Talked To IIO, RFE Ordered

to dsm2sjc

So if the INS has requested tax returns for yourself - You should be able to supply them

But if the INS has requested tax returns for your wife then you can explain that she was not filing tax returns because she did not have any taxable income.

But I am not sure that you were filing taxes singly or jointly

You have to be clear on this aspect

When you filed for a SSN number did you get a copy of the application ?

If so you could use this in your reply.

You have to consult your lawyer and I hope he can resolve this.

You have 90 days to answer the RFE

reply to dsm2sjc

That is strange. My wife applied for a SSN a week ago Tuesday on the basis of her EAD. Prior to that she had a TIN. We received her SS card yesterday. It took exactly 1 week. They said at the time of applying that it would take between 5 to 10 business days. Are you from San Jose? Is San Jose slow in everything?

Since you got your RFE recently, you can afford to wait for a week or 2. Get everything else in order by then. I am pretty sure you will get the SS card by then. Also since 2001 taxes are not due until April 15, I don\'t think they can enforce that on you. You should be able to add an explanation to the effect and attach returns for 1999 and 2000. I remember folks reporting the same situation in January when they would not even have received their W2 for 2001. Their lawyer pointed out in the response that the return was not due until April 15, 2002. I think the case got approved.

But, If everything else is ready I would suggest you wait a bit for your wife\'s SSN, send in your 2001 tax return, take a copy of that and send in your RFE response. Wish you luck.

thanks for ur response

yes i am from san jose, initially they said it would take 2-4 weeks , but when she called the 800 number, the support person said it take 2-3 months. ..

dsm2sjc

yes but even if you cannot provide tax submission forms for 2001
you should be able to provide w2 from employer and 1099 from bank or share market transactions or something like that

for 2001

thx for ur reply

i can do that. i guess i will wait for 2 more weeks and see if we get the ssn number.