TD visa timing

misha75

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

My wife will have to apply for TD visa in US consulate in Vancouver since she is not a Canadian Citizen yet. Anybody knows how long does it take to issue TD visa?

Thanks.

it depends how long will it take for the name check to come through. and that depends on her nationality too. the avarage for a name check is 4 weeks but it may take longer.

What is "name check"? Sorry for possibly silly question. I'm new to all this.

She has regular valid visitor visa to the USA. And we married in Canada.

I am assuming she is landed?

If so, GO, repeat, GO with her to a border crossing point, and make sure u carry all documents validating your marriage, and her legal status in Canada. She should get her TD right there.

If you do not go with her, and she accompanies you to US later (i.e. after wrapping up your business in Canada), she will get a B1/B2 visa, which expires within 6 months, and you have to file I-539(?) to change her status to TD.

Always keep your notice of action forms sent to you, to track processing via phone or e-mail using the reciept number

I am assuming she is landed?

If so, GO, repeat, GO with her to a border crossing point, and make sure u carry all documents validating your marriage, and her legal status in Canada. She should get her TD right there.

If you do not go with her, and she accompanies you to US later (i.e. after wrapping up your business in Canada), she will get a B1/B2 visa, which expires within 6 months, and you have to file I-539(?) to change her status to TD.

Always keep your notice of action forms sent to you, to track processing via phone or e-mail using the reciept number

Read his first post - she needs to get a consular visa - therefore, he CANNOT accompany her. It's the consulate they need to go, NOT the border crossing..

huh?

Read his first post - she needs to get a consular visa - therefore, he CANNOT accompany her. It's the consulate they need to go, NOT the border crossing..

:confused:

I read it, and I am responding from experience...

my wife did not go to the US consulate. She was not with me either when I went to get the TN. When we were moving to US (2 weeks later), she got B1/B2 @ the border, which we had to change within 6 months.

Was there a change in rules?

I am not a lawyer...dont listen to me :D

:confused:

I read it, and I am responding from experience...

my wife did not go to the US consulate. She was not with me either when I went to get the TN. When we were moving to US (2 weeks later), she got B1/B2 @ the border, which we had to change within 6 months.

Was there a change in rules?

I am not a lawyer...dont listen to me :D

Again, the original post says that she wants to apply for a visa in the consulate (and NOT @ the border point). She is NOT cdn yet and That means she is not eligible to get the status at the border. And No, the rules have not changed. You DO NEED a visa from the consulate if you are not cdn or if you are not the citizen of visa waiver countries.

Last edited by a moderator:
she must contact the consulate for the visa. i dont see any reason for denial because you have already got a TN and you are legally married. the "name Check" is for foreign nationals who apply for any type of immigration benefit and the length of it depends on where the person is originally from. obviously middle easterns wait a longer time than a european born applicants. but generally they say it could take up to 4 weeks. now from your story, i am assuming your wife is Centeral asian. I know pakistani nationals have had delay in name check but i am not sure about the people from india. it is 50-50

Again, the original post says that she wants to apply for a visa in the consulate (and NOT @ the border point). She is NOT cdn yet and That means she is not eligible to get the status at the border. And No, the rules have not changed. You DO NEED a visa from the consulate if you are not cdn or if you are not the citizen of visa waiver countries.

Again...my wife (who is not a canadian citizen yet), got B1/B2 @ the border :D

and...she is not from a visa waiver country either...:D

But, what do I know? I am not a lawyer...just been there, done that. Expirience may vary...;)

Again...my wife (who is not a canadian citizen yet), got B1/B2 @ the border :D and...she is not from a visa waiver country either...

Good for you. Either the POE made a mistake, or it was back when certain Canadian permanent residents were exempt from the visa rules.

Today, trying that is a great way to get turned around right away and returned back to Canada.

Thank you for your answers. I want to summarize:

My wife has a valid B1/B2 visa. She is not a Canadian citizen. She has to go to US consulate and she is facing about a month waiting for her TD visa to be issued, right?

I saw on some other web site that she might enter the US with her B1/B2 visa and request adjustment of status to TD visa while in US. Is it bad option? Can it complicate things?

I saw on some other web site that she might enter the US with her B1/B2 visa and request adjustment of status to TD visa while in US. Is it bad option? Can it complicate things?

It's possible. There is a potential complication, though. To be admitted in B status, she needs to meet a few additional criteria, such as the foreign residence requirement, that a TD holder does not.

As I mentioned, it's possible, but not guaranteed.