• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

The "been there done that" thread: life in the US after DV

True, but I would personally assume anyone at least at the stage of asking about WES would at least know if they were required to be licensed for practicing in the US, and given the way he phrased the question I thought it obvious he didn't. Anyway... for total newbies reading this thread they'll have all the options now I guess.

Exactly,...Licensing is quite a big word and is very different from simple "degree evaluation" (200-300$ per degree,....2-3 weeks to receive the evaluation). My brother gave up on the whole process when he knew about the big obstacles to get licensed as a dentist in the US and the costs involved (150-200k$). Some people before participating in the lottery, should inquire about the conditions to work in their field in the US,...and if they're ready or not, to make sacrifices to get licensed or work in another field. Otherwise it's a waste of time.

Exactly,...Licensing is quite a big word and is very different from simple "degree evaluation" (200-300$ per degree,....2-3 weeks to receive the evaluation). My brother gave up on the whole process when he knew about the big obstacles to get licensed as a dentist in the US and the costs involved (150-200k$). Some people before participating in the lottery, should inquire about the conditions to work in their field in the US,...and if they're ready or not, to make sacrifices to get licensed or work in another field. Otherwise it's a waste of time.
I do know people taking the time to do it & stepping back professionally in the meanwhile. All depends on your long view I guess...and where you're from. Lots of medical professionals from my home country now practice in the US.

You should be freaked out. The Green Card is for living in America, not for visiting every so often. Forget the sites you've read. I've given you a link below to the formal government position. I would suggest you read it carefully a few times.

There is some flexibiltiy in the first year after activation. But, if your plan is to live in your home country and visit every six months, expect trouble. You may end up in front of an immigration court and you will have to prove that you are a resident of the US. Given you would have been living and working overseas, it's not an unreasonable conclusion that you are not using the Green Card for purposes intended and you may lose it. To prove you live here, you need an address, cell phone, employer, filing taxes.

I would suggest you read up on your obligations as a Lawful Permanent Resident: https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/af...bilities-green-card-holder-permanent-resident

I'm not sure you entirely understand your obligations.

im aware of this link @EmilyW

Abandoning Permanent Resident Status
You may also lose your permanent resident status by intentionally abandoning it. You may be found to have abandoned your status if you:

• Move to another country, intending to live there permanently.
  • Remain outside of the United States for an extended period of time, unless you intended this to be a temporary absence, as shown by:
    • The reason for your trip;
    • How long you intended to be absent from the United States;
    • Any other circumstances of your absence; and
    • Any events that may have prolonged your absence.
    • Note: Obtaining a re-entry permit from USCIS before you leave, or a returning resident visa (SB-1) from a U.S. consulate while abroad, may assist you in showing that you intended only a temporary absence.
  • Fail to file income tax returns while living outside of the United States for any period.
  • Declare yourself a “nonimmigrant” on your U.S. tax returns.
its mentioned "you may" not "you will".. i think there is a big difference in when it come for loosing green card

and regarding prove of living in US if i got a house and i was filling my tax wouldn't that to be considered as willing to live there

im not supporting the live abroad option or defending it but i think in this matter its not clear enough to judge ..... i've heard of people working in abroad and visiting US to maintain the 6 month period,,, thats whats make me ask

as i mentioned in my previous post by next june i'll be moving permanently and i'll be going in coming November and February there

If you had read my post thoroughly, I never once said you 'will'. You are right, there is a difference, hence my use of the word 'may'.

Have fun. Hope it works out for you.

im aware of this link @EmilyW

Abandoning Permanent Resident Status
You may also lose your permanent resident status by intentionally abandoning it. You may be found to have abandoned your status if you:

• Move to another country, intending to live there permanently.
  • Remain outside of the United States for an extended period of time, unless you intended this to be a temporary absence, as shown by:
    • The reason for your trip;
    • How long you intended to be absent from the United States;
    • Any other circumstances of your absence; and
    • Any events that may have prolonged your absence.
    • Note: Obtaining a re-entry permit from USCIS before you leave, or a returning resident visa (SB-1) from a U.S. consulate while abroad, may assist you in showing that you intended only a temporary absence.
  • Fail to file income tax returns while living outside of the United States for any period.
  • Declare yourself a “nonimmigrant” on your U.S. tax returns.
its mentioned "you may" not "you will".. i think there is a big difference in when it come for loosing green card

and regarding prove of living in US if i got a house and i was filling my tax wouldn't that to be considered as willing to live there

im not supporting the live abroad option or defending it but i think in this matter its not clear enough to judge ..... i've heard of people working in abroad and visiting US to maintain the 6 month period,,, thats whats make me ask

as i mentioned in my previous post by next june i'll be moving permanently and i'll be going in coming November and February there
Right. Good luck.

thanks will need it

i found this video in another page,,, i think it have some answers related to this subject

http://forums.immigration.com/threa...er-green-card-rajivs-video-on-youtube.336492/

Dude, you can watch all the videos you want and take whatever consolation you want from what you read or see, though you should be aware that you clearly have some strong confirmation bias going on there. For example, you mentioned a house, but it's very clear from a cursory look at the law that just owning or renting a property means nothing if you don't actually live there. You won't be filing any tax returns till next February earliest I believe, so you don't have that as proof either. So what do you have? A green card, and a bunch of quick visits to the US while living and working elsewhere.

