Tax Question After Receiving Conditional Greencard

kenny1982

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
Sorry if I am posting this question on the wrong site but I have a question. I live in Massachusetts and my wife lives in NY. She received her conditional greencard a couple of months ago. We still live apart do to employment/financial purpose. As I started to file tax this time around, I was wondering what would be the best way for us to file tax? Should we file as married jointly or married separately? Will filing married separately have any effect on the removal of the conditional greencard in the future?
Thanks

I can't see any tax advantages to MFS, and it's one more piece of evidence against the marriage being bona fide. Probably really minor, but non-zero none the less.

I have no clue what the difference would be but when I had asked my lawyer, she advised we file married file jointly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would advise you to file jointly with your spouse. Filing jointly is seen as one form of comingling of finances which can only strengthen your case.

Just remember that you have to file in both states. You may want to use a tax professional if you are not totally comfortable with the process.