Tampa Timeline?

second stage said:
Caillie, I don't see even a single posting within the Tampa DO mentioning recepit of the interview letter since Oct of 2006..
If someone has received their letter since 10/2006, please post your timeline..

On the other hand, several people could have received and aren't part of this board but am hoping the dates aren't retrogressing...

This has put some of my plans(moving, travelling) on hold for sure...
second stage,

Your FP was done on Jan 05, 2007 and you found out on 01-23-2007 that name check was pending. You should give at least another 60-90 days before scheduling another InfoPass. Name checks can sometimes take a long time.

second stage, I thought you had your fingerprinting done back in October. I must have misread. Anyway, with an early January FP date, you're still WELL within the time-frame for an interview letter (like N400 Applier said as well). From everything I remember reading in this thread, it's about 2 months minimum between FP and IL. And for the most part, the actual interview seems to then take place about 4-6 weeks from when you actually receive the invitation.
I totally understand the frustration, especially if plans are on hold, but you only filed 3 months ago, so it doesn't seem as though there's anything unusual going on with your process at this point. Of course this is only my best guess. ;) Tampa still seems to take about 6 months for the whole procedure, and that's of course barring any complications, like being stuck in name-check. Sounds as though you're right on track up until now.

As a P.S. on this: Your signature states that you were told your name check was pending PRIOR to your fingerprinting?
TSC - DO - Tampa
Priority Date ...: Oct 31, 2006
InfoPass #1 ....: 12-01-2006 -- Found out FP & NameCheck was initiated on 11-07-2006
InfoPass #2 ....: 12-15-2006 -- Same update as #1
FP Date .........: Jan 05,2007
As I understand it, there is no way (correct me if I'm wrong!) that they can complete the name-check before they receive your fingerprints. That's the whole point of being fingerprinted to start with.
Again, I understand your frustration, but the process does take some time. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes..Name check starts as soon as you submit your application and that's different than a Finger Print check...
With Name check, as it suggests they comb all databases against your name..

Although, for a successful Finger Print check, a completed name check maybe mandatory or vice versa...

FBI FAQs section states that:
"The majority of name checks submitted on a data tape are electronically checked and returned to the submitting agency as having "No Record" within 48-72 hours and The vast majority of name check requests are completed in less than 60 days"....so am baffled since its been over 60 days since my name check was initiated..

Here is the link from FBI: http://www.fbi.gov/hq/nationalnamecheck.htm

Instance where name checks are done: "attendance at a White House function, a Green card or naturalization, admission to the bar, or a visa for the privilege of visiting our homeland"

second stage said:
Yes..Name check starts as soon as you submit your application and that's different than a Finger Print check...

Interesting. I knew they checked both, but didn't realize they began processing the name check with the receipt of your application. I was always under the impression that they began that process after fingerprinting. Couldn't tell you why that was my understanding though. ;)
At any rate, as far as your time line is concerned, it still seems you're right on track with everybody else in the area. According to the website, they're currently processing June applications, which would match with stbg's hubby having his oath date a few days ago (if memory serves, he applied in June).

N400Applier said:
.....Name checks can sometimes take a long time.

Well, my PD is January 18 2006. NC started on January 25th (per InfoPass appt) and still going on :eek: Looks like as soon as you fell of into backlog there is no way out. While I feel that it is discrimination by our names I don't care much about it. The only annoying thing about NC problem are jokes of co-workers about me being National Security issue due to endless Name Check. Not a big deal since jesters are trying to be funny.

Following is from January 2007 "USCIS Today" by Emilio Gonzalez.
I'm ex-USSR and this sounds very familiar to me when Brezhnev reports that bright future is coming next week while peoples are staying in long lines for butter. :D

"Backlog Elimination: USCIS has eliminated case backlogs of
applications for immigration services and benefits through a
combination of increased employee productivity and reengineered
processes and automated services. The backlog was reduced
from 3.8 million cases in January 2004 to less than 10,000 at the end of September 2006."

I congratulate myself with first year anniversary and I wish "second_stage" to be more lucky. :rolleyes:

z350 said:
The backlog was reduced
from 3.8 million cases in January 2004 to less than 10,000 at the end of September 2006."

I guess this means that you're one of the "lucky" 10,000 whose file is still in the pile? That really sucks, z350. I hope you hear something soon. You never did get to have your interview, right? :(

I had my interview in June 2006 ;)
As for 10000.... the trick is about twisted numbers. USCIS have excluded all who stack in NC from the backlog stating that it is because of FBI. NC backlog is 440000. As far as I know FBI has 125 employees working on NC. You can count how may cases per person. This doesn't take in account fact that new NC requests are coming every day and backlog growing fast.

Sorry z350. I get confused as to who is who with all the nicknames. ;)
The fact that you had your interview at least gives you some options should you ever get desperate enough.
Very interesting about the FBI numbers! I guess that's one way to clear a backlog, by piling files on somebody else's desk, so-to-speak. Any idea whether the suggested rate hike for N-400 will also include hiring more FBI to clear background checks?

So sorry Caillie for not replying here earlier...

Caillie said:
stbg, did your husband complete his oath on the 25th and were you able to file your own paperwork yet?
second stage, any news on your interview letter? Yes, if things go smoothly it was taking about two months to get the interview letter. Don't know whether that's changed at all though.

Yes, my husband is an US citizen now and he can't stop gloating over that fact.. :rolleyes: . Sorry I did not update this forum earlier. But was busy trying to get my papers ready to file . Almost done with that. Most likely will be filing tomorrow.
His Oath Ceremony went off very smoothly. No hitches or glitches! He applied for his passport also on the same day though we did have to wait in a long line. We just wanted to get done with things. He's done it expedited. Hopefully that will be coming in soon too.
Thanks everybody for supporting us in this forum. I learnt a lot and found so much useful stuff on this site.
Special thanks to you Caillie! Like I said earlier, you crossing your fingers for good luck seems to have good results for us. So please continue to keep your fingers crossed for my GC too! :)
One more thing - I moved to Tampa just before his Oath date.

Thanks
stbg
:)

z350 said:
I had my interview in June 2006 ;)
As for 10000.... the trick is about twisted numbers. USCIS have excluded all who stack in NC from the backlog stating that it is because of FBI. NC backlog is 440000. As far as I know FBI has 125 employees working on NC. You can count how may cases per person. This doesn't take in account fact that new NC requests are coming every day and backlog growing fast.
That's not quite true. FBI processes more names than incoming volume. That means the backlog is actually decreasing. The problem is the monstrous backlog generated after 9/11 that is still affecting the current total.

equate said:
That's not quite true. FBI processes more names than incoming volume. That means the backlog is actually decreasing. The problem is the monstrous backlog generated after 9/11 that is still affecting the current total.

Right :D , when I applied in Jan 2006 it was 285K, now it is 440K according to some sources. But anyway, I see no progress in my case.

z350 can you post your time line ?

I called the NSC today...was told I'll have to wait until 7 months(since my PD) before my case falls outside the normal processing time and then, I can ask for a "Service Request" which would send notification(not sure how) to the assigned officer that this case has fallen behind processing times..

Has anyone asked for a *service request* ? If so, please post your outcome..

PD: Jan 2006
Interview: June 2006
120 days were somewhere in October 2006.
I had one useless infopass and wrote letter to Sen. Bill Nelson just in case.
I don't really have time for Pro Se and desire to waste $350.

Received Interview Letter

Tampa DO is very slow in scheduling interviews or probably is understaffed.

I received my interview notice this week for May, 03...timeline updated in my signature..
Case status has not changed online...

I hope this means my name check is complete!!!. Is an infopass appointment necessary to verify or should I make assumption and do nothing until the interview date? any input is helpful..

Tampa DO is very slow in scheduling interviews or probably is understaffed.
Looking at your timeline, you seem to be right on track for Tampa. And yes, the process only takes about 4 months in some places in the country, but 6-7 months still seems to be average. I don't think anything is particularly slow where your process is concerned, even if the wait is difficult sometimes.
I received my interview notice this week for May, 03...timeline updated in my signature..
Case status has not changed online...
I hope this means my name check is complete!!!.
I think the Tampa DO, along with pretty much everybody else, stopped scheduling interviews when the name check isn't complete back in May of '06. Odds are that your name check has indeed been completed, or else they wouldn't have scheduled your interview.
Is an infopass appointment necessary to verify or should I make assumption and do nothing until the interview date? any input is helpful..
There's really nothing an infopass appointment could tell you at this point. You're scheduled for interview, you're within the regular processing time for Tampa, you don't have any reason to assume that anything's going wrong. Personally, I would just leave it alone and prepare for the interview. Again, I understand the wait can be difficult, especially if you're waiting to sponsor a family member's visa or something along those lines. But it certainly seems your process has been nothing but smooth sailing.

second stage, your worries aren't uncommon, but since May '06 they have been calling for interview only after name check is done, feel good you at least have received the interview letter and relax, if you keep thinking about it, it feels like time just don't move fast enough suddenly.

unable to compare

caillie/new dawn, my frustration is because there has been no postings by anyone from Tampa DO for the past several months but yes..am looking to stay prepared for the interview..

caillie/new dawn, my frustration is because there has been no postings by anyone from Tampa DO for the past several months but yes..am looking to stay prepared for the interview..

True! It seems like others who are currently in the application process here in Tampa just aren't posting. But that's not because things aren't moving along. There's just nobody who applied around the same time as you who is currently sharing that information. Try to look at the bright side: Nobody is posting about massive delays, problems or anything of that nature either. It seems to me that a lot of people read this thread (judging by the numbers, and assuming it's not the same 10 people reading it 10x a day :D ), so there should be somebody else, surely. I know reading what other people were going through was invaluable to me last year. But at any rate, I would see it as "no news is good news!!"

Anyway, I understand why you're frustrated. But it really does look like things are right on track for you.There's an oath ceremony scheduled for May 31st, so with any luck, you'll be a citizen by then! Fingers crossed!
And make sure you order those tax transcripts now, because they do take a couple of weeks and we're heading into the busy season for the IRS ;)
(copy of the form you file(d) for last year will be enough. It's doubtful that they can send a transcript for 2006 in time). I had that same issue last year.

I applyed in Tampa, in Jan 2007 and still haven't received the Fingerprint notice date. Is it taking so long? Should I call them or get an Infopass?

My timeline is:
DO : Tampa
01/06/2007 : Mailed to CSC
01/09/2007 : Priority Date (and Receive Date)
01/18/2007 : Notice Date (Received in the mail on the 25th)
??/??/???? : FP Notice Date

it takes 2 months from PD to receive FP notice

It takes 2 months from PD to receive FP notice..
Looks like you are close to your 2 month period..I would wait for another week or so and then make an infopass appointment..although, most often that hasn't been useful to me.