The "been there done that" thread: life in the US after DV

SusieQQQ

Thanks Susie. I have one of those personalities that tends to over think and over analyze everything. Drives my wife crazy.

I think I will just contact a very highly reviewed dealer and ask them what to do, see if they know.
Dealer may not have any experience in insuring new immigrants/may have a cosy relationship with a particular insurer and direct you to them regardless of if it’s best for you. Honestly, if I were you I’d get on the phone and spend an hour or two calling around.

Alien2010

Registered Users (C)
Thanks Susie. I have one of those personalities that tends to over think and over analyze everything. Drives my wife crazy.

I think I will just contact a very highly reviewed dealer and ask them what to do, see if they know.
I have been quite happy with Geico's prices. You can get online quotes; select "I was overseas" as your answer to the insurance history question.
As a general rule, I found that it is to my advantage not to give the dealer too many numbers to play with; they already try to sell financial products whether you want it or not. Everybody in a dealership is a salesperson, especially the finance manager.
By the way, Geico is a Warren Buffett company.

SusieQQQ

I have been quite happy with Geico's prices. You can get online quotes; select "I was overseas" as your answer to the insurance history question.
As a general rule, I found that it is to my advantage not to give the dealer too many numbers to play with; they already try to sell financial products whether you want it or not. Everybody in a dealership is a salesperson, especially the finance manager.
By the way, Geico is a Warren Buffett company.
We’ve also done very well with geico, but I know others in a similar boat who haven’t, and not sure whether that is state dependent. So will always advise people to shop around.

EmilyW

To your point @SusieQQQ, Geico sucked for us in North Carolina. 50% more expensive than Progressive. But I've heard the opposite in other states. Totally second the idea to shop around as much as possible.

Bob22

I bought a car a few days back, and here's an interesting fact many may not be aware of. Geico can access your New Zealand driving history which is a bonus. I assume they can access Australia also, not sure about other countries .

I have another question. It's been almost three weeks since we arrived and my families SSN haven't arrived. Am thinking of just going to the local office on Monday and seeing what the problem is. Or at least if they have a record of them. Or is that a waste of time? (i don't want to waste half a day for nothing, like I did at the texas dmv)

Aidyn

I bought a car a few days back, and here's an interesting fact many may not be aware of. Geico can access your New Zealand driving history which is a bonus. I assume they can access Australia also, not sure about other countries .

I have another question. It's been almost three weeks since we arrived and my families SSN haven't arrived. Am thinking of just going to the local office on Monday and seeing what the problem is. Or at least if they have a record of them. Or is that a waste of time? (i don't want to waste half a day for nothing, like I did at the texas dmv)
Is it possible to just call them and ask? No point going in there if you can do it by phone.

Lucid

SS card doesn't take that long. Mine took just about a week to arrive in the mail. If you haven't already visited the sso to check if there's an active application in their system, then I think you should. You'll be able to fill out forms and put in an application if need be. Not sure if you can do all that on phone.

SusieQQQ

I’m not sure if Geico actually accessed our old insurance back in early 2015 but they certainly accepted the certificate of no claim our old insurance company had printed for us before we left. They also gave us a discount for our level of education. I don’t recall now if it was any uni degree or postgrad, but something helped.

Our SSNs had arrived in about 10 days (including weekend). It’s normally there by now, sorry but it seems you may be one of those where checking the box didn’t work. Take your passports with endorsed visas into SSA office to check on the application. You’re going to need to ensure your old SSN properly reflects your new status too.

Bob22

We got the SS numbers all sorted thank goodness.

Now I just need to try and sort out any tax issues I have. Even after calling the IRS I still am not sure what to do. I cannot remember if I filed a tax return in 2004/2005 when I last had LPR, and even if I was supposed to. The agent said she didn't think so because I wasn't earning that year but that doesn't seem to gel with what I read. I was hoping she could just look at my tax record and see if I had any no-file records of fines but she never mentioned anything in my record. Now am wondering if I should just wait and file during the next cycle and see if the IRS comes running or get a freaking lawyer.