TD visa while H1B is pending

alexkandel12345

I am planning to get a TD visa in Canada. My wife is working in the States, and I am currently in Canada. My employer applied for H1B, but it is still pending. I am a permanent resident of Canada. Can anybody advise whether I will have any problems getting TD or entering the US with on TD status while my H1B is pending.

Thank you!

you have nothing to worry about. You can enter US on TD while H1B is pending. When H1B is approved, you may have to leave US and re-enter.

Seems like a waste of time to get a TD at this point, since you can no doubt enter on B2 status without having to go for a consular TD visa (which you would have to do to get TD), and then go to the consulate AGAIN to get H1 visa.

Since your H1 will not have an I-94 attached, you will still ahve to go to consulate to get an H1 visa, before you can re-enter on H1.

So, while gunt correctly says you can 'enter' on TD and then 'enter' on h1, You will need a consular apointment before each of those initial entries.

So, what I would do is visit spouse on b2 (I assume you either already have a visitor visa or are visa-waivered) and then get H1 visa at consulate and H1 status at border, when you are approved.

Last edited by a moderator: