TD and UCCB

marwan

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

Is there anybody here who has a child receiving Universal Child Care Benefit from the Canadian goverment? We've been living here in the US since February 2007 and we continue to receive the $100 monthly check for my daughter. Would appreciate any comments on this.

Thanks.

Hello,

Is there anybody here who has a child receiving Universal Child Care Benefit from the Canadian goverment? We've been living here in the US since February 2007 and we continue to receive the $100 monthly check for my daughter. Would appreciate any comments on this.

Thanks.

If you are a resident of Canada (see the definition here: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/benefits/uccb/application-e.html), then you are eligible to receive the money. If in doubt, call them @ 1-800-387-1193.

I participate in a pretty ggod cross-border tax forum at
forums.serbinski.com

You should not have been getting it since you left, this is covered in the Emigrants guide from CRA, which you should have been adhering to before you left canada.

You will have to return the money.

I participate in a pretty ggod cross-border tax forum at
forums.serbinski.com

You should not have been getting it since you left, this is covered in the Emigrants guide from CRA, which you should have been adhering to before you left canada.

You will have to return the money.

And from personal experience - I had continued to receive the money after I left and before they "processed" my forms that told them I was emigranting from Canada. After they processed everything they asked for the money back that I had received after my emigrant date. Luckily I had already figured this would happen so I left the money in my Canadian account where they had direct deposited it, so I just wrote them a cheque back and all was well. If it is not paid back and you file taxes for the year you left, chances are they will keep whatever refund you might have to offset what you owed back for the Child Care Benefit.