• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

The "been there done that" thread: life in the US after DV

The "pandemic", (a bureaucratic term), has been mitigated. It's the media-driven fear-mongering that is causing the real problems.
Actually, I don’t think it has been yet. For mitigation to occur, testing must be done systematically and across communities, which remains difficult due to test kits supply. Mitigation is the remaining option when containment has failed, which is what has happened recently. Definition: “A pandemic (from Greek πᾶν pan "all" and δῆμος demos "people") is an epidemic of disease that has spread across a large region; for instance multiple continents, or worldwide. A widespread endemic disease that is stable in terms of how many people are getting sick from it is not a pandemic.” So, it’s not bureaucratic, it’s just a name for a characteristic level of spread of a disease. Also, not all media is peddling fear instead of facts. And if the current leadership had it’s act together, there would be more public confidence in what is being done to protect the public.

Actually, I don’t think it has been yet. For mitigation to occur, testing must be done systematically and across communities, which remains difficult due to test kits supply. Mitigation is the remaining option when containment has failed, which is what has happened recently. Definition: “A pandemic (from Greek πᾶν pan "all" and δῆμος demos "people") is an epidemic of disease that has spread across a large region; for instance multiple continents, or worldwide. A widespread endemic disease that is stable in terms of how many people are getting sick from it is not a pandemic.” So, it’s not bureaucratic, it’s just a name for a characteristic level of spread of a disease. Also, not all media is peddling fear instead of facts. And if the current leadership had it’s act together, there would be more public confidence in what is being done to protect the public.

Apples and oranges.

I was discussing your claim that the pandemic needs to be mitigated, not the virus. Two different things.

"Pandemic" is a term used by the WHO to activate international agreements, in regards to releasing emergency budgets, and activating relevant response plans. The details are outlined under the WHO Pandemic Phase Description and Response overview: https://www.who.int/influenza/resources/documents/pandemic_phase_descriptions_and_actions.pdf

That is the "mitigation" for the bureaucratic use of the term "pandemic". Same as the Govts using the term "disaster" and "emergency" to activate certain policies and plans. This is why places like San Francisco, New York etc have made these declarations, even before some of them had any known cases.

@DougNNNN this is just in from the WHO: Coronavirus confirmed as pandemic https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-51839944 this means that the virus has now spread beyond containment measures currently in place worldwide.

It doesn't mean it has "spread beyond containment". It simply means a new virus has spread around the world that people do not have immunity (vaccinations) to.

The containment efforts in place are not there to prevent the virus spreading. It WILL spread. The efforts are there to slow down the number of serious illnesses to medical facilities, to allow those facilities to manage those intakes.

At the end of the day, the vast majority of people suffering from COVID-19 will "suffer" from a headache and sore throat. It is the people with weakened immune systems and other medical complications, NOT caused by COVID-19, that the medical communities are concerned about.

Hello there,
We received a letter Census 2020 this week twice from the U.S. Census Bureau. Is it required for GC holder or only citizenship? They asked to do it online. Any notes or comment will be appreciated.
Thanks

Hello there,
We received a letter Census 2020 this week twice from the U.S. Census Bureau. Is it required for GC holder or only citizenship? They asked to do it online. Any notes or comment will be appreciated.
Thanks

Every household in the US, regardless of status, is required to take part in the Census.

Hello there,
Thanks
Read the instructions! yes, if you are living in the US you must respond,

I'm applying to jobs within my industry (aviation) primarily in NY.
It is a US format (1 page resume), except skills/keywords aren't included.
I'm maintaining residency with a re-entry permit

UPDATE: My company is allowing me to transfer and work remotely from home. So will be very flexible but very isolated. I know there's a wide range of work contracts but what standard things should I ensure are included? As in, are employers legal obligated to provide private health insurance, pension scheme etc?

Hi @Wingpin
I am planning to apply for a re-entry permit and I am in the same situation (just activated my GC last Nov 2019). Was it easy to get ? how long did it take to get a biometrics appointment ? what purpose did you give to stay abroad for 2 years ?
Thanks a lot!!!

Hi,
It's now 7 weeks since I have arrived in California. I got my Green Card last week but still waiting for the SSN. I called the general number and the field office, and they said that they need a face to face interview to proceed. So I have to wait until they open again :(

Hi,
It's now 7 weeks since I have arrived in California. I got my Green Card last week but still waiting for the SSN. I called the general number and the field office, and they said that they need a face to face interview to proceed. So I have to wait until they open again :(

sorry for the hassle. I’ve heard of a number of recent immigrants who haven’t received their SSN cards, I can’t help wondering if it’s something to do with the pandemic.

sorry for the hassle. I’ve heard of a number of recent immigrants who haven’t received their SSN cards, I can’t help wondering if it’s something to do with the pandemic.

Thanks @SusieQQQ, they said that they have stopped accepting new applications since the closure. So waiting is the only option left.

Hi @Wingpin
I am planning to apply for a re-entry permit and I am in the same situation (just activated my GC last Nov 2019). Was it easy to get ? how long did it take to get a biometrics appointment ? what purpose did you give to stay abroad for 2 years ?
Thanks a lot!!!

