TD visa change of employer

Hi everyone, I have few questions and hoping I will find some help here.

1. my current TN is valid for 2 years with my present employer, unfortunately changed from fulltime to part time. Recently, I am being offered a fulltime with different employer, please advise if I should apply I-129 through employer and can I also keep my employer 1 during this times?
2. my wife TD is valid for 2 years with my employer 1, should I need to change my wife TD within US as she is non-Canadian.

Amberleaf

1. Yes you can, make sure your new potential employer selects "concurrent" employment on I-129. So when approved both TN will be valid.
2. TD status is valid as long as primary spouse maintains TN status, any employer on TN status.

nelsona

Registered Users (C)
if you do decide to go to the border to get 2nd TN (since I-129 will take some time), make sure you tell the officer, and KEEP your current I-94.

Hi Nelsona,
I get confused about the I-94.....What is the benefit of Msreddy1 keeping original I-94? e.g. if he gets a 3 year TN at border, will he be issued a new I-94 anyway? I'm sure this has been asked before so apologies for that....

I had this situation few years back. In 2018, my TN got extended by USICS and I got a new I-94 in mail. I have attached the new I-94 with new validity dates on it and I had my previous I-94 also in the passport (I did not remove it as it still got few days of validity at that time).

I crossed the border couple of times with both the I-94s on my passport. After the old I-94 expired, I didn't remove it, it was still in the passport. I crossed the border once and officer checked both the I-94s, took out the old one and said, its an old I94, you no longer need it as you have the new one. I am taking this off from your passport, your new dates are showing up in the system also, you are good. I didn't say anything

For records, I kept a photo copy of the old I-94, but the original was taken away by one of the officer.

Amberleaf

I understand you will be given a different I-94 for each TN role you are approved. (and different expiry dates, since applied at different times).

The number on the I-94 card will be different for each TN and each employer. The number on the I-94 card will be used by SSA to approve you for a SSN. It will be used for I-9 employment verification (or E-verify). It will be used by your DMV to confirm legal presence in US before issuing drivers licence, etc. They all verify your legal presence with USCIS.

I have only held one I-94 for TN status, so I cannot confirm. I do recall seeing my employers name on the back of my I-94.

Maybe Nelsona can confirm or explain in more detail.

nelsona

Registered Users (C)
CDN9, we are not discussing extension of the same TN jobs, we are discussing different jobs, worked concurrently. One MUST have an I-94 (which is more than just a entry/exit record for TN -- it is your proof of work authorization) for each sponsor. If you are self-employed and have many clients, you need an I-94 for each client.
A TN extension has an I-94 issued, usually with the same I-94 number, but with later date. That is the valid one. The other one becomes a souvenir.

For a second TN, the first I-94 is not mere souvenir, it must be kept valid as long as the first job is being worked. Sure, the new I-94 extends your legal presence further, but both must be maintrained.

Thanks Nelsona, its lot clear now.. there is a difference between having working for one company and one TN and working for multiple companies and multiple TNs with multiple I-94s

CDN9, we are not discussing extension of the same TN jobs, we are discussing different jobs, worked concurrently. One MUST have an I-94 (which is more than just a entry/exit record for TN -- it is your proof of work authorization) for each sponsor. If you are self-employed and have many clients, you need an I-94 for each client.
A TN extension has an I-94 issued, usually with the same I-94 number, but with later date. That is the valid one. The other one becomes a souvenir.

For a second TN, the first I-94 is not mere souvenir, it must be kept valid as long as the first job is being worked. Sure, the new I-94 extends your legal presence further, but both must be maintrained.