• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

The Journey Starts

G'morning from Virginia!

I arrived yesterday morning at Washington Dulles (IAD) and we were the first international flight in at the time so I got to passport control within minutes.

The officer took out a knife (a knife big enough to skin a bear or goat!) and opened up the sealed envelope from Tanzania and looked at the documents (for those who are wondering what is inside the envelope, it is the same documents taken during the interview and copied by the US Embassy where you were interviewed) and didn't ask me anything at all and simply stamped my passport with an entry visa and the sheet attached to the sealed envelope with an entry visa.

After stamping my mother's passport he instructed us to go to the first booth to see another officer who took my envelope from me and looked at the documents. He then asked for my index finger (and out of my stupidity and nervousness I gave him my thumb lol - I felt like a total idiot when that happened lol) and he took my index fingerprint and made me sign a form and said "Welcome To The United States" and I simply went to pick up my luggage with mum.

We then declared the funds we had and what was inside our bags (the officer was very polite and friendly and shared a joke or two with me) and then scooted off to a back office and came back and said "your paperwork is perfect and you're the first person who filled the money declaration form right the first go because everyone messes it up! Welcome to United States." and walked out of the airport to a drizzly Virginia morning.

We (my brother and I) were snooping around a little yesterday and we will be going to Bank of America to get an account opened up and then to AT&T to get a line.

By the way with regards to phone lines, the salesperson at AT&T said I can't get a contract immediately until I get my driver's license and social security BUT she said I can obtain a SIM and use it on my existing phone from Tanzania and go post-paid until I'm eligible for a contract and they have different plans for this and the only requirement is the entry stamp/visa in the passport.

After visiting the bank today, we'll stop by AT&T and then the DMV to get some information (we already have some but we're trying to fast track the driver's license) and then stop by the car dealers to check out some cars I've been researching.

On the other side as all my stuff is registered in Pennsylvania, I'll drive down there on Wednesday and get my SSN from there and go to the DMV there to get my license sorted out and I can pay $400 and transfer it to a Virginia license right after that and I will also fill in the change of address form for Homeland Security and change my address to Virginia.

For those wondering what it is like here, well I have to admit it is way much nicer than Allentown, PA. We're 10-15 minutes away from Washington, DC and Arlington and all the other major areas like Chantilly, Fairfax etc. There is a wonderful mix of people here and different restaurants from cheap to expensive and malls. I would personally recommend this place from just seeing it for a day and I myself am considering hacking it out here for 6 months and settling in nice and easy before I start to relocate to Texas.

I will keep you all posted on developments and give my best guidance as I am meeting a tax consultant and immigration attorney in the coming days as well.

Case No - DV2013AF0007XXXX (applied the first time and got it the first time - lucky me!)
Entry Checked - 1st May 2012
Forms Sent To KCC - 10th May 2012
Received By KCC - 12th May 2012
Confirmation From KCC - 25th May 2012 after I sent them an email
2nd NL - 14th June 2013
Police Clearance (TZ) - 13th June 2013
Police Clearance (UK) - 21st June 2013
Medicals - Completed 24th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013
Bank Statements - 22nd July 2013
Interview - Wednesday, August 7th 2013 @ 8am - US Embassy Tanzania - SUCCESS!!!
Visa Pick Up - August 14th 2013 - PICKED UP
Departure Date - August 17th 2013 - booked already on Emirates!
Port of Entry - Washington Dulles - August 18th 2013

That was quite a detailed account there momo, I am happy for you.
Funny enough, you have managed to somehow whet my appetite when it comes to PA!
Congratulations on a successful journey and welcome. Though I will be leaving the states soon for my home country, I hope my DV story would be as cool as yours.
Keep us posted please!

Enjoy your stay. hopefully, we can share a matini someday.

That was quite a detailed account there momo, I am happy for you.
Funny enough, you have managed to somehow whet my appetite when it comes to PA!
Congratulations on a successful journey and welcome. Though I will be leaving the states soon for my home country, I hope my DV story would be as cool as yours.
Keep us posted please!

Enjoy your stay. hopefully, we can share a matini someday.

Hey Roselyna, pleasure to hear from you again :)

Thank you for your kind sentiments and I'm all up for a drink when you're back in town.

All the best with your trip home!

