Tampa Timeline?

take the family

It takes place at the Tampa Convention Center, at 333 S Franklin St.

It is reasonably light hearted and not too much hard thinking is required. Take your family and friends, most people there had a few supporters. The USCIS gives you a little American flag to wave.

It is not a solemn enough occasion to invite people from overseas but any local family and friends would enjoy cheering you on. There is plenty of room, there were about 450 new citizens there, and there was room for about 1500 people in total.

I applied for my passport today. I will keep you updated on how long that takes to come thru.

GermanGal Congratulations.......

Its never too late to post. We are helping others by posting our progress on this board. I am very happy that you found us and that you are a CITIZEN. Enjoy....Thanks for having a signature that will really help the people who follow us on the progress. Can the others also update your signature, please. You can do this by clicking on the USER CP above. Edit signature.

Thanks for your answer about the ceremony. What happens there?

Do I get to go on a stage? Will they call me by name and onto stage?

I WANNA go onto a stage :D

Let me know thanks

Ich bin traurig, fraulein.

The only way you will be able to go on stage will be as an American Idol, not as an American citizen.

With 400 people, it would take a very long time to call everyone up and present them with their certificate.

The whole ceremony should go less than three hours. We were out in two because the speaker with the citizenship essay winners failed to show up.

For real? I cant even walk on the stage? so how does it go? I just sit in a seat? Will they at least call my name?

Name changes

There was no mention of name changes in the announcements from the stage. There may have been some discussion with the immigration officer when name changing candidates handed over their forms, but I wasn't privy to any such.

german_gal said:
For real? I cant even walk on the stage? so how does it go? I just sit in a seat? Will they at least call my name?
I've heard that you can get our picture taken with the judge while you hold the certificate. I think you ought to bring your own camera for this if you want it.

Does anyone know if that's allowed, or is it a security problem to bring a camera in?

cameras

There is no hindrance to bringing cameras to the ceremony. Many people had their pictures taken standing in front of the US flag or the projection screen which featured a graphic of a flag.

If there was a judge there, then that person wasn't identified to the crowd as such. There were about ten immigration officers and some ladies from the Daughters of the American Revolution and a Coast Guard reservist. I am sure most of these people wouldn't object to a photo being taken with them.

It is my understanding that whne you change your name, you have to be sworn in by a federal judge?

I have to say I am somewhat bummed that there won't be an "official" handshake and everyone called up on stage that stinks. This to me is a BIG thing and I thought they would make it a bit more special :(

I passed my interview!!! Thank God!
Since I am doing a name change, I am going to have to be sworn in at a federal courthouse, and I do not know when they are going to have their next ceremony.

hwpd said:
I passed my interview!!! Thank God!
Since I am doing a name change, I am going to have to be sworn in at a federal courthouse, and I do not know when they are going to have their next ceremony.
Congratulations! and good luck. Keep us posted on what happens.

Don't forget to apply for a passport and to register to vote.

They have a ceremony at the Federal Courthouse June 15th. I will probably not make this one. Does anyone know when the next ceremony is?

Ceremony

It is the last week of June isn't it?

I gather that your ceremony was supposed to be at the court house because you are doing a name change....you may have to wait until the next one there, as I don't think the regular ceremony has any provision for name change.

You are correct. I just got a letter in the mail today and I am getting sworn in in July!!!

Makes me happy!

I believe they hold naturalization ceremonies at Tampa courthouse once a month as well.

Need some help with sending application

My husband is applying for his citizenship from Tampa. So I guess that makes it the Texas Service Center. He mailed the application by certfied mail and while he was tracking it online, it said - Was not able to deliver. Just wanted to confirm if its alright to send the mail as "certfied mail" or should he have sent it by ordinary mail? Pls, can somebody help us with this question? The address that we sent it to was:

USINS Texas Service Center
Attention N-400 Unit
P.O. Box 851204
Mesquite, TX 75185-1204

My Timeline:

Submitted N-400 : June 2005
FP Date: Dec 2005
Interview Date: Feb 2006
Contacted NCSC: May 2006 (118 days after the interview)
Received a reply: June 2006 - Background checking pending (its been 4 months after the interview)
Oath Notice Received:?????
Oath Date:??????

they didnt mention anything about "pending name check" during the interview, but they said they have to verify my new addressed and stuff because I moved temporarly to europe to work.

Hi stbg...Welcome to the board.....I have heard

several people who sent by Certified mail had similar problems. USPS does not update the information soon. Just wait a few more weeks and you will get your receipt. Good Luck on that.
Just an FYI for others, I sent it just by PRIORITY MAIL. NO delivery confirmation or anything. PRIORITY MAIL can be tracked online. It reached there in 2 days. Since Priority mail is a big envelope no need of extra material :rolleyes: Since we are not sending any oroginals i dont think there is any need to have delivery confirmation(that needs a signature from USCIS).

Good Luck....