• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

The medical

captainwomble

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I'm doing CP and am nearing my interview date.
Can someone please provide more details on the medical?
What sort of stuff do they look for?
What can 'fail' you?

They make a thorax x-ray to check for tuberculosis, take blood from you to check for AIDS and check you vaccination records. Thats are the points I know.

not just for AIDS, but also other communicable diseases. Also, they are looking for mental problems that may make you dangerous to yourself or others.

We had HIV and Syphillis test on our bloods but it may vary per country.

I spoke with the Dr months before our medical appointment to get the vacinations approved. We sent them our medical history and did blood tests for things that we didn;t have documented history for a month before the medical to show we had had Chickenpox and measles prior in our childhoods and had antibodies in our blood. In our case, I was told to wait to do the blood tests for antibodies within 30 days of the medical date. Any earlier wouldn't be accepted.

The actual medical seems to vary, but ours was a basic physical. You know, strip to your shorts, touch your toes, read the eye chart, look in the ears, listen to lungs, feel around your stomach, and a quick look at the privates. They also did a urine sample which I assume is for a drug test.

Anyway, that was our experience, but again, it seems to vary by country and Dr. Hope that helps.

no, blood tests and vaccinations don't vary by country. They are all the same for everyone.

In the States there was nothing beyond a blood test and a stethoscope.

is there anything i can do beforehand?

I'm in good health but should I get booster shots or anything?
If i don't have the required vaccinations (i've no idea what i'm vaccinated against or if i've had measles, etc as a kid) will the doctor at the medical provide these (the vaccinations i mean, not the measles)?

yes, you need to make sure that you have all the vaccinations according to your age group, and that you bring proof. You also need a tetanus booster every 10 years, make sure you have had one within 10 years.

Yes, the doctor will give you all the vaccinations required, if you don't have proof that you had them already.