Case No - DV2013AF0007XXXX (applied the first time and got it the first time - lucky me!)
2nd NL - 14th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013

We've been here 3 months and we're still trying to have it sink in that we're here as American permanent residents and not having to go 'home' somewhere else :D

Still also trying to figure out politics and the whole system. It seems like there's a whole lot more politicians here than in Australia. Which is never a good thing :p Just more of them to stuff things up quicker. And I'm not looking forward to the years of campaigning they do here. Australia called a federal election earlier this month and it'll be all over early September. Which is the way it should be. Here, they go on and on and on for months and months just to pick the person running for the party, then more months of "vote for me" BS. Gawd! And we won't even be able to vote!

But, we're loving it here.

Vichel, good to hear from you again mate!

Curiously how long did it take you to get your SSN and GC? Did they arrive together or separately?

I'm a little stuck because I can't get an apartment without a social security so I'm wondering if I'll have sit on my backside and wait to get the social security in order to open a bank account or driver's license (although I don't believe I'll need a social security for a driver's license if I'm not mistaken).

Do you or others already in the US have some information on this matter?

Much appreciated!

2nd NL - 14th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013

You don't have to seat back and wait to receive your SSN, walk into the nearest SSA office and fill out a form. If your information is already in their system, they will write out the number for you and ask you to expect the card itself in the mail. If you're not already in the system, then by filling out and submitting the form, you jump start the process. You will need to take your international passport (and birth certificate, I think) along with you. You can download and fill out the form from online before you go or pick up one at the SSA and fill it out while waiting.

You don't have to seat back and wait to receive your SSN, walk into the nearest SSA office and fill out a form. If your information is already in their system, they will write out the number for you and ask you to expect the card itself in the mail. If you're not already in the system, then by filling out and submitting the form, you jump start the process. You will need to take your international passport (and birth certificate, I think) along with you. You can download and fill out the form from online before you go or pick up one at the SSA and fill it out while waiting.

Thank you Sm1smom, you ROCK! :)

2nd NL - 14th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013

Curiously how long did it take you to get your SSN and GC? Did they arrive together or separately?

We were an odd case. Our Green Cards arrived in the mailbox about 2 and a half weeks after our POE which is about normal going by other forum members' own experiences. According to those other members, their SSNs arrived around the same time, give or take a few days. They arrive separately because they are from two different government departments.

We waited another couple of days but our SSNs did not arrive. So we went to the local SSN office, with our new Green Cards and our passports, and inquired as to when we would receive our SSNs and if in the meantime could they tell us our numbers.

Sure enough, something had gone wrong and there was nothing in their system for us. So we sat there and went through the application process with the helpful lady - it takes a good 10 minutes each. She printed a letter for each of us that said we were in the system but no numbers would be available until the next day as they get processed overnight. So we went back the next day to get another letter printed with our numbers.

I'm a little stuck because I can't get an apartment without a social security so I'm wondering if I'll have sit on my backside and wait to get the social security in order to open a bank account or driver's license (although I don't believe I'll need a social security for a driver's license if I'm not mistaken).

I don't think it would hurt to go to the SSN office and explain your difficulty with not having an SSN so could they please let you know your number in the meantime. It'll be an opportunity to correct the situation of not being in the system if you're like us. You won't need an SSN initially to open a bank account. We opened our Citibank accounts 2 years ago when we were temporarily in the US. As far as driver's licenses and SSNs, I believe it's state-specific. But if you get a letter from the SSN with your number then it won't matter.

All the best! And welcome to the USA! :D

Vichel, good to hear from you again mate!

Much appreciated!

Hi Momo1980, the best thing to do in your case, will be to walk to a SSA in your area to request your number. You can fill the form online or at the office. It took me a week after I got to the US to get our SSNs. I just walked to the office the next day we arrived.

For the physical green card, it is another story. With the new USCIS Elis system, you can follow the process of your card production until it is delivered to you by USPS. From my short experience, don't expect the card to be mailed to you before 3 weeks from your arrival date. I hope it comes fast for you.

Go to the SSA office for the SSN with the needed form. Some there are not really aware of the fact that the I-551 in your passport is actually the greencard. Took us a second SSA office to get it done lol

Thank you so much everyone for your feedback and guidance on this! What would I do without all of you!

My brother and I are going into the SSA in Virginia tomorrow morning then to AT&T.

I also opened up my bank account today and there was no problem at all (lengthy process as it took one hour). The bank worker took down all my basic details (I went with my passport and Tanzania driver's license) and opened up the account for me.

The only muck-up I made was I ended up depositing my money into a secured credit card account and I realised too late because he came and told me it hadn't gone into my checking account. I actually thought it went into checking and my deposit would be "collateral" for my secured credit card.

No harm done as he said once I get my debit card next week I can close the secured credit card account and they will give me back the money or alternatively I could keep the account open and leave some decent amount for the secured credit card and they would do an internal transfer into my checking account.

