Tax for dependents not in the US

helpMoi

Registered Users (C)
hi .

i applied for citizenship around 2 years ago. since then i've gotten married and have a child. they are not here. and no citizenship yet. but have to file taxes. how do i file taxes for dependents as they don't have a tax id or a social security number.

has anyone else been through this? any response appreciated.

Even I have the same problems... My wife and parents are backhome and have been supporting them. I don't think we can only do once they have a social security number. Not sure though... let's see if someone gives us any suggestion. Thanks for putting this up... will help me too. So what stage are you in N400?

I'm not tax expert, but I don't think its legal to claim a dependent who's not actually living with you. (Possible exception for student child?)

i thought so too, but read some posts where during the interview the immigration officers asked why it wasn't mentioned in the tax returns that the person was married. may have been a different context then.

it'll be easier for my accountant too this way - not to file taxes for dependents with no ss number or id.

thanks. boatbod, what's your story? :) your answers are the best over here. you're stuck in this thing as well? :

ghanta - been fingerprinted.

Last edited by a moderator:
i thought so too, but read some posts where during the interview the immigration officers asked why it wasn't mentioned in the tax returns that the person was married. may have been a different context then.

If you were married as of Dec. 31, you must file as married for that tax year. You can choose married filing jointly, or married filing separately, but you cannot file as single if you are married. If the children did not live with you for more than half the tax year, you cannot claim them as dependents.

Guys,

People without SS# can apply fot ITIN #. Ask your accountant about ITIN#. You can also call and ask Social security services about Itin#. You can claim a dependent if a dependent has stayed with you for more than 180 days(that's what I recall). Please check with a tax consultant.

Thanks,
Tan

Guys,

People without SS# can apply fot ITIN #. Ask your accountant about ITIN#. You can also call and ask Social security services about Itin#. You can claim a dependent if a dependent has stayed with you for more than 180 days(that's what I recall). Please check with a tax consultant.

Thanks,
Tan

This is right. I filled the form three years ago and I have been fileing my taxes with my wife which is not here (Jointly) and saves me alot of trouble.
You have to apply for TIN number. It is an IRS form which is something 7. I will find out and let you know again.
So basically, your spouse will get a Tax Identification Number, which looks like a Social Security Number format (***-**-****) and then you can use it on your form.

so you can get ITIN for people who are not in the U.S.?

do i HAVE to do this if i am married? so if i understand this correctly,

- i HAVE to file as a married person
- but i cannot say that the wife and child are dependents

am i understanding this correctly? thanks.

so you can get ITIN for people who are not in the U.S.?

do i HAVE to do this if i am married? so if i understand this correctly,

- i HAVE to file as a married person
- but i cannot say that the wife and child are dependents

am i understanding this correctly? thanks.

Maybe "Married filing separately"?

I am filing mine as married jointly. My wife is my dependents and I don't have a child to tell you about that.
I have been doing it for the past three years and have not seen any problems.

W-7 has to be sent with special instruction which comes with the form. Please read it carefully before you take any actions.

Good luck

I don't think you can get ITIN for dependent who is backhome... here from IRS page:

c A dependent/spouse of a nonresident alien holding a U.S visa who
is not eligible for an SSN.

Sort of yes or no. I remember I called them. Whoever wants to do it, do it base on their own risk. You can simpy call IRS and talk to an agent and they will definitly clearfy this for you.

Yes I sent them W-7, which goes actually to IRS in your city if I am not wrong.
No it is not late, you can even adjust taxes for the last three years, I didn't do it but it is possible.
If I were you, I would do some research how to do it, I think they need a copy of your spouse passport or something like that and they will do the rest and will send you a TIN which just looks like a social secutiry number.
If you want me to find any of my paper works just let me know.

Isn't it strange that IRS asks people to submit a tax return along with the Form W-7, just to apply for an ITIN? What if someone wants to get an ITIN in advance of tax filing?

Isn't the ITIN a number that gets assigned to a person for life? Or is an ITIN valid only for one year's tax return?

Do we need to keep applying for ITIN for dependents each year?

no, I am still useing the one I got three years ago for my wife, till she gets here and see what we should do.
I guess, when she gets here, she will use her SSN.