The reasons why your I140/I485 is pending for current filers

Name Check is a very interesting topic.

When I run the scanner, I can see two different online messages for fingerprint:

Online status message (1):
On xxxxxx, xxxx, the results of your fingerprint review for your I485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status were received, and processing has resumed on your case. We will mail you a notice if further action is needed, or when a decision is made.

Online status message (2):
On xxxxxx, xxxx, the fingerprints for your I485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status were collected and are pending review.

I guess (just guess) the second message is the Name Check Pending. Anyone, please comfirm this, if you have Name Check pending experience. Actually, most cases are in the first status. GC201, would you please let us know which message have been seen for your case? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,
My 140 and 485 -- 10/23/2003 -- FP done on dec 14 2003

I sent the Fax to FBI for Name check --to the same number you had given will this trigger some response or My appln going forward..

Do I need to send email or anything elseto speed up the appln process...

Please write ....

Deepa

GC201 and kailashhr

Can you both please post the online message for your cases. As we are getting mixed signals as to what type message can be related to pending name checks. May be they are not at all related to the name checks or anything pending on FBI side and something pending on USCIS side.

Would appreciate that.

Also GC201, looking at the letter you send to FBI it appears you already knew
1. when name check request was send to FBI.
2. that it was pending.

So did you call USCIS before to find out that the name check is still pending or you just write the letter assuming the FP dates as the date when USCIS send the request for name check and then further assumed they are pending.

Thanks.

How to check the status for Name Check

If you want to check the status for Name Check, you may e-mail FBI and tell your name, date of birth, and Alien #. The e-mail address is:FBINNCP@ic.fbi.gov. Then you will get reply from FBI, and tell you they may have done Name Check, or may have not done, and tell you when they received Name Check from USCIS. The Fax # is: 202-324-3367. You may get the result after 3 days.

My I485 status information in USCIS web site is same most of yours as :

On June xx, 2003, the results of your fingerprint review for your I485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status were received, and processing has resumed on your case. We will mail you a notice if further action is needed, or when a decision is made.

blackbird2000,

The "..pending review" message on your I-185 could mean that:

#1. FP and name check have been cleared but USCIS didn't update the status to a more appropriate "..processing has resumed...".

#2. FP or most probably, the name check has been pending with the FBI.

My experience was #1. That had been the status message for my I-485 (and wife's) after the FP. I had the peace of mind however, because the following actions confirmed that both had been cleared:

1. FP results (phonecall)
2. Name check result (need to fax a request. FYI, "record check" and "name check" are the same, I think.)

The I-485 message stayed that way and changed only after the approval - it changed to "This case has been approved.".

I recommend you find some time to undertake both actions to make sure that you're good to go. Goodluck!

rgeneblazo,

Thank you very much for your advice and sharing your experience. Congratulate your approval.

Actually, my online status is in the "resumed" status. But per GC201, "resumed" only means FP is done, doesn't means Name Check is done. I will try to contact FBI next week.

FP Number???

What is the FBI Number (tel no or fax) for checking the status on FP?

Can anyone tell me that?

Thanks,
Krr720

How many of you have name check pending?

I contacted my congressman and he told me that my name check is pending at FBI since last July. I do not know how long it will take them to clear it. Man, this is really frustrating. I will send a fax to them. Does anybody have any idea how long it take them to process the name check?

EB-2 I-140/I485 RD 4/17/03 ND 4/18/03
FP 7/2/03 (Expired)

This is all great ....

First of all ... I really appreciate all the information in this thread.

But as mentioned earlier by someone ... since there is no way of telling, if you have the "resumed" online msg, whether or not your name check has been done by FBI, what should trigger me to request status? Should I contact them if my case has not been approved within a time limit or what?

I am really confused now. ....

FOR Greencard12

greencard12,

How do you know that name check is pending in your case? What is the exact status message does it display in your I-1485 case on USCIS website? That would help in understanding and to compare if name check is pending in my case.
Please reply.

Thanks.

I did send fax and email to FBI on Sep 30,2004 and I have received email from Hardy yesterday saying that they had done Record check on April 16,2003 and forwarded result to INS.

Do we need second Recod check?, because I am done with my second FP on Aug 28,2004.

One more doubt is My first FP was done on May 20,2003. How come FBI done record check on April 16,2003?

Do INS send Record Check request to FBI before they send FP to us?

I confused.

Thanks in Advance.

Fbi I-140

Do you need FBI name check clearance for only I -140 application also [ not 485 cocurrent.]
It's a CP case.

For_labor said:
greencard12,

How do you know that name check is pending in your case? What is the exact status message does it display in your I-1485 case on USCIS website? That would help in understanding and to compare if name check is pending in my case.
Please reply.

Thanks.

I have contacted congressman office. They told me so. I sent a few emails to FBI to make inquiry on name check. No reply received from them so far.

I think the only way is to ask USCIS. then We can know if it is cleared.

waitintoooolong said:
First of all ... I really appreciate all the information in this thread.

But as mentioned earlier by someone ... since there is no way of telling, if you have the "resumed" online msg, whether or not your name check has been done by FBI, what should trigger me to request status? Should I contact them if my case has not been approved within a time limit or what?

I am really confused now. ....

When Name Check is done?

Does "Name Check" has any thing to do with Finger Printing? Is that possible before Finger Printing?

GC201 said:
Name Check and Record Check are different. Record check is to check whether we have crime in USA, and is done immediately from FBI after we finish Finger Printing in USCIS. Name Check is to do check whether our name is samilar with terrorist.

USCIS has to hold our I-140/I-485 for concurrent files until USCIS has received both Record Check result and Name Check result from FBI.

Again, PLEASE send your FAX to FBI in order to expedite Name Check. The FAX number is: 202-324-3367