TBskin test vs Chest X ray

kcr

Registered Users (C)
Hi Gurus

I have to do the medicals again ( my lawyer didn't submit the medicals when i filed I485). My lawyer says 'do the blood test & chest Xray'. we already have vaccination records.

My question is shall I just take the X ray instead of skin TBtest? Or is the skin TBtest is compulsory?

Thanks for your replies

As part of the medicals TB skin test is compulsory. At the time of skin test reading after vacination and they find you a have problem then they ask you to go for chest x-ray. Some doctors are not taking any tests and just taking $125 and giving reports in an hour. But I know in NY but not in other places.

Hi ravvap

Could you give the info. on doctors that you mentioned?

thank you

Skin Test is obligation

Kcr,

If the result of skin test is positive, you should take chest X-ray.
I know it is always positive for those who have taken vaccine shot before, but most of American don't understand it.
The doctor told me blood test was for AIDS test.
Anyway, how your attorney dare see the medical papers, it should be sealed.

Good luck!

- KIH

kcr said:
Hi Gurus

I have to do the medicals again ( my lawyer didn't submit the medicals when i filed I485). My lawyer says 'do the blood test & chest Xray'. we already have vaccination records.

My question is shall I just take the X ray instead of skin TBtest? Or is the skin TBtest is compulsory?

Thanks for your replies

I only did the chest x-ray and did not do the skin test. I had read on the forum that someone did this and got approval.

Since there is a risk of getting a +ve result (due to vaccination) in the skin test, I only went for the chest x-ray. As chest x-ray is the final say of whether you have TB or not, it seemed like a good idea to straightaway get the chest x-ray rather than do the skin test, and if its positive, then do X-ray. My I-485 is still pending, so I am not sure if this will result in a RFE.

I did not want to do the skin test and I did only X-ray (cost is included in total fee and result comes immediately). But I had to specifically ask for it and explain why (had TB vaccination). Details should be in my former posts.

I too just had X-ray and no skin test. Lot of my friends did the same. Doctor asked me if my company was paying for the examination and I told YES. He said I will save you from a shot and asked me to go and get the X-ray done.

misunderstanding of TB test

There is a misunderstanding of TB skin test vs. BCG immunization shots. Americans do not have BCG shots while many others countries have BCG for children. Within 7 years after the BCG shot, PPD test is likely to be positive. For most of us, even if we had BCG before, the skin test is still valid and accurate since we are not children anymore, right?

Good news (maybe?) is some doctors don't understand and once are told you have the history of BCG, they will reqeust you X-ray only. Good for immigration purpose huh? Bad news is - you may lose one chance to diagnose the problem if you really have postive reaction (though the X-ray is still negative, but you have the potential and it may turn to active TB later).

If your PPD is positive, you are recommended to have 9-month INH treatment. My problem is I did not have the 9-month INH treatment, now USCIS want me to show the evidence that the treatment is done! :mad:

Suggestions
1. If you suspect you may have positive PPD, do not do skin test. Go for X-ray. Make it simple for your application, unless you want the treatment.
2. Watchout what the doctor says on your I693 form. (My doctor give me a copy although the original form is sealed, But I did not realized his recommendation of INH treatment later caused me problem! :(
3. For your own health, you may want to be serious about the skin test. This country having the policy is to protect us not to create trouble for us.