The Canada Advantage

HarrisFeb2002

Registered Users (C)
I am a proud Canadian living in the US, i am Canadian by naturalization, I have lived most of my life in that great country. I would like to share objectively the canada advantage and would welcome questions for anyone interested in migrating there or just simply curious:

1) Canada is by far the best country to live in on this planet. This statement applies especially to people with ordinary earnings, a population base that tends to be the majority. This claim in also well documented in news publications and supported by the basic metrics of education, healthcare and employment as a whole.

2) Employment opportunities.
The employment opportunities in certain parts of the US are far greater than probably the 'hottest' areas in Canada. However, there are many regions in the US that would NOT compare so favourably to most Canadian cities. In Canada the general populace is based in the city, there are only so many cities in Canada from large well known centers like Toronto and Montreal (most US people on the east coast that I run into consider these two wonderful cities as Canada - not true). There are lesser known centers in the west that are absolutely thriving. The salaries tend to be lower, this is true if you are comparing NY to Winnipeg. Admitedly, I would concede on the salary debate, ie: pure dollars in your pocket, are greater in the US than CD, more on the social security benefits later. Although, there are well qualified individuals not finding jobs in their profession of choice (choice because it pays more), I speak from personal experience here. It should be noted that to have a decent life style in CD a much lower salary base is needed, the cost of living much lower. I have often metioned couples with what people on this forum would call sub-par jobs being able to afford a home and raise childern in healthy nuturing environment.
Transportion systems are better integerated and getting around from one place to another is less time consuming and therefore more time is available to spend with family and friends. A point often not addressed when discussing salaries.

3) Health care
A wonderful health care system. I would offer to pay more taxes here in the US for something of equal value. I have been unfortunate enough to know people with the most grave diseases and their treatment has been excellent in CD healthcare centers - without any burden of fees to be concerned about.
It is true that certain procedure may have lines or waiting periods but the serious life threatening issues are treated immediately, without delay.

4) Education
Non-private School systems are usually Catholic/Public. I believe you must be catholic to send kids to that school system. I studied in the public system. It is free, you decide where you would like to allocate your tax dollars to public or catholic systems. Schooling is good, if you live in a different neighbourhood the schooling may be even better, the general curriculum is the same throughout the province (state). Of course, education is much more than curriculum judged, the quality of the student around you amongst other things would contribute to your eductional experience. Post secondary education is divided into Universities, Colleges and vocational schools. Universities offer the broadest education, the have the authority to grant degrees. Colleges are more practical curriculums. Overall education in the universities is top-notch. I don't have experience on the college or vocational front. The cost of University education today, I am guessing, for tuition is probably $3K per semester for tuition. You need 8 semesters to complete an undergraduate degree.

More later...

Now some of you may think, what the heck am I doing here if Canada is so great? I often do ask that question myself and am satisfied with the response. That's worth a separate thread. But for now if you are interested in migrating to Canada pls. discuss those issues here and I promise I will answer that question in a separate thread if anyone is interested.

cheers,
Harris

That's the question I wanted to ask

I am a US Greencard holder. never visited Canada but I know who people who are settled there. They say Canada is absolutely great country with Good living standards. But any given day if I offer them a job in USA they are ready to jump the fence and migrate to USA. Almost all of them went to Canada because their USA Visa was rejected or so.
My question is if Canada is so Good why so many people are dying to get to USA from there.

1) Canada is called the best place to live in the world by the UN. That's an arbitrary ranking based on statistics compiled by a group of supra-national bureaucrats, about as valuable as polls of "what is the best university?" that take into account such figures as what percentage of freshmen have dorms on campus. Useless.

Another answer to question #1 is that the US has long queues of people trying to get in. Canada struggles to fill its (admittedly much higher per capita) immigration target.

Finally, our poster is living in the US now. Why?

2) Employment opportunities may be better or worse in individual areas, however, keep in mind that Canadian employers have this mythic notion called "Canadian experience". I've found that they treat foreign skills and qualifications as almost worthless, compared to Canadian training, education and experience. There are dozens of stories of MDs driving taxis because they cannot get their credentials accepted, let alone find employment.

3) Health Care is wonderful? Try finding a doctor! Most aren't taking new patients. Need an MRI? Try waiting 3-6 months instead of 3-6 days or hours. Of course, if you've already been defeated by the constant waiting dealing with the INS, you'll love the Canadian health care system! It's like food in Russia - it's free, but you had to wait and wait for it.

4) Public education in Canada vs. the US is pretty much the same. Good neighbourhood, good schools. Bad neighborhood, bad school. You'll find that the universities are good and not too expensive, but there are lost of state schools in the US that are just the same.

