This S*t has to stop!

14ksusha said:
My childhood friend and I came to US at the same time. We are of the same nationality and had the same experience of persecution and discrimination. She came with her family who already had relatives here who had sponsored them to come through a refugee program. I was not qualified for a refugee at the American Consulate because I didn't have a single soul in the US who would advocate for me. So I chose a tougher route, anything just to get out of there. My friend had three years of college for free, because she is a refugee. She was getting pretty good checks from IRSA and a local refugee office funded by the government (meaning, all of you, taxpayers). She went on to get her Master's Degree because she didn' really have to work to pay off her school debts since she didnt have any. She went back to COP every year to 'relax and have fun'. Meanwhile, I worked my ass off just to stay alive, with no assistance from anyone, put myself through college, got more or less decent jobs, but not the ones I would love to have and am qualified for just because of the lack of documents. She has been a citizen for seven years now, traveled all over the world, has a job with the government. I still don't have the GC, live and feel like a second-hand person and have to ask for a visa even to the stupid Bahamas. We both have lived here for 15 years. I paid more money to this government than she did, I probably paid for her education. And what do I see in return? Nothing. Now you tell me how the US refugee program is justified? As far as I am concerned we all have met the same standard and should get the same benefits in the same timeframe.
I really do feel you pain..but think about this:
if you are able to came to the united states by yourself that mean you great.. allready have good education after all you can call yourself lucky person.
for most refugee it's almost impossible to came here without the state department help..I still have in my mind the example of africans refugee ..those people really need help .
imagine yourself you can't use a toilet ..you can't ride a bus .. you live since you born as primitive human in the hot sahara of ethopia or south sudan ..famine and war is daily routine for you..until you came to the united states!!! now tell me do you can make it by yourself ? did little help gonna be good for you?
I don't know what kind refugee you talking about here .. but african refugee deserve our respect ..
but I still agree with 14k susha ...as asylee we do need the same benefits ..timefare and help.

:rolleyes:

jubilee said:
I really do feel you pain..but think about this:
if you are able to came to the united states by yourself that mean you great.. allready have good education after all you can call yourself lucky person.
for most refugee it's almost impossible to came here without the state department help..I still have in my mind the example of africans refugee ..those people really need help .
imagine yourself you can't use a toilet ..you can't ride a bus .. you live since you born as primitive human in the hot sahara of ethopia or south sudan ..famine and war is daily routine for you..until you came to the united states!!! now tell me do you can make it by yourself ? did little help gonna be good for you?
I don't know what kind refugee you talking about here .. but african refugee deserve our respect ..
but I still agree with 14k susha ...as asylee we do need the same benefits ..timefare and help.

:rolleyes:

GOOD JOB JUBILEE.

RD Aug 22,2001
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC received Sep 20,2005

thankful said:
Asylees are refugees. One of the requirements for getting asylum is meeting the refugee definition set forth in the INA. Both the refugee and asylum programs are animated by the same humanitarian spirit of the United States. Asylees and refugees basically are eligible for the same benefits: short-term ORR cash and medical assistance, federal welfare payment such as Food Stamp (up to seven years after gaining the eligible status), and grants and loans for college.

The comments that refugees are non contributing are so beyond the pale as not to merit a dignified reply.

I am not saying that refugees are not contributing. If we all come from the same product of the US 'humanitarian spirit', then why asylees have such long processing dates? PLease don't tell me that you all enjoy the same benefits as refugees and even, some of you said, citizens. It's not even about money and benefits. It's a matter of pride for me personally - i have lived here for 15 years and it's still officially not my home. I am truly an alien. Traveling with RTD is the biggest and the most humiliating issue for me, because when you travel, your sense of home is even more enhanced. And sometimes you can't wait to get back and feel welcomed by the IO at the airport. Whereas I am taken in some room and questioned. And this is after 15 years of living here.

14ksusha said:
My childhood friend and I came to US at the same time. We are of the same nationality and had the same experience of persecution and discrimination. She came with her family who already had relatives here who had sponsored them to come through a refugee program. I was not qualified for a refugee at the American Consulate because I didn't have a single soul in the US who would advocate for me. So I chose a tougher route, anything just to get out of there. My friend had three years of college for free, because she is a refugee. She was getting pretty good checks from IRSA and a local refugee office funded by the government (meaning, all of you, taxpayers). She went on to get her Master's Degree because she didn' really have to work to pay off her school debts since she didnt have any. She went back to COP every year to 'relax and have fun'. Meanwhile, I worked my ass off just to stay alive, with no assistance from anyone, put myself through college, got more or less decent jobs, but not the ones I would love to have and am qualified for just because of the lack of documents. She has been a citizen for seven years now, traveled all over the world, has a job with the government. I still don't have the GC, live and feel like a second-hand person and have to ask for a visa even to the stupid Bahamas. We both have lived here for 15 years. I paid more money to this government than she did, I probably paid for her education. And what do I see in return? Nothing. Now you tell me how the US refugee program is justified? As far as I am concerned we all have met the same standard and should get the same benefits in the same timeframe.
blame your luck.if you don't like US refuge program,go back to your stupid country,where you belong.