By the way, I do know the kind of questions you get asked when ...say.... you return to the US after just a five month absence, but the CBP officer can see from your details that you are only here for ten days before flying out again, and doesn't like what he sees. From personal experience. So like I said, good luck. If I were you, I'd get a reentry permit rather than flitting in and out, but it's your green card, your choices.

i agree with you regarding the CBP officer he may ask a lot of question when he notice the short stay period and he will think i dont have the will to live there, i was thinking about that, i was thinking to answer him that i will be having an exam next february and will move permanently by june i'll try to open a bank account to support

i've mentioned that house example bcz even in the uscis its not clear regarding losing ur GC, i still believe the reentry permit aint needed bcz of what i explained,, but definitely i'll keep ur words in mind

i was worried about something and now i found myself i have to move permanently after 3 month

hence: i agree with u the videos aint books to follow but i thought this guy is the owner or have relation to this forum so i post his video

Again, good luck. After all that effort to get your green card, it would be very sad if you lost it.

@SusieQQQ alright what do u think asking the embassy about this matter.. would that be a bad idea
cuz i cant leave permanently till february (in the best case) due to family circumstances .. i can prove that to them
bcz the re-entry permit will take minimum 1 month and i have to be in us

hi all ,
we are having a discussion in another forum regarding the public charge for DV lottery winners
some are saying the food stamp is not consider as public charge

What publicly funded benefits may not be considered for public charge purposes?
Non-cash or special-purpose cash benefits are generally supplemental in nature and do not make a person primarily dependent on the government for subsistence. Therefore, past, current, or future receipt of these benefits do not impact a public charge determination. Non-cash or special purpose cash benefits that are not considered for public charge purposes include:
Nutrition programs, including Food Stamps, the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC), the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Program, and other supplementary and emergency food assistance programs

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/public-charge

So, I'm here in the US with a brand new SSN and debit card (yay!). Just tried applying online for a secured credit card and it was rejected...!! Now what?! The only option I have is to transfer my AMEX credit from the UK? I just read you can have decent credit in a year or so, but for EXCELLENT credit you need about 7 years. Gotta be in it for the long haul! :p

So, I'm here in the US with a brand new SSN and debit card (yay!). Just tried applying online for a secured credit card and it was rejected...!! Now what?! The only option I have is to transfer my AMEX credit from the UK? I just read you can have decent credit in a year or so, but for EXCELLENT credit you need about 7 years. Gotta be in it for the long haul! :p

Hi @Wingpin i managed to get a secured credit card from the Bank of America after opening a checking account with them (no US address or SSN required). Try walking into a branch and get them to apply for you?

I have to be honest, this is the first time I heard in forums like these of someone being rejected for a secured card. What bank did you apply with? To ask the obvious, you're sure you applied for secured and not the unsecured offering by mistake?

I have to be honest, this is the first time I heard in forums like these of someone being rejected for a secured card. What bank did you apply with? To ask the obvious, you're sure you applied for secured and not the unsecured offering by mistake?

Some credit card companies will reject an application with NO income noted.

Wingpin, be careful to not scattershot applications. Lots of credit checks can hurt your credit history - a hard pull is reported on your credit for 2 years. Lots of hard pulls shows "desperation".

Hi, I chose Capital One as it was mentioned a few times as a decent option on these forums for new PRs. I want to stick with one bank (as Britsimon has said) and not make any more applications. I wasn't even aware a secure card application constitutes as a hard pull. There isn't anything yet to pull!

Hi, I chose Capital One as it was mentioned a few times as a decent option on these forums for new PRs. I want to stick with one bank (as Britsimon has said) and not make any more applications. I wasn't even aware a secure card application constitutes as a hard pull. There isn't anything yet to pull!

On Creditkarma gives "suggestions" for cards that you are likely to be approved for. Start with a CK account - see if you have a file at all. Also - do you have a job/income?

I have a job and income in the EU/UK.. nothing here yet. CreditKarma says I have no score whatsoever, and suggested the CapitalOne secured credit card as my best option :p