At the end of the day, however, if Canada is so wonderful, why do I hear of so many Canadians (20,000+ per year) emigrating to the US? This just counts folks BORN in Canada, not naturalized citizens. I see lots of posts on Canada->US immigration boards of immigrants to Canada moving to the US on H1 and trying to keep their Canadian PR. Don't hear of ANY GC holders working in Canada but keeping the GC. Wonder why?

Canada is a great place to live. Yes many Canadians do leave (as I did) often for opportunities that don't exist there. I switched careers and returned to school. The weather is also a factor, quite frankly.
You do have to wait for serious health issues, although I never had a problem getting appointments for routine examinations. I have been shocked at how much I have to pay in the U.S.

The one thing about Canada is that there is more middle class and less extreme wealth and extreme poverty. The poverty I have seen here in the U.S., while people spend money on frivolous items his sickening at times. I am living in the US; but am a proud Canadian.

More...

Folks,

The intent of this thread was to give something back to the community here as there appears to be interest for people towards settling in Canada. Often here, Canada is considered a second choice. I am offering an opinion because I felt qualified to do so with fact, a story told by someone who has lived/breathed Canada for most his life with still many friends and family throughout the country. Someone who one day may return home. The objective isn’t to compare Canada to the US, but to provide a framework for life in Canada along the things that I think are important to most people: opportunity, life style, education and healthcare. What I have to say mayn’t apply to you as an individual, as we all are quite unique and have our own goals and preferences, but my experience shows that it applies to most that may one day have the good fortune to visit or live in Canada.

I think I hit a nerve with ‘the best country to live in’. I guess that’s my pride coming in. The intent wasn’t to diminish the quality of life here in the US, but a message to people that Canada is a fine upper-echelon country to live in.

To theRealCanadian:

1) Even your so called ‘supra-nationals’ as a membership body do not get anything by coming up with a standard that rates countries, granted statistics and surveys have room for error and no standard is perfect, but multiple non-Canadian publications have posted similar results.

2) Again, there’s a similar notion here in the US called ‘US experience’. Apologies for the comparison. I have interviewed numerous candidates here and in Canada, it is an important question, but smart employers will look beyond that and evaluate candidates for full set of credentials. That is a learning process people for employers here and they are learning quickly. I do admit that with non-US/CD experience folks are penalized to some degree, this is an education for all of us, as we learn of the schooling systems in other countries and the business borders diminish it becomes less of an issue.

3) Absolutely untrue, there would be anarchy if that was the case. Healthcare is arguably one of the most important considerations for people, please don’t reduce Canadian Healthcare to food supplies in the economically ravaged countries; you’re completely off base here. I don’t know if Russians are suffering as much as you think, have you been there recently? Your experience in Canada must have been a miserable one, maybe it was where you lived, but having lived and visited many parts of CD I can see that you are clearly misinformed. I will agree that going to the emergency room in a hospital may take a few hours but other than that mostly satisfied with what I saw and heard. Of course, severe emergency cases are treated more promptly. You are not even in the ballpark on this one, the healthcare system is so well funded and accessible that it is subject to abuse. Separate issue altogether.

4) Good point comparing it to the US system of state colleges. Can’t speak for state colleges here, but will say that universities are ranked by programmes, some are more competitive than others, for example, the Waterloo Computer Science program was and perhaps still is, considered the finest of its kind in Canada. Not sure how easy or difficult it is to get into a state school in the US.

GC holders are not extinct in Canada, this is a fact. Personally, have family with GC but happily living in CD and other countries; these are young folks who would thrive here but are doing so over there. You’ve been reading too many immigration boards, the theme always tends to be ‘when am I going to get my GC?’. People are frustrated and desperately seeking unification with the country where they are wanting to settle. Under such emotional distress one’s judgement may not be the most reliable.

Again, the objective here is to discuss life in Canada, not to put in a more positive light than the US or any other country. Some time a comparison is necessary as a point reference only.
Questions are welcome, challenges make us better, but comments without base are irresponsible.

Best wishes for the holidays!
-harris

HarrisFeb2002...

Sincerely, Yes the UN has voted Canada as the best place to live
for 5 straight years.

Absolutely it is the best place to live, the catch here is

"WITH YOUR RETIREMENT MONEY EARNED IN USA"

Canada is the best place to live.

Who cares about a "GREAT MEDICARE" when you have to struggle getting a job.

Why industries don't move over to Canada??
Why is there no Silicon valley in Canada.

When USA and Canada are both English speaking Countries share borders and have more or less the same kinda infrastructure (Telecommunications, Road and Transportation, Welcome immigration etc etc)

The "BIGGA" answer is TAX.

How else education and Medicare can be made free for the population if huge taxes are not imposed?

-Roma