Hi @Kassem sorry I just saw this message I didn’t get a notification.

I got a letter from my employer saying I needed further experience and training in the UK before moving. I got an invitation letter to attend a biometrics appointment in Texas as that’s where my US address was. I flew to Boston for 1-2 nights and did a walk-in there. I had to beg (was crying) for them to accept me. I showed up earlier than the date on my scheduled appointment. Very stressful.. but it was way way more expensive to go to Texas compared with east coast.

Then they posted it to my US address and my friend forwarded to me. I should have just asked them to send it to the London embassy in hindsight. It’s an expensive thing to do.. with flight, hotel, fedex, etc it was probably another $400-500 ON TOP of the re-entry permit charges.

Hi @Kassem sorry I just saw this message I didn’t get a notification.

I got a letter from my employer saying I needed further experience and training in the UK before moving. I got an invitation letter to attend a biometrics appointment in Texas as that’s where my US address was. I flew to Boston for 1-2 nights and did a walk-in there. I had to beg (was crying) for them to accept me. I showed up earlier than the date on my scheduled appointment. Very stressful.. but it was way way more expensive to go to Texas compared with east coast.

Then they posted it to my US address and my friend forwarded to me. I should have just asked them to send it to the London embassy in hindsight. It’s an expensive thing to do.. with flight, hotel, fedex, etc it was probably another $400-500 ON TOP of the re-entry permit charges.

Hi @Wingpin !
No worries, thanks a lot for your answer :)
So basically you applied to the permit from the UK (or you friend applied for you) ? we can apply online or we need to send the file by post ?
I won't do a walk-in, but will try to fly there once i have my appointment.

Thanks again!!!
Kassem

Hi there, Im GC holder, any advise to apply for collage scholarships for our Son? is it ok as GC holders to apply for these scholarships, fedral loans or grants? we appreciate your experiance.
thanks

Hi there, Im GC holder, any advise to apply for collage scholarships for our Son? is it ok as GC holders to apply for these scholarships, fedral loans or grants? we appreciate your experiance.
thanks
Yes. These are allocated by the colleges. Fill out the FAFSA form, and if you apply to private colleges many of those require the CSS form too. Details and links should be on the financial aid website section of the colleges your son is applying to.

FAFSA: https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa
CSS: https://cssprofile.collegeboard.org/

Note the difference between need based and merit based aid. Need depends on your financial situation. Some colleges meet full need but many don’t, or require loans as part of the package. For scholarships (merit aid), these are usually given to a top % of applicants for each college.

Yes. These are allocated by the colleges. Fill out the FAFSA form, and if you apply to private colleges many of those require the CSS form too. Details and links should be on the financial aid website section of the colleges your son is applying to.

FAFSA: https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa
CSS: https://cssprofile.collegeboard.org/

Note the difference between need based and merit based aid. Need depends on your financial situation. Some colleges meet full need but many don’t, or require loans as part of the package. For scholarships (merit aid), these are usually given to a top % of applicants for each college.
Thank you so much. We really appreciate your help and links you sent us. It’s a new experience for us here.

Thank you so much. We really appreciate your help and links you sent us. It’s a new experience for us here.
Ok. The whole college process and student funding is quite different from, and often more complicated than, many other countries.
i know there are some articles on student funding on nerdwallet - it’s generally a good website but I haven’t read those specific articles, but they might help make it a bit clearer for you. For anything funding or admission related, when websites might say “domestic” or maybe even just “us citizen”, those always include green card holders.
(Well...the military academies may have a usc restriction, not sure. actually if your son has any interest in the military then ROTC is something to look into as well, https://www.todaysmilitary.com/education-training/rotc-programs, they help pay for college and then in return you serve for a while. And while we are on that tangent, make sure he registers for selective service as required of green card holders when he turns 18, he could have problems naturalizing if he doesn’t.)

is your son a senior already or are you looking ahead to applications later this year?

Last edited:
Ok. The whole college process and student funding is quite different from, and often more complicated than, many other countries.
i know there are some articles on student funding on nerdwallet - it’s generally a good website but I haven’t read those specific articles, but they might help make it a bit clearer for you. For anything funding or admission related, when websites might say “domestic” or maybe even just “us citizen”, those always include green card holders.
(Well...the military academies may have a usc restriction, not sure. actually if your son has any interest in the military then ROTC is something to look into as well, https://www.todaysmilitary.com/education-training/rotc-programs, they help pay for college and then in return you serve for a while. And while we are on that tangent, make sure he registers for selective service as required of green card holders when he turns 18, he could have problems naturalizing if he doesn’t.)

is your son a senior already or are you looking ahead to applications later this year?
Thanks again Susie, My son junior, he will register for selective service when he turns 18 this September. Maybe he will be citizen if we finished our Citizenship process with this time ( I have doubts to finish it in 3 months) We will apply 90 days before the 5 years GC. Hope the USCIS reopen next month. Do you think we still apply and send our application or we have to wait until the offices reopen?
Thanks again