TD Visa stamp for new TN dependant

genex786

Registered Users (C)
I am a Canadian on TN until 2012, will be leaving my current employer next month. So my TN status is null and void the day I leave the assignment along with my wife's TD status (she is non-Canadian citizen/resident). But my wife's TD visa stamp is good till 2012. We will be travelling back to her native country the same day I leave from here.

I plan to come back on another TN, and I plan to get the new TN status on landing at any POE in US when travelling by flight from our native country (not under VWP) a month later to work for another employer. Hope there is no issue with that.

So need to clarify:
Could she travel with me on the basis of her current TD visa stamp valid till 2012 and get a new I-94 as a dependant of my new TN status which I would get after landing here?
or
Does she need to get a new TD visa stamp also. In that case she cannot travel with me and will have to wait and go through another US embassy interview in our native country to get a new TD as per my new TN status afterwards.

Thank you very much for your responce.

She can get a new I-94 in TD status at the airport when you get your TN, based on a vaild TD stamp in her passport.

Hello Nelsona,

Thank you for responce earlier on this. I had called a Visa consultant from travel.state.gov helpdesk line(202-663-1225) and mentioned the above situation. She mentioned that once the TN ends his job and goes back to his country, the TN status comes to end. Along with that the dependent TD visa also comes to an end(even if the validity date is still there for another 1 year) since the TN status, on basis of which the TD was issued, has come to end.

She mentioned that the dependent spouse will have to get a new TD visa stamp if she wants to come on the basis of a new TN status with a new company of spouse anytime. The original TD visa stamp would be only valid if the original TN status of the spouse with the oroginal company is re-instated again.

I am concerned about the situtation now and shall really appreciate your inputs.

Thank you

She mentioned that the dependent spouse will have to get a new TD visa stamp if she wants to come on the basis of a new TN status with a new company of spouse anytime.
This statement is patently false, so I would not trust whatever else she said.

As long as she gets no other stamping in the meantime, her permission to enter on TD remains, as long as you get a TN -- ANY TN.