Tax filing extension impact on N400 processing

wannabe_citizen

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Has anyone filed a tax extension and went for an interview? How was the experience?

I couldn't file a return by April, 17th so I filed an extension for Federal and State but paid enough taxes on time. Actually, I'm expecting a refund from IRS. I owe state taxes and sent them a check along with the extension. This is allright as far as IRS and state gov are concerned but I'm wondering how USCIS will react? USCIS document requirements (that they sent with i/v notice) state that we need to provide 'a signed agreement from IRS showing that you have filed a tax return and made arrangements to pay the taxes you owe'. Technically, I haven't filed a tax return although I'm confirming to the IRS regulations and did the needful. Do you see any issues? Please share your experiences/thoughts.

thanks!

I would think that everything is OK - you are in good standing with the IRS. But, it is the USCIS, who knows. Have you tried searching the forum for "IRS" and "Extension"? Someone must have asked this before?

Hi,

Has anyone filed a tax extension and went for an interview? How was the experience?

I couldn't file a return by April, 17th so I filed an extension for Federal and State but paid enough taxes on time. Actually, I'm expecting a refund from IRS. I owe state taxes and sent them a check along with the extension. This is allright as far as IRS and state gov are concerned but I'm wondering how USCIS will react? USCIS document requirements (that they sent with i/v notice) state that we need to provide 'a signed agreement from IRS showing that you have filed a tax return and made arrangements to pay the taxes you owe'. Technically, I haven't filed a tax return although I'm confirming to the IRS regulations and did the needful. Do you see any issues? Please share your experiences/thoughts.

thanks!
Take all the documentation about regarding filing for extension to the Interview. If possible, pay your taxes before the interview. As Flydog correctly points out who knows...

So long as the IRS has accepted your request for extension, I see no reason that USCIS would be unhappy. Basically all they want to know is that you are up-to-date with tax filing, and that you have approved payment plans in place if you owe back taxes. Doesn't sound like you have much to worry about.

For the N-400 stage, USCIS just wants to make sure that you have been filing your taxes regularly. A request for an extension with IRS is fine with USCIS.
When it comes to the passport issuance stage, that is where an applicant cannot owe taxes.

Technically, I haven't filed a tax return although I'm confirming to the IRS regulations and did the needful. Do you see any issues? Please share your experiences/thoughts.

So, I got curious and searched the forum for "IRS" and "Extension". Lots of folks have posted questions "I filed an extension and I have an interview coming up" - but no one ever gave a reply any more definitive than what's in this thread. It should come as no surprise that these questions tend to be at the end of April or in May :)

Wannabe_citizen:

If your extension come up during your interview, please post what happens.

Good luck.

So long you have all the correspondences that you shared with IRS regarding extension, you would not have any problem whatsoever. I'm aware of at least 30 or more cases like this. In some cases, applicants didn't pay the taxes at all or didn't bring the extension document at the time of their interview. USCIS didn't deny their cases; rather ask them to clear up all this mess with IRS first within a certain time otherwise their application would be denied. What important to USCIS is that applicants obey the laws of this country. And when someone deliberately doesn't want to pay the taxes on earned income then it's considered that s/he is not obeying the laws, which shows a bad character on applicants' part and a ground to deny N-400.

USCIS doesn't care if extension is automatic or not; rather what important to them is that you have agreed to pay the owed taxes to IRS even at later than not paying them at all. So make sure to take all the correspondences with you at the interview. If you are ever asked if you failed to pay the required taxes then your answer should be NO because you haven't by making an arrangement with IRS. Just explain to the officer and give the copy of Extension. You have nothing to worry about.

Good luck...

Last edited by a moderator:
No, an extension is not like an arrangement with the IRS to pay back taxes. It is "automatic". Instead of filing a 1040 on April 15, you fill in a half-page (I think) form with your name, contact info, SSN, what you made, what was deducted and what you estimate your of taxes is. As long as you file it before April 15th, and you pay the "estimate", the extension is automatically granted.

Interview done

Hi all,

I passed the interview. Everything went smoothly. The officer asked me if I owe any taxes. I said no as I paid all my taxes due. I filed an extension but paid all the taxes due (and more actually) by the due date.

There were no more questions from the IO about taxes. I took all the documentation (from IRS about the tax payments). But he did not ask for any documentation.

Best of luck for all my fellow applicants. And big thanks for everyone's help on this forum.

Regards and Best Wishes!!

Hi guys, as per my experience if you have filed the extension but don't pay the taxes by April 15th deadline you still owe taxes as per USCIS official. Hope this helps everyone.