Taxes while on a TN

Giova

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

Question: If I go to the US on a TN, do I still have to pay taxes in Canada?
How does that work?
Thank you.

where you pay taxes has little to do with your immigration status and a lot more to do with the number of days you spend in a certain country. Depending on when you leave Canada (mid-year for example), you might be subject to taxes in Canada. Keep in mind that for every dollar you pay in tax in one country, you get a dollar of tax credit in the other country. find out more at serbinski.com

Keep in mind that for every dollar you pay in tax in one country, you get a dollar of tax credit in the other country. find out more at serbinski.com

-- Not true at least when it comes to the cdn foreign tax credit...

So, do I file a non-resident tax form?
The thing is that I have dual citizenship, from Canada and another country. All my life I have lived in my home country but now I will go to the US on a TN as a canadian. I have never worked in Canada... do I still pay taxes?
Thanks this is all new to me and very confusing!!! :rolleyes:

Giova said:
So, do I file a non-resident tax form?
The thing is that I have dual citizenship, from Canada and another country. All my life I have lived in my home country but now I will go to the US on a TN as a canadian. I have never worked in Canada... do I still pay taxes?
Thanks this is all new to me and very confusing!!! :rolleyes:

If you have never lived/worked in Canada (do not have any income from the cdn sources), do not have any bank accounts/home in Canada, you will not have to file any cdn taxes (or file cdn tax return). Cdn tax law is not based on your citizenship status (unlike US tax law).

If you don’t reside in Canada or have income from Canadian source you don’t pay Canadian taxes. Your TN status had no special tax implication. You could be on any non-resident status and that wouldn’t make any real difference. Apart from some F1/OPT students being exempt from SS tax, IRS and USCIS are very independent.

does anyone have the tax brackets off hand for the state of MASS ?

I just finished university and am a 22 year old going to work in Boston. I'm not married and technically don't have ties to Canada other than my parents and whatever money I have in my joint bank account with my dad. Does that mean I don't have to pay any Cdn tax?

bschoolboy said:
I just finished university and am a 22 year old going to work in Boston. I'm not married and technically don't have ties to Canada other than my parents and whatever money I have in my joint bank account with my dad. Does that mean I don't have to pay any Cdn tax?

By and large, you can be considered non-resident and not pay Canadian tax. Based on what I have heard about Taxachussets, you may not be saving much. ;)