14ksusha said:
I am not saying that refugees are not contributing. If we all come from the same product of the US 'humanitarian spirit', then why asylees have such long processing dates? PLease don't tell me that you all enjoy the same benefits as refugees and even, some of you said, citizens. It's not even about money and benefits. It's a matter of pride for me personally - i have lived here for 15 years and it's still officially not my home. I am truly an alien. Traveling with RTD is the biggest and the most humiliating issue for me, because when you travel, your sense of home is even more enhanced. And sometimes you can't wait to get back and feel welcomed by the IO at the airport. Whereas I am taken in some room and questioned. And this is after 15 years of living here.

Well you chose the asylum route. Its not like the U.S Imigration begged you to be an asylee. You could've been an H-1 or a student visa holder and tried to become a PR then.

When they take you back to a room, its because its a process. As a matter of fact, new airports being built such as the Detroit Intl Airport don't take you back to a room, there is a special line for "special processing" and you stand in that line behind somoene who got married or somoene who wants to get his Visitor Visa stamped as prospective student..so just chill they dont do that just to you.

africa said:
blame your luck.if you don't like US refuge program,go back to your stupid country,where you belong.

No, I like the refugee program as long as it doesn't bring rude people like yourself, Africa.

Last edited by a moderator:
wantmygcnow said:
Well you chose the asylum route. Its not like the U.S Imigration begged you to be an asylee. You could've been an H-1 or a student visa holder and tried to become a PR then.

When they take you back to a room, its because its a process. As a matter of fact, new airports being built such as the Detroit Intl Airport don't take you back to a room, there is a special line for "special processing" and you stand in that line behind somoene who got married or somoene who wants to get his Visitor Visa stamped as prospective student..so just chill they dont do that just to you.

I didn't chose the asylum route, it was the only route available. I applied for asylum immediately upon arrival. I didn't think of 'what other routes are avaialble to me' to become a PR. I am glad you got your card recenlty and are all positive now. May be I will feel the same way when I get mine. But rigth now allow me to feel bitter towards the USCIS.

I attest to every word of 14ksusha. This is my reality, too. I know a lot if people, who came from the same country, as refugees. They all became citizens a long time ago and all they needed to to do is prove that they belong to a certain religious group. That's all. I, on the other hand survived a murder attempt(is that a persecutioun, ah?) and my choice was very simple - either fleeing or being killed. My asylum case was pending for over 2 years, I was legally barred from seeking employment for almost a year while my asylum case was pending and got not a penny of assistance of any kind! Instead, I had to pay to the f^&*ing INS every step of the way for every breath I take - for every EAD(f^&*ing INS lost them two times and forced to me overpay for EAD twice - extorting my food money) I simply could not put together enough money for some time to pay for my I-485 application(it's free for refugees). And I'm still waiting for some kind of certainty in my life before some asshole decides that the country condition have improved - it does not matter that the people of my ethnicity were extrminated there. Does anybody dare to call this equal treatment?!?!?! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Morning said:
I attest to every word of 14ksusha. This is my reality, too. I know a lot if people, who came from the same country, as refugees. They all became citizens a long time ago and all they needed to to do is prove that they belong to a certain religious group. That's all. I, on the other hand survived a murder attempt(is that a persecutioun, ah?) and my choice was very simple - either fleeing or being killed. My asylum case was pending for over 2 years, I was legally barred from seeking employment for almost a year while my asylum case was pending and got not a penny of assistance of any kind! Instead, I had to pay to the f^&*ing INS every step of the way for every breath I take - for every EAD(f^&*ing INS lost them two times and forced to me overpay for EAD twice - extorting my food money) I simply could not put together enough money for some time to pay for my I-485 application(it's free for refugees). And I'm still waiting for some kind of certainty in my life before some asshole decides that the country condition have improved - it does not matter that the people of my ethnicity were extrminated there. Does anybody dare to call this equal treatment?!?!?! :mad: :mad: :mad:

LOL> Mr. Morning with the Nucn Pro tunc interview and process Remaining, the worst scenario has yet to come............ :D

My dear friends,

Most of the refugees you are talking about are what they call "economic refugees", most of whom fled their countries b/c of bad economic situation. Trust me I feel for them, as my country is just as bad. But, on the other hand, most of these refugees do not know even ho wto write their names, many are old, what does that do to this country, already crowded? more pressure on services. So as a tax paying person, the kind of peope I am talking about (old, no education what soever, and most important, having a tough time to cope with culture shock), are a big problem. I make a decent salary, but not decent enough to be able to buy a house where I live, I do npt qualify for housing assitance, but many of the people I am talking about, qualify, they get to live in houses, they get free medical insurance from the state, and when someone one in their household works a little bit, they get tax refunds anywhere from $5k to $10K. Now aside from this not being fair, anyone in this type of situation would not want to work full time, why? b/c the welfare office would cut their welfare benefits (I know several peope in this situation). ABOVE ALL THEY GET TO BE US CITIZENS LONG BEFORE ME AND YOU!

NEED I SAY MORE? (sorry do not have time to proof read)!

faysal
I'm Ms. Morning. ;) You're right - with nunc pro tunc, which I don't even know when is going to happen, because our dear friends from NSC keep solemn silence - most of the fun is yet to come. I'm seeing a phychologist and plan to obtain a medical waiver not to testify about the details of the case - I was retraumatized during the original asylum interview. This system is designed to care for you, especially if you are an asylee. :D
This is especially for those, who do not know or pretend they do not understand the difference between as asylee and a refugee and how differently they are treated in the US. The source is http://www.cliniclegal.org/content_aasyle.shtml, which is currently unavailable.
Asylees and refugees: disparate treatment
An asylee is a person who fled his or her country because of persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution on the basis of race, religion, nationality, political opinion or membership ina particular social group. This definition, which also applies to refugees, is based on the 1951 United Nations Convention on the Status of Refugees. The only difference between asylees and refugees is where they apply for and receive their status. A refugee applies for and receives refugee status outside the United States and enters the country through a formal resettlement program with a sponsoring agency. An asylee enters the United States and then applies for and receives asylum. Despite the fact that asylees and refugees meet the same legal standard, their treatment in the United States differs dramatically. (To be continued...)

Cap on Asylee Adjustments
Most of us know that the cap on asylee adjustment has been lifted recently, but tens of thousands of asylees are, like myself, are not going to see any benefits of this. In July, 2003, U.S. Citizen
ship and Immigration Services acknowledged that the adjustment backlog was 13 years.
Lawful permanent residence is a precursor to U.S. citizenship, which allows for the full participation of asylees in our society. An LPR may apply for citizenship once he or she has held the LPR status for five years. Citizenship carries many benefits, including rights to vote and hold public office; the posession of a U.S. passport; protection against removal; greater access to employmnet and educational opporunities; and the ability to expedite admission of certain family members to the United States as immeidate relatives. The current asylee-adjustment backlog significantly delays the attainment of citizenship, as well as the greater rights and civic responsibilities that accompany it. (As for now, we have only the right to pay taxes and countless fees to the USCIS - Morning)
Asylee Green Cards Are Not Backdated to the Date of Asylum
When a refugee receives his or her green card, it is backdated to the date of the refugee's entry to the United States. In other words, the date that the refugee entered the United States appears on the refugee's green card as the date that he or she becane a lawful permanent resident. Therefore, after five years in the United States, refugees are eligible for citizenship.
Tha date on as asylee's green card is not backdated to the date of the asylum grant. Instead, at the time of adjustment of status to lawful permanent residence, it is backdated one-year, regardless of how many years after the asylum grant the adjustment of status takes place. Combined with the current 13-year asylee-adjustment backlog, this rule greately delays an asylee's citizenship eligibility. The longer an asylee waits in the processing backlog for adjustment of status, the longer he or she will have to wait for citizenship, as eligibility for citizenship requires five years of status as a lawful permanent resident.
Asylees Must Pay Adjustment of Status Application Fees
While a provision of the law exempts refugees from paying ever-rising (Morning) fee for an adjustment of status application, no similar exemption exists for asylees. (To be continued...)

Asylee Acsess to Resettlement Services
Since asylees are not sponsored by resettlement agencies like refugees, they are often unaware of the services available to them. These services incude job preparation and placement, English language classes, cash assistance, madical assistance, and treatment for victims of torture. A CLINIC-provided national referral line designed to link asylees with agencies providing services for which they are eligible, was implemented in 2001. Persons who receive asylum at an Asylum Office receive very limited information about the information and referral line in a letter that the Asylum Office issues to each asylee. Asylees, who receive asylum from an Immigration Judge, receive no information about the information and referral line. In August, 2002, CLINIC sent a letter to all Immigration Judges about the national information and referra line for asylees. The letter informed Immigration Judges, (who are responsible for about 35 per cent of all asylum approvals), of the referral line and asked them to provide the toll-free number to aproved asylees. Despite CLINIC's request, the Office of the Chief Immigration Judge has declined to encourage its judges to give notice of the referral line to the asylees. This impedes efforts to increase asylee's awareness of benefits for which they are eligible. (To be continued...)

Asylees Are Not Eligible for Travel Loans
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) provides, on a regular basis, travel loans to refugees but not to asylees. IOM travel loans are interest free and cover the cost of a refugee's travel (as well as the cost travel of his or her derivative family members) to the United States. Refugees repay the loans over a pre-determined period of time as indicated in a promissory note, thereby enabling them to establish good credit in the United States. The IOM travel loan account is funded in part by from the State Department's budget, specifically, the Bureau of Population, Refugees and Migration (PRM), whose mandate includes refugees but not asylees. As a result, asylees have traditionally not been allowed to participate in the IOM travel loan repayment program. The spouses and minor chidren of individuals granted asylum in the United States as derivative or following-to-join asylees. Frequently, however, many derivative asylees cannot afford the high cost of overses airfare. Therefore, despite appoved derivative asylum for their chidren and spouses, asylees in the United States often remain separated from family members overseas. While overseaes, the asylee's family members continue to be exposed to the same dangers that forced the asylee to flee to the United States. The longer the individual granted asylum in the United States remians unable to meet his or her family's travel expenses, the longer the family reunification is delayed, and overseas family members remain in precaroius situations.

wantmygcnow said:

Want ,, I am glad to see you positive now and forgot the pain of waiting.

bringslite
Am I reading this correctly? Processing date for refugees is 01/05? Get out of here...

Not to put anyone down, and not all refugees, but in the city where I live there is a ton of them, most of them are milking the welfare system and driving nice cars, with the majority do not even speak English! And here I am (as a tiny example), being here for over 17 years, paid over $15K in taxes this year alone, and have to wait 5 freaking years before getting my GC? Someone cools me down before I get my blood pressure shooting off the roof

Yes, my dear! It's the reality of the US immigration policy: some refugees are more equal than others. Suck it up, go on with your life and get a citizenship as soon as you can - and then vote to eliminate this injustice.

Morning said:
bringslite
Am I reading this correctly? Processing date for refugees is 01/05? Get out of here...

Not to put anyone down, and not all refugees, but in the city where I live there is a ton of them, most of them are milking the welfare system and driving nice cars, with the majority do not even speak English! And here I am (as a tiny example), being here for over 17 years, paid over $15K in taxes this year alone, and have to wait 5 freaking years before getting my GC? Someone cools me down before I get my blood pressure shooting off the roof

Yes, my dear! It's the reality of the US immigration policy: some refugees are more equal than others. Suck it up, go on with your life and get a citizenship as soon as you can - and then vote to eliminate this injustice.

Thank you morning.....

You are 100% correct.

I am now in the process of writing to my congressman to protest this issue. I am active with my local party, and once becoming a US citizen, running for the Congress is a goal of mine, and then a lot of this BS will stop! I promise you.....Just remember to vote for me :D

14ksusha said:
No, I like the refugee program as long as it doesn't bring rude people like yourself, Africa.
then,stop bitching.you do not own this country and you have chosen to come through back door.i have learnt to be rude from you,when you said even stupid bahamas required visa.14ksusha

bringslite
Just remember to vote for me
It's impossible to forget what's being done to me and thousands of other deserving people aka asylees, who are being put through hell of dealing with the INS and treated like criminals. Rest assured, you'll get my vote! :cool:

africa said:
then,stop bitching.you do not own this country and you have chosen to come through back door.i have learnt to be rude from you,when you said even stupid bahamas required visa.14ksusha

Please refrain from this kind of conduct. I did use the word 'stupid' in relation to the Bahamas. I am sorry if I offended you, obviously I used the word 'stupid' meaning 'trivial, not important'. In this context it meant that with RTD I should be able to go to the Bahamas without a visa. But this RTD document is so weak that even little 'vacation ' countries require visa with it. Please stop from harrasing me and my background.