tax returns for I-485

anonymous12

Registered Users (C)
Many people on this forum has applied for I-485 and I have few questions regarding tax retruns. I hope someone could help me here.

I am going to apply for I-485 and I need 3 year tax retruns.

Do i only need copies of federal tax retrun (1040) or state too?

Do I need to include all schedules (like A,B or D) and all amended returns If there is any?

thanks

TheRealCanadian said:
Since when did tax returns become a requirement for the I-485 filing?

For NIW and EB1-EA, tax returns are advisable to show that you have been "gainfully employed" in the US.

anonymous12 said:
Many people on this forum has applied for I-485 and I have few questions regarding tax retruns. I hope someone could help me here.

I am going to apply for I-485 and I need 3 year tax retruns.

Do i only need copies of federal tax retrun (1040) or state too?

Do I need to include all schedules (like A,B or D) and all amended returns If there is any?

thanks
I included all of them (my attornrney I mean) ... federal, state , etc

Heard this for the first time. GC is for future job. You don't even have to be in USA or even ever have come to USA when you file your EA application.

Lao-Yi

tony403 said:
For NIW and EB1-EA, tax returns are advisable to show that you have been "gainfully employed" in the US.

my lawyer told me

list of documents to be sent along with I-140 + I-485 package.

It is EB-2 labor certifcation based green card petition.

anonymous12 said:
list of documents to be sent along with I-140 + I-485 package. It is EB-2 labor certifcation based green card petition.

What lawyer says to submit != What USCIS is asking for.

If you want to submit your federal tax returns for three years, go ahead. It's a waste of time and may give USCIS information to base an RFE on.

sorry about missing message.

My lawyer told me to provide last 3 years of W2 and tax returns which according to her are required in order to file I-140 + I-485. I have not filed this petition yet and my application is labor certifcation based EB2.

It is true that you need to include your W2 or Tax return to show that you are paid with proffered salary in the case of LC based filing. It is more related to the issue of petitioner's ability to pay. This is a big excuse for CIS to deny a lot of people's GC applications when their petitioners are small employers with unstable financial conditions. When you submit your W2, you have to make sure that your income is not less than what it is stated in your LC filing.

salary?

My salary is same or higher than what has been mentioned on my LC and this is from current employer who has sponsered my LC based green card.

Question if salary on W2 from my previous employer, if this is little less than promised then would it have any effect? By the way this previous employer has nothing to do with green card sponsorship.

It is a good question. I am not an expert on this issue. I think some one with screen name of "unitednation" or some thing similar on this board knows a lot more about this issue. Maybe you should search and read his postings.

Alien_Simba said:
It is true that you need to include your W2 or Tax return to show that you are paid with proffered salary in the case of LC based filing.

Since there is no requirement that the alien even be employed (never mind by the sponsor at the prevailing wage) at the time of the I-140/485 submission, this is impossible. Take a peek at the I-140 and I-485 forms. Where on these forms under "Initial Evidence" does it ask for W2s or tax returns? (Hint: it doesn't.)

When you submit your W2, you have to make sure that your income is not less than what it is stated in your LC filing.

There is no requirement that the alien be payed the LC wage until after the GC is approved. However, being paid the LC wage at the time of I-140 filing is considered automatic evidence of "ability to pay", and is therefore the simplest and easiest way of overcoming this hurdle.

However, you're making claims for tax papers that do not exist. A recent paystub or two can meet the "ability to pay" issue.

unitednations said:
Although conceptually, one doesn't need to send in W2's, USCIS was rejecting 140's straight outright without RFE if it showed the company didn't have enough profits or net current assets for each year from priority date for the full proffered wage.

I don't disagree that W-2s and tax returns can be helpful in proving ability to pay. My contention is merely that W-2s and tax returns are not required initial evidence, and therefore should not be submitted automatically.

For an I-140, if the alien is already receiving the LC wage or the company has over 100 employees, then recent paystubs or the CFO letter are far easier, and automatically meet the ability to pay requirement. Based on recent memoranda, USCIS ajudicators cannot inquire further on ability to pay if either requirement is met.

Lawyers and myself have seen so many RFE's, denials where the proactive sending in of W2 would have prevented these rfe's or denials that they have become more thorough in trying to prevent these RFE's by requesting this type of information from prospective applicants.

That's correct, but three things to keep in mind.

First, the RFE requirements are changing. Recent memoranda from William Yates have instructed ajudicators that if the initial evidence is sufficient, that they should not use RFEs to go on fishing expeditions. You're seeing fewer RFEs, and less of the boilerplate "EVL and three years' W-2s" that we were getting 1 or 2 years ago.

Second, there's no reason to be proactive on everything. Does everyone submit wedding pictures, shared utility bills, etc. to prove a bona fide marriage without prompting? Of course not - they submit the marriage certificate and then let USCIS decide if they want more or not. If we submitted every single piece of information we possibly could to head off an RFE, we'd end up with a 20lb package.

Finally, and this is most important: the more you give USCIS, the more opportunities they have to dig around. Send in all your W-2s, and maybe there's an employer there that the ajudicator cannot pull up an I-129 for. Maybe you worked on OPT and there's no record. At that point you've gone from an RFE situation to potentially an Intent to Deny (if the period in question is >180 days). Maybe you were not well paid at one point; now you call into question ability to pay again if you're not using the "current LC wage" or ">100 employee" strategy.

The point is that lots of folks get approved without ever being asked for tax returns or W-2s. I never had to submit a W-2, and my tax return was asked for at the interview and placed into the file completely unread.

Submission of tax records should be carefuly considered based on their ability to help or hurt your case. To submit them automatically when USCIS doesn't ask for them is rarely a sound strategy.

pay stabs

My employer is a non profit institute --University and it employs over 18000 people and anual revenue is over 1 billion dollors.

Net is non profit but university is not in loss for many many year at least to my knowledge.

I don't think there will be ability to pay issue with the employer so in this is it adviceable to send copies of W2 + tax returns for last 3 years or may be for 1 or 2 years is also fine.

It is difficult question no body knows the correct answer, could you guys share your thoughts

You are posting in wrong group

anonymous12 said:
My employer is a non profit institute --University and it employs over 18000 people and anual revenue is over 1 billion dollors.

Net is non profit but university is not in loss for many many year at least to my knowledge.

I don't think there will be ability to pay issue with the employer so in this is it adviceable to send copies of W2 + tax returns for last 3 years or may be for 1 or 2 years is also fine.

It is difficult question no body knows the correct answer, could you guys share your thoughts

1.) If you feel your salary is signifcantly higher than the market, then attaching W2 etc won't hurt you. Otherwise, leave it out, because CIS only need to verify your employer's ability to pay, not your ability to receive pay. By the way, I guess most probably the salaries provided by universities are relatively lower than market average, because normally universities count on faculties to receive extra pay from research funding, which is normally not so good for young faculties.

2.) You are posting in wrong forum. There are special forums for LC -> I-140 ->I-485

anonymous12 said:

If the sponsoring entity has 18,000 employees then by definition it is able to pay. Get a letter from the university stating so. Bang - done.