Tax Transcript - Turbotax

Itanium

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
I just applied for naturalization, and I've noticed I need tax transcripts from the last 5 years.
I did my 2006-2009 taxes using Turbotax, and I have access to my taxes, but it seems like it doesn't have form 1722.
On turbotax, I have access to my 1040 form, and some other forms...

Does anybody know if turbotax keeps "transcripts" of taxes, and if yes, what's the FORM name they use?

Thanks a lot.

I would not think that anything from Turbo Tax would be considered an official transcript.
Call the IRS (or got to www.irs.gov for more info) to request official transcripts for free. Return transcripts are usually available for the last 3 years and for anything older you can get account transcripts. Records from Turbo Tax would probably be similar to copies of your returns. They would not show filing and/or acceptance along with possible corrections and payments. Only the IRS docs show that in an officially recognized manner

Hello,
I just applied for naturalization, and I've noticed I need tax transcripts from the last 5 years.
I did my 2006-2009 taxes using Turbotax, and I have access to my taxes, but it seems like it doesn't have form 1722.
On turbotax, I have access to my 1040 form, and some other forms...

Does anybody know if turbotax keeps "transcripts" of taxes, and if yes, what's the FORM name they use?

Thanks a lot.
Turboax tax transcripts are not valid for USCIS. You must obtain official transcripts from IRS via form 4506-t.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf

What do you mean by you just noticed you need tax transcripts? Is your continuous residency in question or have you failed to pay taxes in past?

Last edited by a moderator:
To the OP:

Are you getting the transcripts just because you want to keep it OR is it a requirement for the interview nevertheless the interviewer needs them or not?

Let me know please.

Thanks
howdy_howdy
//

I would not think that anything from Turbo Tax would be considered an official transcript.
Call the IRS (or got to www.irs.gov for more info) to request official transcripts for free. Return transcripts are usually available for the last 3 years and for anything older you can get account transcripts. Records from Turbo Tax would probably be similar to copies of your returns. They would not show filing and/or acceptance along with possible corrections and payments. Only the IRS docs show that in an officially recognized manner

You can get account transcript for the previous 5 years. It is a reduced information but it shows the balances or dues. 1-800-829-1040
If you need more info: http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=110571,00.html

Thanks for all the replies guys...

Turboax tax transcripts are not valid for USCIS. You must obtain official transcripts from IRS via form 4506-t.

What do you mean by you just noticed you need tax transcripts? Is your continuous residency in question or have you failed to pay taxes in past?

My residency is not in question (I've been out of the country twice, for 183 days total... got my green card in 2005), and I have paid my taxes in the past, I just don't keep any "documentation" other than Turbotax.

And Also,
I just want to have it as a precaution.

Are Tax transcripts a requirement of Citizenship interview or do they only come in to question if there are any concerns of residency. What does the USCIS try to gleam from the Tax documents? If the candidate has filed the returns / paid the taxes or anything more?

Basically, if your transcript shows that you did not file or you filed and owe the IRS you will get denied. You need to to be up to date with your taxes prior to the interview.

Are Tax transcripts a requirement of Citizenship interview or do they only come in to question if there are any concerns of residency. What does the USCIS try to gleam from the Tax documents? If the candidate has filed the returns / paid the taxes or anything more?

Failure to file taxes is a serious breach of US govt laws, why would then USCIS bestow citizenship on someone who has a disregard for US law? Residency can be verified in a number of ways, without consulting tax documentation.