TD status holder traveling abroad

sabih

Registered Users (C)
What document is required for TD visa holders to travel abroad (other than Canada) and come back without the principal TN holder? Since the I-94 has to be surrendered whenever a TD/TN holder is traveling, the US immigration on the way back give quite a hard time to issue the I-94.

What document is required for TD visa holders to travel abroad (other than Canada) and come back without the principal TN holder? Since the I-94 has to be surrendered whenever a TD/TN holder is traveling, the US immigration on the way back give quite a hard time to issue the I-94.

Do NOT surrender your TD (I-94) while exiting the US. You can show the same I-94 (as a proof of TD status) at the US POE. The TD holder should carry the photocopy of the TN and the marriage certificate. If the person can carry the original TN, it will be better. The immigration officer had asked my wife for my original TN - the photocopy of my TN was accepted though, but she was advised to carry the original.

In most cases, when you are issued an I-94 for a TN or TD it will have a stamp that states "Multiple Entry" -- when this is the case, do not relinquish your I-94. Stapling it to you passport is a good way to ensure it is not taken away.

Do NOT surrender your TD (I-94) while exiting the US. You can show the same I-94 (as a proof of TD status) at the US POE. The TD holder should carry the photocopy of the TN and the marriage certificate. If the person can carry the original TN, it will be better. The immigration officer had asked my wife for my original TN - the photocopy of my TN was accepted though, but she was advised to carry the original.

If traveling separtaely, it is of course, NOT advisable for the TD to carry the TN's original I-94, since in truth, the TN is required to have this document ready to produce at any moment while in US.

It would be like giving your DL to someone while continuing to drive.
Don't let a silly request by one CBP officer set some sort of standard which is clearly wrong.