• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Temporary I-551 Stamps

Hello Everybody,

Please I need your help, I got a position with Nintendo Of America, and I did all the paperwork and drug screening test and I was about to start tomorrow; and I received a call few minutes ago they said My I-551 isn't valid; it's expired, the visa was issued on February 19 2016 and expired on August 03 2016 ; but I said I was admitted to the USA on June 14 2016 and upon endorsement, it serves as 1 year permanent residence green card, she just kept saying it's expired and I said maybe you didn't take a copy of the stamp showing the entry date, she said you still can come tomorrow to take again copies of your documents and send them to I Don't know who, but I'm afraid that person too don't know enough to say may document is legal, so now please is there any way to help me to convince them tomorrow that my visa is still valid and I'm legal to work, I called USCIS and they said they have some delayed green card production.

Thank you for your help.

Hello Everybody,

Please I need your help, I got a position with Nintendo Of America, and I did all the paperwork and drug screening test and I was about to start tomorrow; and I received a call few minutes ago they said My I-551 isn't valid; it's expired, the visa was issued on February 19 2016 and expired on August 03 2016 ; but I said I was admitted to the USA on June 14 2016 and upon endorsement, it serves as 1 year permanent residence green card, she just kept saying it's expired and I said maybe you didn't take a copy of the stamp showing the entry date, she said you still can come tomorrow to take again copies of your documents and send them to I Don't know who, but I'm afraid that person too don't know enough to say may document is legal, so now please is there any way to help me to convince them tomorrow that my visa is still valid and I'm legal to work, I called USCIS and they said they have some delayed green card production.

Thank you for your help.

She is wrong. Refer her to this page, which officially lists it as acceptable evidence for employers: https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/temporary-i-551-stamps-and-mrivs

I did and she kept saying it's just expired, even with the website, she wasn't convinced :(

Then you need to speak to her superior. The website is very clear about this: The employee’s foreign passport with the MRIV is evidence of permanent residence status for one year from the date of admission.

She obviously isn't familiar with an endorsed immigrant visa becoming a temporary I-551. She's focusing on the expiration date of the visa itself. If speaking with a supervisor isn't of help, trying going on an INFOPASS to the nearest USCIS Field Office. Tell them the problem you're facing and request for them to stamp your passport with the actual I-551 stamp. You will typically need an appointment in order to enter the Field Office, however if you're unable to get an immediate appointment using the link below, you can attempt a walk in at the FO , explain your situation to the guards, they may be willing to let you in without an appointment.

https://my.uscis.gov/appointment

Hello Everybody,

.... is there any way to help me to convince them tomorrow that my visa is still valid and I'm legal to work, I called USCIS and they said they have some delayed green card production.

Thank you for your help.

By the way, if you are using the terminology above you are probably contributing to the confusion. Your visa is not valid anymore. An immigrant visa is a single entry visa. In its place you are now a permanent resident. This is what the temporary i551 represents.

Then you need to speak to her superior. The website is very clear about this: The employee’s foreign passport with the MRIV is evidence of permanent residence status for one year from the date of admission.
Yes, that's what I'm willing to do, talk to her supervisor and I hope she is not the supervisor because I don't know what to do in that case.
I just went to the library and printed all kind of papers to prove that I'm right.
I printed the FORM I-9 ACCEPTABLE DOCUMENTS and it says if I fail to provide a LIST A document, I can provide B + C and I have my ID + SSN card, do you think this may convince a normal person ?

I Printed also this section Receipts where it says / A lawful permanent resident may present this List A receipt instead of showing their Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) to show evidence of both identity and employment authorization. This receipt is valid until the expiration date on the stamp, or one year after the issuance date if the stamp does not contain an expiration date. When it expires, your employee must show you their Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551).

I'm confused I don't know what to do else to convince her as there is no way I can lose this opportunity.
Thank you so much @SusieQQQ

By the way, if you are using the terminology above you are probably contributing to the confusion. Your visa is not valid anymore. An immigrant visa is a single entry visa. In its place you are now a permanent resident. This is what the temporary i551 represents.

Oh you're definitely right, I won't use the word 'visa' anymore,

She obviously isn't familiar with an endorsed immigrant visa becoming a temporary I-551. She's focusing on the expiration date of the visa itself. If speaking with a supervisor isn't of help, trying going on an INFOPASS to the nearest USCIS Field Office. Tell them the problem you're facing and request for them to stamp your passport with the actual I-551 stamp. You will typically need an appointment in order to enter the Field Office, however if you're unable to get an immediate appointment using the link below, you can attempt a walk in at the FO , explain your situation to the guards, they may be willing to let you in without an appointment.

https://my.uscis.gov/appointment

Thank you for your reply @Sm1smom , I called the USCIS after the incident and they suggested to take an appointment and explain my problem and have them giving me something that proves my eligibility to work in the US. unfortunately, all appointments are taken, so I'll do as you said, walk-in and hope they'll help.

Yes, that's what I'm willing to do, talk to her supervisor and I hope she is not the supervisor because I don't know what to do in that case.
I just went to the library and printed all kind of papers to prove that I'm right.
I printed the FORM I-9 ACCEPTABLE DOCUMENTS and it says if I fail to provide a LIST A document, I can provide B + C and I have my ID + SSN card, do you think this may convince a normal person ?

I Printed also this section Receipts where it says / A lawful permanent resident may present this List A receipt instead of showing their Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) to show evidence of both identity and employment authorization. This receipt is valid until the expiration date on the stamp, or one year after the issuance date if the stamp does not contain an expiration date. When it expires, your employee must show you their Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551).

I'm confused I don't know what to do else to convince her as there is no way I can lose this opportunity.
Thank you so much @SusieQQQ

If you have a state issued ID card or a driver's license, you can present that plus your SSN card to your prospective employer in place of the GC. If you don't already have a US issued driver's license or a state issued ID, if you go to your nearest DMV office (or its equivalent since I don't know the State you're based in), you can get a state issued ID same day without an appointment - this saves you the hassle of trying to do a walk in at the USCIS FO.

If you have a state issued ID card or a driver's license, you can present that plus your SSN card to your prospective employer in place of the GC. If you don't already have a US issued driver's license or a state issued ID, if you go to your nearest DMV office (or its equivalent since I don't know the State you're based in), you can get a state issued ID same day without an appointment - this saves you the hassle of trying to do a walk in at the USCIS FO.

Thank you so much @Sm1smom for your clarifications, and I exactly did what you said, I explained that I want to qualify with ID+SSN and asked to talk to the manager, and he said I'm good to go and got the position and worked my 1st day, yaaay haha thank you very much for the help, and I'm based in Seattle, WA.

Happy to hear it's sorted out!
Wow, this is kind of a DV dream journey isn't it - young engineer wins DV, moves to the US, gets job with cool company in cool city :)
Hope it all keeps going well!

Happy to hear it's sorted out!
Wow, this is kind of a DV dream journey isn't it - young engineer wins DV, moves to the US, gets job with cool company in cool city :)
Hope it all keeps going well!

You're totally right @SusieQQQ it's just a dream come true - you should see the Nintendo's Cafeteria lol, it's the coolest part lol - and hopefully it won't stop getting better and better, and truly wish everyone will do it that way and better. Best of luck to everyone.

AWESOME!!!

Thank you very very much @Sm1smom .