• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

The "been there done that" thread: life in the US after DV

Dear All,

I have a green card from January, 2015. At present, I am visiting my family abroad and I have a very big concern about my admission into the U.S. I am planning to be abroad for 4 months and 20 days. However:

1. In 2015, I was abroad for 7 months and 16 days, because I had to finish my studies.
2. I obtained my first job in the U.S. in January, 2016. Thus I did not file taxes for 2015, because I did not have any incomes in 2015.

Although, I am abroad, I am working for a U.S. company remotely. However, I am really in a big concern about my admission, because of the above two facts + almost 5 months abroad in 2016. What do you think about this?

Dear All,

I have a green card from January, 2015. At present, I am visiting my family abroad and I have a very big concern about my admission into the U.S. I am planning to be abroad for 4 months and 20 days. However:

1. In 2015, I was abroad for 7 months and 16 days, because I had to finish my studies.
2. I obtained my first job in the U.S. in January, 2016. Thus I did not file taxes for 2015, because I did not have any incomes in 2015.

Although, I am abroad, I am working for a U.S. company remotely. However, I am really in a big concern about my admission, because of the above two facts + almost 5 months abroad in 2016. What do you think about this?

Well, the good news for you is that the CBP officer can't just not let you in as you have a valid green card.
But given what you've said you will almost certainly be subject to questioning. Best case you get a stern warning, worst case you get referred to an immigration judge to argue why you haven't abandoned residency.
What ties to the US do you have? Bank account, driver license, residence? Clearly no current job there considering how long you have been out of the country? Remote doesn't count as a tie, I'd think.
By the way even if you did not earn an income in 2015 you should still have filed a tax return.

Hello guys
Missed you a lot since dv 2015 process, hope you all doing well.

My child now 14 years old, when we applied he did only one finger print, should he wait for a letter from the Uscis to go to make his 10 fingerprints or it doesn't happened ?
Thanks

Hello guys
Missed you a lot since dv 2015 process, hope you all doing well.

My child now 14 years old, when we applied he did only one finger print, should he wait for a letter from the Uscis to go to make his 10 fingerprints or it doesn't happened ?
Thanks

Since your child is now 14 years old, you need to apply for a replacement card for the child.

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/replace-green-card

If you apply now (since your child just turned 14), you'll only be required required to pay $85 (the biometrics fee). If you wait till much later, you will be making the full payment for the replacement card which is currently $450 and could go up soon.

Hello Mom, how are you ? thanks for your reply
I though the Uscis who has to sent us.
So so you mean after we apply we are going for biomatrecs and will replace the GC without applying I-485? Only form I-190?
Thanks a lot
Sam

Hello Mom, how are you ? thanks for your reply
I though the Uscis who has to sent us.
So so you mean after we apply we are going for biomatrecs and will replace the GC without applying I-485? Only form I-190?
Thanks a lot
Sam

USCIS will not automatically send a replacement card - remember the biometrics fee wasn't included as part of what you initially paid for your child back then. So you now have to do that using an I-90. You will receive biometrics notice (after your I-90 is formally accepted by USCIS) with a bio appointment schedule.

Since your child is now 14 years old, you need to apply for a replacement card for the child.

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/replace-green-card

If you apply now (since your child just turned 14), you'll only be required required to pay $85 (the biometrics fee). If you wait till much later, you will be making the full payment for the replacement card which is currently $450 and could go up soon.

Oooops I entirely missed that we needed to do this
Sigh....

Bizarrely we've travelled internationally at least twice since my kid turned 14, and yet no one mentioned anything on re-entry - yup, will get cracking!!

The GC is still very much valid, AFAIK no one will make an issue or say anything about it officially. Most people don't bother to change it once their kid turns 14. But it's something I highly recommend one takes care of as soon as the child turns 14 considering the big price difference from one year later.

General question, how has everyone found the job hunt in the U.S? I'm working my internal contacts at my current employer, which is looking increasingly up, but I also would like to think about other opportunities. Has anyone had success with Indeed or Monster etc? How do recruiters work in large cities; do you optimise your LinkedIn for them to come to you, or do you approach them? What about success without a degree? In Australia a degree isn't necessary for most roles, though my role in the U.S would almost certainly require one (hilarious). Bit of a brain dump, but just keen to get an idea from some recent expats.

Happy for you to message me Ben and I can take you through my experience.
Hi Emily,
Could you please also take me through your experience? I'm wondering the same about Ben's questions as I don't have a degree either and don't require it for my job in Aus. Thank you :)

The GC is still very much valid, AFAIK no one will make an issue or say anything about it officially. Most people don't bother to change it once their kid turns 14. But it's something I highly recommend one takes care of as soon as the child turns 14 considering the big price difference from one year later.
Hello friends
My son is now 14 years & 32days, what part I have to select 2j or 2g1?
The AOS USCIS location office is Chicago or the local office who did the interview ?
? I wish if there is aform or example to follow for this case
Thanks. Sam

Last edited: