Talking to the media

long_wait_4_gc

Registered Users (C)
Hi Everyone,
I think we're seeing some action in the media around the INS screwup. Many of us including SM want to and have tried to contact the members of the media directly. A little advice that can make your message easier to digest & of much more interest that the media will pick it up.

Firstly would I be wrong to assume that a good majority of you are engineers? Don't think so. I've been working in marketing for the past 4 years and regularly speak to the press/media and would like to pass on some tips so you can really make a difference and keep the press on your side rather than irritate them.

Key:
1. Find a spokesperson:- Someone who is very familiar with the day to day issues and intricacies - someone who can communicate clearly and succinctly (like SM, PCee) would be a good candidate.

2. Identify media sources
+ consumer press (businessweek etc.)
+ newspaper (SJ Merc News, Chronicle)
+ TV - reach out to India Post/TV

3. Indian leaders in the community
+ Vinod Khosla - he would care wouldn't he?

4. The idea is to give the press guy a story. That is what they care about. More so in democratic california - this repression of legal immigrats and playing with their future is a real story. Compelling. It gives them ammo to bash bush & his homeland security farce.

But there is a way to communicate this message in a credible and forceful manner. How do you build credibility with the press?

1. Build contact & trust first - tee up the issue at hand and whet the appetite of the press guy. Don't blow them over with 100's of emails and sob stories.

2. After introductions are done and they media person receiprocates some interest, give them the story. Honestly the real story here isn't that 485 processing has been delayed 2X in past 2 years. it could be that honest, hardworking indians that have contributed to much economic growth in the valley & elsewhere are being harassed and taken for a long ride. it could be something else that hits home. In other words, lets work on crafting a story which will get picked up.

Am willing to help SM or anyone else craft, position and push thru in the media.

Best
Long_Wait

I kind-of like his idea.

Atleast that going to media thru known figures like Vinod Kosla etc .. which might give more media weightage to our articles.

But would these guys really care ?? or how do you contact them ??

good point.

to be clear the main force of our efforts will be through the spokesperson.

We write directly to press people. I knew a few in the technology press but in general they are open to new ideas when packaged and presented in the right way

we should not give up in grassroots effort thru spokesperson while we work on getting senior community members involved. usually they won't jump in till they see some momentum in the media around the issue. You see, they want to be associated with a cause that has some feet to start with.

In short, my advice was to structure the initial efforts & build in the future.

Long_wait

Definitely good suggestions. Since you talk to the media, is it possible for you to identify who these people ( in the organisations you have mentioned)are and let us know?

We blindly tried sending emails to journos we thought were the right people about a month back. Nothing happened

I'm sure SM would volunteer to write the email or application which we can then CC to everyone including Vinod K

Good idea.

Lets all get toghther and act on it ............................ I am willing to contribute my time to this ....

to Tasse's comment

If sfgate can do an article on an ILLEGAL immigrant and give him so much 'ink' - we have a good chance.

we've never really gone to the media in a credible way. This reporter atleast is interested in writing about immigration issues - he's on our list!

I'll get back with an initial list of media people

Some of my contacts write stories for techonlogy products - might not be the right audience. But I'll work on an initial list. Would request you send articles/reporters names on this thread so I can follow up and see if that reporter is a good candidate for our approach.

thank you

If sfgate can do an article on an ILLEGAL immigrant and give him so much 'ink' - we have a good chance. we've never really gone to the media in a credible way. This reporter atleast is interested in writing about immigration issues - he's on our list!
I feel the main reason he got so much "ink" was because he was Gay in SFO. I'm not implying we don't stand a chance, which we do, but we need to keep all our bases covered. We also need to show our numbers, the Latino immigration run aims to achieve just that. Potential contributors, potential votebank, its in the numbers. (Ofcourse we will never be able to beat the latinos in that aspect but doesn't every little count?)
I'm all for it fellows, my guess is we are on the right track, if it does not end up along with the "silent protest" and "ECGC petition" threads.

I feel the main reason he got so much "ink" was because he was Gay in SFO. I'm not implying we don't stand a chance, which we do, but we need to keep all our bases covered

This sentence is too funny. Maybe he didnt have his bases covered and hence got so much ink..

This sentence is too funny. What part of it was funny?
Maybe he didnt have his bases covered and hence got so much ink..
And whatever do you mean by that? Do explain.

Ok so basically, we need to find a gay guy among us, and ask him to move to SFO right?

Hey waitingforabreak, will you move to SFO? :D:D

(Ok me being moderator doesn't mean I can't crack a friendly joke huh?)

What will Silly Man do if after our article in newspapers government will decide to approve all gays with pending EBGC immediately? Will you join the club? :D

Originally posted by Silly Man
Ok so basically, we need to find a gay guy among us, and ask him to move to SFO right?Hey waitingforabreak, will you move to SFO? :D:D
I already told you I'm not gay. :D:D
Wish I was now. And I cannot move to SFO, they hate prudes like me out there.:D:D

Originally posted by Tasse
What will Silly Man do if after our article in newspapers government will decide to approve all gays with pending EBGC immediately? Will you join the club? :D

Hmm .. y'know what we are going thru right now isn't much better than bending over anyway. I think most of the people on this board, wouldn't mind a one time ordeal to get over with this year-spanning hassle.

Mango .. do we really have to be so stuffy all the time??

Last edited by a moderator:
This sentence is too funny. What part of it was funny?
Maybe he didnt have his bases covered and hence got so much ink.. Do explain.

Well waiting for break I was just using the word "base" in a lighter vein as this guy is a gay. No offense.