The whole greencard journey (stamp experience detailed)

RD_OCT2001

Registered Users (C)
As some of you guys might know, my greencard case (RD: Oct 2001) was approved on Feb 1st, 2003. I went to get the greencard stamp (I-551) on the passport yesterday and this ended my whole greencard journey (of course, I will wait for the physical greencard, but that is irrevalent and not too important).

Here is complete details of my case and hope that can provide some helpful information for you guys....

-->Sep of 1998:
started the greencard process by filing for Labor Certification (LC).

-->March of 2000
Reduction in Recruition (RIR) was allowed as an alternative mean to get the Labor Certifcation. Thus, filed the RIR in March of 2000

-->Some time in Mid year of 2000
Was told by INS to withdraw one of the LC applications. After deep consideration, decided to withdraw the LC application filed in 1998 and keep the RIR filed in 2000. (i.e. Wasted about one and half year)

-->Some time towards the end of 2000 or begining of 2001
Got my LC throught RIR and filed the I-140.

-->About August time of 2001
I-140 got approved and now gathering information for I-485. Was deciding whether I should go for Consular Processing or regular I-485. At the time, I was thinking of Consular Processing since there are a lot of application filed for I485 at the same time since the "official backlog" suddenly disappeared.

-->Then comes the Sep 11st, 2001 event which is making us all INDIRECT VICTIMS.
Para legal kept convicing me NOT to do the consular processing as I will have to leave the USA to have the interview. Considering all of those security measurement developed after Sep 11, 2001. She ABSOLUTELY advised me for a I485 simply because it is safer.

-->Then comes the Anthrax scare which slows down all those document delivery between the para legal and me...

-->October of 2001.
Decided to go for I-485. Completely abandon the idea of consular processing. Did my medical as well and filed it together with the I-485.

-->Jan of 2002
Done with the finger print.

-->The processing time for I485 seems to be rather acceptable (around 9 or 10 months) toward the second half of the 2002. Then comes the stupid security computer system upgrade in INS to get a mandatory clearance from FBI...We did NOT see any approval for near 2 months....

-->Keep checking the status online everyday but keep seeing "we received your finger print...blah, blah, blah..."
-->Feb 1st, 2003.
Decided NOT to check the status for a week after checking it on Jan 31, 2003.

-->Feb 5th, 2003.
Could not resist the temptation of 1 week. Fooled myself that 5 days break of not checking is enough... And guess what, the online status said that it was approved on Feb 1st, 2003. The very first day I stop checking...

-->Feb 10th, 2003
Went to pick up the approval notice in midtown manhattan myself. Did not want to have any chance for the approval notice to get lost by messengers. (I have never lost any thing while messenging..but I figured, it is the approval notice and too important for any risk, even 0.00001% of chance)

-->Feb 14th, 2003 (Stamp experience)
Approval notice said I can do stamp on any Friday. Thus got to the Federal Plaza in NYC at 7:00am on the very first Friday available, Feb 14th, 2003.
There are 2 lines there. The long one is for the Broadway entrance. The short one is for the worth street entrance. To get the stamp, BE SURE to get into the short line (which is for the Worth street entrance).
The approval notice said Room 1-102. However, apparently, it changes to Room 300 on the 3rd floor recently. Got to the Room 3-300 at 7:45am. The door will NOT be opened until 8:00am.

Also, the approval letter asked you to bring:
a) passport with I-94 card
b) the approval letter
c) 2 ADIT style pictures.
---------------------
However, the fact is that you need to bring your EAD card too, if you have any. (see my detail steps below)
---------------------
Step 1:
A clerk will collect your approval notice and ask you to have a seat.
Step 2: Then your name will be called and a clerk will ask you to write down a new street (which could be different than the address on your approval notice) where you want the card to send to. Asked for your birthday then asked to be seated again...
Step 3: Then your name will be called again...Asked to turn in your EAD card which was not mentioned on the approval notice. Did the finger print, and signed some paper/card. Asked for passport, 2 ADIT style pictures. then Asked to be seated again.
Step 4: Your name will be called again. This time, you are given your passport back with the greencard stamp on it. was told that the physical card will take anywhere from 6 months to 12 months. The stamp is good for 1 year but can be re-stamp again, if you for whatever reasons, the physical card did not arrive within a year....

But again, the physical card is irrevalent. THE FACT OF MATTER IS THAT YOU WILL BECOME THE PERNAMENT RESIDENCE OF THE UNITED STATES from the very moment you got your stamped.

It has been around 5 years since this long journey started. Just like most of us here, we all experienced frucstration/anxiety/etc...or some sort from this greencard process. Now that I am going to sign off from this board, I want to wish everyone good luck.... This board and the people here has been very helpful...

Regards

Conbrats

How come you went and Picked up the approval from Manhattan... Should you be getting it from Vermont???
Please clarify...

I live and work in New York City. VSC sent the approval notice to the law firm in Manhattan and a courtersy copy to my home as well...

The law firm could send the original approval notice to me but it was easy enough for me to pick it up from the law firm directly...

Hope that clears things out for you.

Congratulations and question ab't Photos

Congrates..Enjoy the Freedom

When you get the ADIT photos do you need to cut them in the size INS wants or the officer will do it at stamping??
I will be going for stamping next week and I took ADIT photos but the studio guys didnot cut as per INS style.

Please reply

anyones reply about this appreciated..

Danny

RD_OCT2001 or anybody

Is the courtesy copy(of approval notice) enough for stamping?

Should the ADIT photos be taken recently...I have a couple that were taken in Sept 02...will these be ok? Is there a photo studio in the bldg?

Can anybody give me directions to the Newark office(from Newark Penn station) where stamping is done?

Thanks...

Is the courtesy copy(of approval notice) enough for stamping?

ANS: This question has come up and has been answered a million times. Yes! courtesy copy is enough for stamping.

Should the ADIT photos be taken recently...I have a couple that were taken in Sept 02...will these be ok?

ANS: INS uses a 30 day rule. However, it should be fine as long as your picture resembles you.

Is there a photo studio in the bldg? Can anybody give me directions to the Newark office(from Newark Penn station) where stamping is done?

ANS: Sorry. Do not know the Newark Scenario.

Continued on my greencard journey (Please refer to the very first message on this thread).

2/14/03:
Passport stamped
3/11/03:
Online status changed to: "New card ordered. Blah, blah, blah..."
3/24/03:
Received the physical greencard in the mail box

My greencard journey has now been completed and I wish everyone here good luck!

That was a nice post and detailed too. It lets us relate to the events that will take palce or have taken place in some cases. Hope those approved will post their experiences in the same way. Good luck with the GC and ensuring peace with it.

RD_OCT2001 ,

You mentioned that you went yourself to get the approval notice ! Is it possible to go & get it from local INS if online status said "approved" ?

Thanks

Excellent writing.. well deserved ... Remember, there are some still out there waiting for GC even before you applied!!

Mine on regular LC dated 1/14/1998.. still waiting for GC.....

cungrats

Very detailed and helpful writing ... I guess most of us should follow you as it help other with a lot of things ..

Thanx

The original approval notice (letter) got sent to my lawyer's office (in midtown Manhattan). I figured it was close enough (in distance) for me to pick it up instead of wasting time in mail deliverying...

For stamping, the officer at INS just put a greencard stamp (I-551) on one of your pages.

Hope that help!

Last edited by a moderator: