• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

The "been there done that" thread: life in the US after DV

Thanks Susie. I have one of those personalities that tends to over think and over analyze everything. Drives my wife crazy.

I think I will just contact a very highly reviewed dealer and ask them what to do, see if they know.

Dealer may not have any experience in insuring new immigrants/may have a cosy relationship with a particular insurer and direct you to them regardless of if it’s best for you. Honestly, if I were you I’d get on the phone and spend an hour or two calling around.

Thanks Susie. I have one of those personalities that tends to over think and over analyze everything. Drives my wife crazy.

I think I will just contact a very highly reviewed dealer and ask them what to do, see if they know.

I have been quite happy with Geico's prices. You can get online quotes; select "I was overseas" as your answer to the insurance history question.
As a general rule, I found that it is to my advantage not to give the dealer too many numbers to play with; they already try to sell financial products whether you want it or not. Everybody in a dealership is a salesperson, especially the finance manager.
By the way, Geico is a Warren Buffett company.

I have been quite happy with Geico's prices. You can get online quotes; select "I was overseas" as your answer to the insurance history question.
As a general rule, I found that it is to my advantage not to give the dealer too many numbers to play with; they already try to sell financial products whether you want it or not. Everybody in a dealership is a salesperson, especially the finance manager.
By the way, Geico is a Warren Buffett company.

We’ve also done very well with geico, but I know others in a similar boat who haven’t, and not sure whether that is state dependent. So will always advise people to shop around.

To your point @SusieQQQ, Geico sucked for us in North Carolina. 50% more expensive than Progressive. But I've heard the opposite in other states. Totally second the idea to shop around as much as possible.

I bought a car a few days back, and here's an interesting fact many may not be aware of. Geico can access your New Zealand driving history which is a bonus. I assume they can access Australia also, not sure about other countries .

I have another question. It's been almost three weeks since we arrived and my families SSN haven't arrived. Am thinking of just going to the local office on Monday and seeing what the problem is. Or at least if they have a record of them. Or is that a waste of time? (i don't want to waste half a day for nothing, like I did at the texas dmv)

I bought a car a few days back, and here's an interesting fact many may not be aware of. Geico can access your New Zealand driving history which is a bonus. I assume they can access Australia also, not sure about other countries .

I have another question. It's been almost three weeks since we arrived and my families SSN haven't arrived. Am thinking of just going to the local office on Monday and seeing what the problem is. Or at least if they have a record of them. Or is that a waste of time? (i don't want to waste half a day for nothing, like I did at the texas dmv)
Is it possible to just call them and ask? No point going in there if you can do it by phone.

SS card doesn't take that long. Mine took just about a week to arrive in the mail. If you haven't already visited the sso to check if there's an active application in their system, then I think you should. You'll be able to fill out forms and put in an application if need be. Not sure if you can do all that on phone.

I’m not sure if Geico actually accessed our old insurance back in early 2015 but they certainly accepted the certificate of no claim our old insurance company had printed for us before we left. They also gave us a discount for our level of education. I don’t recall now if it was any uni degree or postgrad, but something helped.

Our SSNs had arrived in about 10 days (including weekend). It’s normally there by now, sorry but it seems you may be one of those where checking the box didn’t work. Take your passports with endorsed visas into SSA office to check on the application. You’re going to need to ensure your old SSN properly reflects your new status too.

We got the SS numbers all sorted thank goodness.

Now I just need to try and sort out any tax issues I have. Even after calling the IRS I still am not sure what to do. I cannot remember if I filed a tax return in 2004/2005 when I last had LPR, and even if I was supposed to. The agent said she didn't think so because I wasn't earning that year but that doesn't seem to gel with what I read. I was hoping she could just look at my tax record and see if I had any no-file records of fines but she never mentioned anything in my record. Now am wondering if I should just wait and file during the next cycle and see if the IRS comes running or get a freaking lawyer.

Lawyer won't do you much good. You need an accountant who can provide the advice you're after.

I have a question about healthcare I hope someone may be able to answer. My son suffers from Asthma and I am assuming this would be considered a pre-existing condition. If he has an asthma attack once we move over there am I going to have a huge bill? How does everyone find the healthcare system?

Obamacare should cover pre-existing conditions. But Trumps is hellbent getting rid of Obamacare so welcome to Trumpland. :) If he has an asthma attack, you can go to near Urgent care (around $500) vs Emergency Room ( $2K)

Hi, got a question about updating the address on file. I’m a DV2017 GC holder with a reentry permit (expires 2020). I haven’t “lived” in the US yet so the address on file is still the one the GC was sent to (was “in the care of” someone else). I now have a different friend’s address that i’ve been getting mail sent to. Do i have to update to that friend’s address even though i don’t live there? Thanks in advance

I have a question about healthcare I hope someone may be able to answer. My son suffers from Asthma and I am assuming this would be considered a pre-existing condition. If he has an asthma attack once we move over there am I going to have a huge bill? How does everyone find the healthcare system?
I am not sure you can have affordable care act insurance as it is not available to everyone. But if you find a job and they have insurance they usually cover the pre-existing conditions on the insurance. You can also buy private insurance form your state.

I am not sure you can have affordable care act insurance as it is not available to everyone. But if you find a job and they have insurance they usually cover the pre-existing conditions on the insurance. You can also buy private insurance form your state.

One main change when ACA plans were introduced was that plans HAD TO cover pre existing conditions.

One main change when ACA plans were introduced was that plans HAD TO cover pre existing conditions.
Yes. But can someone that entered country with green card be eligible for ACA on the first year of their settlement?
I know for Medicare and Medicaid you have to atleast settled for 5 years.
If from ACA you mean medicad and CHIP, no green card holder can get them until past 5 years being resident in USA.
But they may be qualified for private insurance with lower premium and out if pocket maximum.

Yes. But can someone that entered country with green card be eligible for ACA on the first year of their settlement?
I know for Medicare and Medicaid you have to atleast settled for 5 years.
If from ACA you mean medicad and CHIP, no green card holder can get them until past 5 years being resident in USA.
But they may be qualified for private insurance with lower premium and out if pocket maximum.

You seem quite confused. Almost everything you just typed is incorrect.

ACA plans are available to everyone whether that is through the exchanges, or though other means. People face a tax penalty if they do not show they had an ACA plan. Employer provided plans need to meet ACA standards, which includes basic rules such as covering preexisting conditions. ACA plans are not free, although the costs can be reduced for people with low income.

You seem quite confused. Almost everything you just typed is incorrect.

ACA plans are available to everyone whether that is through the exchanges, or though other means. People face a tax penalty if they do not show they had an ACA plan. Employer provided plans need to meet ACA standards, which includes basic rules such as covering preexisting conditions. ACA plans are not free, although the costs can be reduced for people with low income.
I don't see what is confusing about it.
ACA is not an insurance. It is a law.
The law has 3 primary goals:

1. Make affordable health insurance available to more people. The law provides consumers with subsidies (“premium tax credits”) that lower costs for households with incomes between 100% and 400% of the federal poverty level.
2. Expand the Medicaid program to cover all adults with income below 138% of the federal poverty level. (Not all states have expanded their Medicaid programs.)
3. Support innovative medical care delivery methods designed to lower the costs of health care generally

https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/affordable-care-act/

From what I understand that may be not right, the one insurance that everyone register around October to November every year is Medicaid.
They make Medicaid more available for everyone, and make the premium paid before tax.

I am searching every where. I still couldn't find the law for newly immigrants for getting insurance.

Again ACA is not an insurance. It's a law to make insurance more accessible and if you don't prove you have insurance you will be faced tax penalty.

I would like to know more about this topic myself. As some friends need more information for their life and I am getting info for them as well.

So I would appreciated if you can give me a link that explain how ACA is more accessible to newly immigrants.

I don't see what is confusing about it.
ACA is not an insurance. It is a law.
The law has 3 primary goals:

1. Make affordable health insurance available to more people. The law provides consumers with subsidies (“premium tax credits”) that lower costs for households with incomes between 100% and 400% of the federal poverty level.
2. Expand the Medicaid program to cover all adults with income below 138% of the federal poverty level. (Not all states have expanded their Medicaid programs.)
3. Support innovative medical care delivery methods designed to lower the costs of health care generally

https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/affordable-care-act/

From what I understand that may be not right, the one insurance that everyone register around October to November every year is Medicaid.
They make Medicaid more available for everyone, and make the premium paid before tax.

I am searching every where. I still couldn't find the law for newly immigrants for getting insurance.

Again ACA is not an insurance. It's a law to make insurance more accessible and if you don't prove you have insurance you will be faced tax penalty.

I would like to know more about this topic myself. As some friends need more information for their life and I am getting info for them as well.

So I would appreciated if you can give me a link that explain how ACA is more accessible to newly immigrants.

AGAIN. YOU ARE CONFUSED. It would be helpful to the conversation if you could realize that.

ACA healthcare Plans are insurance plans that meet the standards prescribed by the ACA which is the current law. ACA qualifying plans are available to brand new immigrants, even outside of the open enrollment period either through the exhanges or via employment and so on.

Medicaid is a public assistance program for low income individuals. So NO it is not for everyone to register. PLEASE READ the link below.

https://www.healthcare.gov/immigrants/lawfully-present-immigrants/