For new DV immigrants going to open a bank account, make sure you take your passport, driver's license from your home country or another piece of valid ID and an amount to deposit. A SSN will not be required to open a bank account. Also make sure that you have a co-signer just in case or someone who can provide you with an address of where to send all your bank documentation.

After the bank issue was sorted, my brother threw me behind the wheel and I drove 25 minutes to two car dealerships and have already chosen the car I will buy but I'm going to haggle on the price. It is important to have a co-signer with you for insurance purposes and for test-drive purposes. Also as new immigrants have no credit, we need a co-signer to purchase a vehicle and obtain the necessary financing.

Will be back tomorrow (time to sleeeeeeeep after enjoying a meal at Hot n Juicy Crawfish in Washington, DC and what an AMAZING city!!!) and let you know how the SSN and phone processing goes.

God Bless The United States of America and all of you!!!

2nd NL - 14th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Momo, all sounds awesome!

Thanks SusieQQQ! It truly is amazing here and I have no regrets about leaving Africa!

2nd NL - 14th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013
Visa Pick up - August 14th 2013 - PICKED UP

Well here's a little update about Social Security...

Yesterday my brother and I went to a Social Security Administration (SSA) office in Arlington, VA and it turned out that they couldn't issue a Social Security Number (SSN) to me because they couldn't fit my name as per my Homeland Security/USCIS records lol

For those wondering "what???", basically what has happened is that Homeland Security/USCIS has the information as per my passport/DV visa but when SSA tried to use the same information they couldn't fit it, so it shows a name mismatch.

The pleasant lady at SSA told me not to worry because it commonly happens with people of Asian backgrounds as we have long names so all SSA does is a verification with Homeland Security/USCIS on the mismatch and just need to get a green light from them saying "yes this is the same person, go ahead and give him a SSN."

I've been told to check back in a few days so I'll bug them again on Friday and then on Monday to see if the verification has come through. The lady did however tell me that it can take 2-4 weeks (the latter being rare) but I need not worry because my SSN is guaranteed along with my Green Card.

The only bugger about the whole thing was that I can't get a driver's license (but I've been told to check with the DMV in Virginia and Pennsylvania because they may consent in exceptional cases such as mine) and the car will be purchased by my brother and once I get my SSN and US driver's license the ownership will be transferred to me and he's already placed me under his Geico car insurance.

The key matter is the SSN is even more important than the Green Card at this stage because it is needed to get all the basic items such as insurance, cars, homes, rent etc.

2nd NL - 14th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013

congratulations momo
there is only one thing left to do now: raise a glass of wine, look at the visa in the passport and sing "...for you are mine at last" by Ella Fitzgerald, trust your emotional flow and love the US :)

Oh Momo, Good to hear that u landed safe and sound.

Please don't break your promise of keeping in touch with the forum since a lot of us are watching your foot steps for our processes. I think we are glade to have people like you in this forum.

Kudos for all the good news till now, wishing you all the best to the end!

Oh Momo, Good to hear that u landed safe and sound.

Please don't break your promise of keeping in touch with the forum since a lot of us are watching your foot steps for our processes. I think we are glade to have people like you in this forum.

Kudos for all the good news till now, wishing you all the best to the end!

Hey Ormania,

Thank you so much for your kind sentiments and compliments. Please rest assured that I will guide you all to the best of my ability :)

How're you progressing on the DV?

2nd NL - 14th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013

Dear Friends,

I do apologise for being MIA for the last few days but I've been in Pennsylvania since Wednesday and will be heading back to Virginia on Monday or Tuesday morning.

Here is an update and tips (others that are already here before me, please feel free to contribute and correct me if necessary):

- Social Security Number - we (my brother and I) called the Social Security Administration (SSA) office where we went to in Arlington, VA to check if there was any update on my issue (my name entered in Social Security mis-matching my name in Homeland Security/USCIS because of a missing letter which they weren't able to fit at SSA initially) and much to our surprise and delight the lady there told us that they received a green light from Homeland Security/USCIS the day after we went there and a Social Security Number had been issued and I should expect my card in the mail within two weeks. Once I have this I will be eligible to rent an apartment, buy a car, get a driver's license etc.

- Driver's License - as I was in Pennsylvania and this is where my Green Card is coming to I thought I'd pop down to the DMV and find out the processes. The assistant there told me that as I was a new immigrant, I'd need to undergo a basic medical (which I did at a clinic right around the corner) and then apply for a learner's test et al. BUT to get a proper license I would need a Social Security Number. Anyway I took the forms and manual and have started to learn it. Fortunately having driven in America before on my previous visits with an international license it does make the learning easier and also coming from Tanzania where road laws are virtually non-existent it is quite overwhelming. For those worried about this, here's my tip: don't worry. Learn the signs and do the "common sense" questions online (they're all there and you can practice the test online) and you'll be fine.

- Purchasing Vehicle - as all new immigrants do not have a credit history, we will need a co-signer unless you are able to buy the car outright. Please look into your individual cases on this when you do choose to buy a car. Your insurance would also be slightly higher being a new driver. A co-signer is beneficial because it would build their credit history (by virtue of you taking financing - yes dealers will do this if you have a co-signer but just need a little pushing) and also give you a kickstart to build your credit history. If you buy the car outright, well it removes one major repayment headache off your back.

When I head back to Virginia, I'm pretty certain that my SSN will come through this coming week and I'll head down straight to the DMV to get going.

Also just another useful tip I learnt was that if you have an international license and your driver's license from your country of origin, you can get it endorsed by your Embassy i.e. in my case for the sake of theory/as an example, I would be taking my Tanzanian driver's license to the Tanzania Embassy in Washington, DC and getting it endorsed there and I believe through this you can skip the learner's test.

Personally I am planning not to do this because I'd rather go through the motions and understand the driving system here and I'd advise this for everyone. The road system here is one of the best ones I have come across in all my travels but it needs a good understanding as it makes life very easy when doddling around for miles on end in your car.

- Bank Account - when you apply for a bank account (I did mine through Bank of America), go for a checking account, a saving account and a secured credit card. Your checking account will have your chequebook to do your bill payments, direct debits et al. The savings account is a savings account lol...the secured credit card is a good idea and a good way to start building a credit history. What you decide as "collateral cash deposit" (as I call it) on the secured credit card is entirely up to you and you'd need to discuss this with the bank or person opening your account for you.

I will be in touch again in the coming days as things progress and keep you all updated :)

2nd NL - 14th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013

Thank you so much everyone for your feedback and guidance on this! What would I do without all of you!

My brother and I are going into the SSA in Virginia tomorrow morning then to AT&T.

I also opened up my bank account today and there was no problem at all (lengthy process as it took one hour). The bank worker took down all my basic details (I went with my passport and Tanzania driver's license) and opened up the account for me.

The only muck-up I made was I ended up depositing my money into a secured credit card account and I realised too late because he came and told me it hadn't gone into my checking account. I actually thought it went into checking and my deposit would be "collateral" for my secured credit card.

No harm done as he said once I get my debit card next week I can close the secured credit card account and they will give me back the money or alternatively I could keep the account open and leave some decent amount for the secured credit card and they would do an internal transfer into my checking account.

For new DV immigrants going to open a bank account, make sure you take your passport, driver's license from your home country or another piece of valid ID and an amount to deposit. A SSN will not be required to open a bank account. Also make sure that you have a co-signer just in case or someone who can provide you with an address of where to send all your bank documentation.

After the bank issue was sorted, my brother threw me behind the wheel and I drove 25 minutes to two car dealerships and have already chosen the car I will buy but I'm going to haggle on the price. It is important to have a co-signer with you for insurance purposes and for test-drive purposes. Also as new immigrants have no credit, we need a co-signer to purchase a vehicle and obtain the necessary financing.

Will be back tomorrow (time to sleeeeeeeep after enjoying a meal at Hot n Juicy Crawfish in Washington, DC and what an AMAZING city!!!) and let you know how the SSN and phone processing goes.

God Bless The United States of America and all of you!!!

2nd NL - 14th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013

Thanks MOMO,all the info yu giving us are really useful and will guide us through thr process so that we can avoid some mistakes that might disqualify us.I can see yu enjoying your new country.I cant wait to be that side of the world as well

Thanks MOMO,all the info yu giving us are really useful and will guide us through thr process so that we can avoid some mistakes that might disqualify us.I can see yu enjoying your new country.I cant wait to be that side of the world as well

You're very welcome my friend. This is a great country and the key is to integrate into life here as quickly as possible...

2nd NL - 14th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013

Just one more tip on getting a phone number...when you don't have a Social Security Number you cannot get a contract based phone/line/number.

What I recommend is you go to the AT&T store or T-Mobile and take up a prepaid SIM card and number. The price comes to just over $60 and you get 2GB worth of data access as well.

Once you get on a contract they will transfer the same phone number onto that contract.

2nd NL - 14th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013