• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Taking pets to US

aussiedudette

Registered Users (C)
This might seem like a strange question, but I was wondering if anyone who has won the dv lottery taken their pets to the US and how easy was the process.

I don't know any DV winner who took animals to the US but I do know people who had a visa who took their dogs to the USA and came from the UK. No problem whatsoever, but the other way around is difficult.

In the US you can easily find a place where you can take a dog to stay, like a hotel or motel, rental, etc...it will depend on the breed. Pitbulls and some other breeds are not welcome every where...

Some hotels charge $ 75.- per night per dog, but there are also motels who charge $ 10.- per dog per day.

Hi aussiedudette

We are in the process of researching this also, so I'll be watching this thread with interest.

We are looking at taking our small Staffordshire Bull Terrier to New York next year and have so far received a few quotes for around $2000, but that includes everything, including the vet checks needed prior.

Many years ago we actually brought our Cattle Dog here from NZ with us and he took the same flight as us, and we were able to pick him up immediately which was cute!

Like bentlebee said above, I dont anticipate too many problems entering the US, moreso when you want to take a dog from there...

Taking a dog from the US shouldn't be an issue either as long as the country has the same laws as the UK...

Bentlebee - taking a dog from the US down here to Australia, New Zealand etc (where I assume the OP is from) requires quarantine no matter what, which as a dog owner, is an issue...

It is hard to take our Pets to the United States. The U.S. Public Health Service requires that pet dogs and cats brought into this country be examined at the first port of entry for evidence of diseases that can be transmitted to humans. Dogs coming from areas not free of rabies must be accompanied by a valid rabies vaccination certificate. Turtles are subject to certain restrictions, and monkeys may not be imported as pets under any circumstances.

Thanks for the replies.

I sort of figured that it would not be that hard with us taking 2 cats to the US - especially coming from Australia (which is rabies free). My cats are all up-to-date with their vaccinations. The drama would be if we ever came back to Australia - that's when the fun and games would start.