The Oath is Done

WBH

Registered Users (C)
I did my oath today at Philadelphia District Office. For those who have not done the oath, here is how it goes: the whole process lasted roughly 90 minutes. It has three steps:

1 the court assitant call each person's name
and when a person is called, he/she present his signed oath letter with all
question answered, then go to another court assitant who hold your certificate. You verify the infomation is all right, then go back to your seat.
2: After everyone is done with 1, a judge comes and all applicants stand up
and acompanying family member remain seated, then everyone takes the
oath. It is at this step applicant officially becomes a US citizen.
3: The judge leaves and the court assitance call applicant's name one by one
and hand out the certificate and everyonew who receive the certificate go back to his/her seat. When everyone is done, then everyone is free to leave
(The people who handle voter registration come and anyone can register to vote but this is not part of naturalization)

Now I am done (the spouse is still waiting). On the certificate, it is said
it is punishable to photocopy natualization certificates. So can we still photocopy it? I think I am most likely going to photocopy and scan it anyway for recording purpose. No matter what, it is not a deportable offense anymore, neither is it a de-naturalizable offense though I don't know what is the maximual penalty for doing it.

Except for this photocopying issue, I don't think I have any question
left for myself. I know how to apply for a passport because I have done
that several times for my kids.

Thanks for everyone and good lucks to everyone.

Hallelujah! :)

Yes, it is ok to make photocopies, or scan for your own purposes. Most people in this forum do that. It might make your life much easier if the certificate is lost and you need a replacement.

Congratulations! Did you declare the speeding ticket you got on the way to oath? Wait, there's another thread to discuss traffic citations.:D

Congratulations WBH! Your long wait is finally over. Your postings on this forum have always been a fascinating combination of wisdom, common sense, and entertainment! :)

Congratulations! Did you declare the speeding ticket you got on the way to oath? Wait, there's another thread to discuss traffic citations.:D

I did not get a ticket. I merely said I would probably not have disclosed it
if I had one the day before. Before the ceremony, the court assistant
declared the ceremony would take 90- minutes and advised those who
did meter parking go outside to put more quarters avoid a parking ticket.
I just wondered if I wanted ask if anyone who go outside and find he got a ticket need to answer Yes to that question.

I arrived 2 hours early and parked my car into a garage to avoid such
troubles.

.......and advised those who
did meter parking go outside to put more quarters avoid a parking ticket.
I just wondered if I wanted ask if anyone who go outside and find he got a ticket need to answer Yes to that question.

You did ask. Admit it :D:D:D. Anyway congratulations I am really happy for you

Congratulations WBH!!

BTW, I had my interview today and I did shake hands with the IO when the interview was done :)

Hallelujah! :)

Yes, it is ok to make photocopies, or scan for your own purposes. Most people in this forum do that. It might make your life much easier if the certificate is lost and you need a replacement.

Yes. I re-read the warning on the certificate. It says it is punishable by US law to copy, print, or photograph this certificate without lawful authority.
I believe one has lawful authority over one's own certificate so it is legal
to make copies.

Congratulations

Congratulations WBH!

I have seen that warning for photocopying etc, on other documents like Birth Certificates too. But in case of Birth Certificates it is easier to request and get duplicates unlike the Naturalization Ceritificate.

Congratulations WBH!

I have seen that warning for photocopying etc, on other documents like Birth Certificates too. But in case of Birth Certificates it is easier to request and get duplicates unlike the Naturalization Ceritificate.

Thanks.

Naturalization certificate is needed for the first time passport application.
Is it still needed to renew passport or apply for 2nd passport after the
first one expire?

By the way, our A# is printed on the nat' certificate and it is called GSF#.
(it is wriiten in curly letters but I think it is GSF)

What does GSF stand for?

Thanks.

Naturalization certificate is needed for the first time passport application.
Is it still needed to renew passport or apply for 2nd passport after the
first one expire?

By the way, our A# is printed on the nat' certificate and it is called GSF#.
(it is wriiten in curly letters but I think it is GSF)

What does GSF stand for?

Congrats!!! Finally!!

You have the "Legal" right and "Lawful" authority to duplicate your Nat Certificate.

And those letters are not GSF...it is CIS (Citizenship & Immigration Service)..look closely.

You have asked and raised several questions on this forum...Now since you are done with Oath, are you planning to publish a FAQ thread? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
WBH,

I had read somewhere that they hand out authorization letters to do a walk-in at the Philadelphia Passport Agency at the time of the Oath. Is this true?

WBH,

I had read somewhere that they hand out authorization letters to do a walk-in at the Philadelphia Passport Agency at the time of the Oath. Is this true?

It did not happen yesterday at least the court did not mention such
thing on its own.