Things we need to do after getting Citizenship

arb123

Registered Users (C)
Hi Every one in this great Forum,

Can I please know what are the things we need to do after getting citizenship. On 8/13/09, I took oath. As per their letter we need to:
- Update the status with SS
- Voter's registration
- Applying Passport

Do we need to update with Motor Vehicle Department?
Any other things we need to do

Which Facility is best for getting Passport?

Or send me link for any thread already we have in this forum

Thanks for your help

Regards,
ARB123

I would suggest going to www.newcitizen.us. It is a perfect website that explains what you need and need not do.

Here is what I would do:
  • Update the status with SS - yes, in case you want to get a new job and they use e-Verify or if your current SS card has restrictions on it.
  • Voter's registration - not necessarily.
  • Applying Passport - yes, because it is another more convenient proof of your citizenship and also a travel document
  • DMV - I would only update my status when the DL is up for renewal.

I would suggest going to www.newcitizen.us. It is a perfect website that explains what you need and need not do.
I would be very careful of that website. Some of it's information, such as how to sign the certificate of naturalization, is out of date. Other stuff on there is just plain wrong, such as the scare-mongering information about what happens if you lose the certificate.

I would be very careful of that website. Some of it's information, such as how to sign the certificate of naturalization, is out of date. Other stuff on there is just plain wrong, such as the scare-mongering information about what happens if you lose the certificate.

It's good to take that kind of unofficial information with a grain of salt. However, I have seen posts by people in this forums whose lives were seriously affected by a loss of a certificate. Basically they are on hold for months waiting for a replacement without a possibility of getting an ID or social security card. Of course the posts I've seen are from people who either lost all ID, or never had a passport, didn't have drivers license and social security card because they lost a wallet that contained both.

Would you please be so kind of pointing what exactly you think is scare mongering about losing the certificate? :)

Would you please be so kind of pointing what exactly you think is scare mongering about losing the certificate? :)
Let me quote from the offending website:

"Since you turn in your green card at the naturalization ceremony, your Certificate of Naturalization is all you have to prove your right to live and work in America."
This is clearly wrong - a US passport serves the same purpose and for work authorization just an unrestricted social security card and state-issued photo ID will do too.

"Your whole way of life and livelihood in our great nation depend on you having and keeping your Certificate of Naturalization. It should only be carried and used when you have to legally prove your citizenship (like at the border or when applying for a job)."
The first sentence is clearly a hyperbole since, as already said, a passport is just as good. As for the second sentence, a Certificate of Naturalization would be of no use at a national border. (Of course, they are perfectly correct when they say not to carry your certificate unless you need to.)

"Furthermore, with the INS being reorganized as Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) under the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), there is an added risk that the INS may accidentally destroy, alter, or lose your naturalization records. This would leave your Certificate of Naturalization as the only genuine proof that you became a US citizen."
Not only is this very out of date, it is classic conspiracy theory type stuff and doesn't warrant further comment.

"If you lose your Certificate of Naturalization, you risk losing the life you have built for yourself and your family here in the United States."
Again, a ridiculous hyperbole designed to scare people.

Of course losing your Certificate of Naturalization would be a right pain, costing time and money to correct, simply because losing any official document is a pain. However, it is certainly not the end of the world.

Let me quote from the offending website:

"Since you turn in your green card at the naturalization ceremony, your Certificate of Naturalization is all you have to prove your right to live and work in America."
This is clearly wrong - a US passport serves the same purpose and for work authorization just an unrestricted social security card and state-issued photo ID will do too.
Sometimes people don't obtain a passport. I agree it is outdated, as the I-9 requirements have eliminated the certificate as an acceptable document. I agree that drivers license and social security card is fine for employment. However, I've read of people losing these and having a lot of trouble rebuilding their identities without the naturalization certificate or certificate of citizenship.
"Your whole way of life and livelihood in our great nation depend on you having and keeping your Certificate of Naturalization. It should only be carried and used when you have to legally prove your citizenship (like at the border or when applying for a job)."
The first sentence is clearly a hyperbole since, as already said, a passport is just as good. As for the second sentence, a Certificate of Naturalization would be of no use at a national border. (Of course, they are perfectly correct when they say not to carry your certificate unless you need to.)
Yes, comment is outdated because the WHTI requirements have eliminated the naturalization certificate as a document valid to cross the border, and it cannot be used for I-9 anymore. Still the comment applies of not carrying the certificate around unless necessary. In this case pretty much the only uses left is to apply for a passport and certain jobs and schools (colleges) that ask to see it.
Yes, it is a bit of a hyperbole, but for some people seems to be true. If they lose a wallet containing the driver license, social security card and naturalization certificate it is pretty tough for them to have proof of employability again.

"Furthermore, with the INS being reorganized as Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) under the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), there is an added risk that the INS may accidentally destroy, alter, or lose your naturalization records. This would leave your Certificate of Naturalization as the only genuine proof that you became a US citizen."
Not only is this very out of date, it is classic conspiracy theory type stuff and doesn't warrant further comment.
Yes, I agree with your observation.

"If you lose your Certificate of Naturalization, you risk losing the life you have built for yourself and your family here in the United States."
Again, a ridiculous hyperbole designed to scare people.

More than anything it is repetitive as there was a similar line you quoted earlier. Yes, it is not as bad as that, but it could take a month or a couple of months to replace a lost certificate (expediting it and being lucky).

Of course losing your Certificate of Naturalization would be a right pain, costing time and money to correct, simply because losing any official document is a pain. However, it is certainly not the end of the world.

Agreed, not the end of the world. It is still good advice to make a good number of photocopies or scans and keep the certificate in a safe place and not carry it around unnecessarily. It would be good to send an e-mail to the webmaster to make those points and ask to update with the US passport card, and suggesting people to obtain both the passport card and passport book for additional proof of citizenship and protection against loss of citizenship proof documents.

Thanks for taking the time of collecting these quotes.

I would double dms1 here. Certificat of naturalisation may bring some good memories from your naturalisation ceremony, but practically it has a lot of disadvantages compared to the US passport. The only two things that the certificate can do that the passport cannot is confirming a name change (if any) and filing a I-130 because you need to put a certificate number there.

I would double dms1 here. Certificat of naturalisation may bring some good memories from your naturalisation ceremony, but practically it has a lot of disadvantages compared to the US passport. The only two things that the certificate can do that the passport cannot is confirming a name change (if any) and filing a I-130 because you need to put a certificate number there.
There is another important advantage of the certificate ... it doesn't expire. Some states don't accept expired passports for driver's licenses or voter registration, but will accept a naturalization certificate.

Now, as the certificate has gone from I-9, those states will force to change.
No. States set their own requirements for driver's licenses and voter registration, which are usually different from I-9 requirements. For driver's licenses, some don't accept things that are acceptable for I-9, and some accept documents that aren't eligible for I-9. I-9 has been around for decades, but it is only recently (starting with 9/11) that states started requiring proof of citizenship or legal status for licenses.

For voter registration it is even more lax, with some states (probably most) still not requiring any proof of citizenship at all ... all you have to do is answer YES to the question "I am a US citizen" or sometimes there is no such question, it only has the words "I am a US citizen" written somewhere in fine print and you sign the bottom of the page.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP might want to file G-639 to request a copy of your a file. You will be surprised to see what they have there.

If you were registered with your consulate, you might want to inform them of you becoming a US citizen. I was registered with both the Canadian and Pakistani consulates in Chicago and I updated their databases when I became a US citizen.

Any other things we need to do