• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Tanzanian DV2010 winners?

Interview experience at the US Embassy, Dar es Salaam.

We reached the Embassy at around 0720, having been advised that our appointment was for 0800.

There was one line outside, and soon after the security guard split the line into immigrant and non-immigrant applicants.

The non-immigrants were taken in, in groups of 3, and then the immigrants so it was about 0840 or so before we went through the security check.

At the security check, no briefcases or bags, and even documents in plastic sleeves had to be removed and the sleeves left behind. Staff very friendly, and they allowed my wife to take the baby's food bag in, which contained food and milk. This was a great relief. Otherwise, no baggage allowed, and there are no refreshments other than a water cooler so be prepared.

Once through security, into the waiting area - with the visa desks on the left. We queued up at the first desk (Document Checking), only to be told to wait; they were processing non-immigrants first, so we would be called. Annoyingly, we never were, and I would suggest you keep your place in the queue and let the non-immigrants through; there were people who entered after us, and because they did so they were processed before we were.

Joined the queue at about 1030 (without being told to do so), and our documents were taken at about 1130. Very nice woman (not sure if she was Tanzanian or American) collecting documents, asked me to put all the photocopies in the individual passports (my passport had copies of my documents, my wife's passport had copies of her documents, etc., etc). Original documents all submitted in one pile.
She gave me a slip to go and pay, which I did; current exchange rate is $/1,500 which is not far from the market rate.

At about 1220, we were called as a family to visa desk 2. Extremely pleasant and friendly American man was there, asked me if I was the principal applicant (replied in the affirmative). Took my fingerprints, then those of my wife - my older son also wanted his prints taken, so the CO smiled and said sure, go ahead :)

Asked to raise right hand, he administered the oath, and asked us to sign the forms (DSP 122?? The one which we are asked not to sign when submitting).

Questions, in no particular order:

- Where do you work
- Have you lived in the UK (looking at my UK police certificate)?
- Asked my wife if she has?
- Have you entered the lottery before? ( I had, and told him so)
- When did you get married?
- Looking at my older son, asked when he was born? Then asked him how old he was, my son said 5 - the CO said are you sure, you're very big, you look 10 :)
- When did I get my 1st NL?

And that was about it. He then said documents all look in order, so asked us to come back on Monday to pick up the visas. Gave us back our original documents, and we left at about 1230.

As our friend Grateful2010 said, we are not celebrating until we have the visas in hand...but delighted that we have got so far, and so far things look hopeful. The staff, in particular the CO, are a delight and a great credit to the Embassy. This is rare, and a very pleasant experience/

So many good people on this forum - thank you all! You have provided a great deal of experience, humour and common sense advice all of which have been very useful. I will continue to check into this forum, and of course if you have any specific questions please feel free to PM me.

God bless you all, and give you continued success in achieving your dreams.

Congratulation and we thank God for you on your successful interview. Pray for us as we wait to be current.

Good News

There was nothing big to listen today , than waiting to hear this good, good, good news from you.
All the long wait has paid off and I wish you the best in this new journey.

Interview experience at the US Embassy, Dar es Salaam.

We reached the Embassy at around 0720, having been advised that our appointment was for 0800.

There was one line outside, and soon after the security guard split the line into immigrant and non-immigrant applicants.

The non-immigrants were taken in, in groups of 3, and then the immigrants so it was about 0840 or so before we went through the security check.

At the security check, no briefcases or bags, and even documents in plastic sleeves had to be removed and the sleeves left behind. Staff very friendly, and they allowed my wife to take the baby's food bag in, which contained food and milk. This was a great relief. Otherwise, no baggage allowed, and there are no refreshments other than a water cooler so be prepared.

Once through security, into the waiting area - with the visa desks on the left. We queued up at the first desk (Document Checking), only to be told to wait; they were processing non-immigrants first, so we would be called. Annoyingly, we never were, and I would suggest you keep your place in the queue and let the non-immigrants through; there were people who entered after us, and because they did so they were processed before we were.

Joined the queue at about 1030 (without being told to do so), and our documents were taken at about 1130. Very nice woman (not sure if she was Tanzanian or American) collecting documents, asked me to put all the photocopies in the individual passports (my passport had copies of my documents, my wife's passport had copies of her documents, etc., etc). Original documents all submitted in one pile.
She gave me a slip to go and pay, which I did; current exchange rate is $/1,500 which is not far from the market rate.

At about 1220, we were called as a family to visa desk 2. Extremely pleasant and friendly American man was there, asked me if I was the principal applicant (replied in the affirmative). Took my fingerprints, then those of my wife - my older son also wanted his prints taken, so the CO smiled and said sure, go ahead :)

Asked to raise right hand, he administered the oath, and asked us to sign the forms (DSP 122?? The one which we are asked not to sign when submitting).

Questions, in no particular order:

- Where do you work
- Have you lived in the UK (looking at my UK police certificate)?
- Asked my wife if she has?
- Have you entered the lottery before? ( I had, and told him so)
- When did you get married?
- Looking at my older son, asked when he was born? Then asked him how old he was, my son said 5 - the CO said are you sure, you're very big, you look 10 :)
- When did I get my 1st NL?

And that was about it. He then said documents all look in order, so asked us to come back on Monday to pick up the visas. Gave us back our original documents, and we left at about 1230.

As our friend Grateful2010 said, we are not celebrating until we have the visas in hand...but delighted that we have got so far, and so far things look hopeful. The staff, in particular the CO, are a delight and a great credit to the Embassy. This is rare, and a very pleasant experience/

So many good people on this forum - thank you all! You have provided a great deal of experience, humour and common sense advice all of which have been very useful. I will continue to check into this forum, and of course if you have any specific questions please feel free to PM me.

God bless you all, and give you continued success in achieving your dreams.

congrats tz-bongo........dint know yu entered the lottery as a married...i bet if you married after winning it wuld be bit hard.....did they ask you for affidavit of support?......or wat proof did you show?.....then from ur observation .....were thea any denials?.......then lastly roughly how many pple wa thea for the dv-interview.??....go get your visa kesho..and rem to observe....cheerz

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats TZ-Bongo. Indeed your patience was worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations, TZ-Bongo, that's really nice, you were patient from the beginning. Welcome to the USA!

Hi friends,
Just had a quick question. I won the 2011 lottery and my number came out like this 49xxx. I think that now will be the right time to start the process because I believe that my interview will around july or august 2011.I have planned to start my process by collecting my police records. I am currently living in USA on a student visa and I have been here for about 16 months now. As I was reading the procedures for obtaining the police records, I found out that I need to collect police records from every country in which I spent 6 months or more. Now I have only stayed in two countries, namely Tanzania and USA that meet this qualification. I am kind of confused on the matter of obtaining these records and I have couple of questions on that for the experienced ones:

1) What are the procedures for obtaining police records in Tanzania ? Is the procedure different for those who live in Zanzibar?

2) Do I have to collect police records for my stay in USA as well? If so, then are the procedures different from Q.1?

3) How long does it take for the police records to expire?

Thanks alot friends,I hope to get reply soon.

@ muky

Hi muky, as you can see this thread is old, as last post was for august 2010 or so. I woukd advice you to visit the 2011 AOS only. The thread is purely for those who are already in America. The aos means, ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS. Go there and post your questions, and you will get enough answer/help. Gudluck