Suuccessfull H4 to H1b stamping in Montreal

vij1026

Registered Users (C)
Here is my experience for stamping in Montreal, Canada (Feb 8th 2007).

Booked appointments through nvars.com and changed dates 2 times.

TIP: if you want Montreal, refresh nvars.com every 10 min and you will get it. I saw in the forum murthy.com that one person got H4 to H1 stamping fro Montreal, this is the reason why I have chosen Montreal.

Went to Washington DC for Canada VISA. All they asked for was appointment letter, I-797 passport, TRV form and photo (they have different specification of 35 X 45). got single entry valid for 6 months.

My background: I came to US on H4 visa and converted to H1B visa. I have Masters Degree and 4 years of software experience from INDIA. I was in Montreal for VISA stamping (note: one can't come back if one gets VISA rejected (though your H4 visa not expired) in Canada or while it is under 221(g)).

My fears:
1. H4 to H1B stamping (I am sure there are so many successful testimonies for F1 to H1b Stamping from Canada got one or two for H4 to H1)
2. Non Us degree, Many people advised not go to Canada if you u do not have degree from U.S
My confidence:
1. I have all the required documents and supporting documents

Interview:
My interview was scheduled at 9,00 AM. I have arrived to consulate around 8: 35 am and I was in to the consulate within 10 min.
Note: Take only your documents (you can carry them in a plastic folder) and a small purse to carry your money.
Security saw appointment letter & asked me to go to 19th floor window #13.

After security check take left and take elevator to 19th floor.

Window # 13(hard to notice as it is not on the front side but hidden inside a long way in the middle): The officer in that counter took my passport, DS-156 and $100 US cash & Gave Number.

Sit in area. (14 to 19 is for non-immigration visa, there is a display board with a ding tone up on new number)

After 30 min wait time I got called on window#17:

VO: Good morning
Me: Good morning
VO: When did you came to US
Me: date
VO: When did you started working
ME: Date
VO: Where is your Husband Living?
Me: In US (She asked this Question because I have checked 'NO' for the relation husband for Question #37 in DS156).
VO: She checked my DS-156 (address, phone numbers and previous stays and visa type in US and asked for all H1 documents
Me: I gave I797, I129, Current LCA, Employment letter, 3 recent pay stubs
VO: Wait for some time and we call your name

She did not ask for any other documents

After 30 min wait time I got called on Window#18
VO: Good Morning
Me: Good morning
VO: When did you come to US?
Me: Date
VO: What do you do for your job?
Me: Explained the job duties
VO: We have checked all your documents and that is why I am not asking you much questions and gave back all the documents except 1797 (I have realized that after I am back to my hotel) and one red slip asked me to collect my passport next day afternoon 3 to 3:30 PM

Remember now we no need to pay $50 fee.

After coming back to Hotel, realized that they have kept my 1797. I went to consulate and asked security guard. She told that generally they do not keep any originals and gave one number to call. I have called and asked them and they kept the document and will give it back along with passport. I have talked to another person and found that they kept her I797 also. Make sure that they gave you back all originals.

Couple of other Indian guys also present in consulate many of them got stamping and I know 1 person got administrative processing asking for more documents ( do not know the reason).

I went to consulate next day at 2:50 PM and they let me in after seeing my red slip. I have checked the details on visa stamp. They gave me back my 797 original.

Documents I have carried

1. Original I-797 H-1B Approval Notice
2. Copy of I-129 (H-1B Petition)
3. Copy of Labor Certification Application (LC)/I-140
4. Employment Verification Letter
5. All my original pay slips
6. Job duties from employer
7. Client letter
8. A statement stating my account balances on Bank Letterhead
9. Printouts of monthly bank statements
10. All years Original W-2 Tax information
11. Client Identification Card (I.D)
12. Original Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree and Transcripts
13. Copy of academic credential evaluation conducted by ECE (Educational credential evaluation)
14. Original professional certifications
15. Copy of resume
16. All previous original work experience letters and Offer letters
17. Canadian Visitor Visa
18. Completed DS-156 application form
19. Appointment letter
20. Company Photos and Client location pictures
21. Tax form of employer for 2005 (If your company is small, better to carry this as supporting document)
22. Client manager visiting card
23. Copies of all the documents

==================================================
During Winter Montreal is very cold. If you are planning to visit in coming months take all warm clothes and go well prepared to face the winter.

CURRENCY EXCHANGE:
can't miss when you come out of airport. Take around USD$300 to USD$400 if you plan to enjoy food and nightlife for 2 night and 3 days.

MAPS & DIRECTIONS:
yahoo beta sucks in giving directions in canada with french streets. google is much better. take print outs of downtown and hotel, embassy etc. HOWEVER, once you pass curency xchange on airport, there are detailed map of downtown - very easy to miss but look out on your left.

HOTEL:
Hôtel Days Inn
215, Boul rene-Levesque est, Montreal, Quebec H2X 1N7
Tel: 514-393-3388

CHECK-IN/CHECK-OUT TIME: 12 p.m. to 12 p.m.

My review for hotel:
>> 1 Km from embassy - can walk but better to take cab. Cab in canada is time based not distance - so be careful and be aware of the busy route driver might take you through. the straight way is through Rene-Levesque Blvd.
>>0.8 KM from central bus station. Just in downtown.
>> Good Hotel

Commuting:
The Aerobus airport shuttle service (tel.: 514-842-2281)
Airport YUL (Dorval airport/Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport) has Aerobus (written L'Aerobus on the bus) ticket window right when you come out of airport (no need to cross any road even) on the left. Bus comes almost every 20 minutes from 7a.m. to 1a.m. daily to Montréal downtown (Montréal Central Bus Station - 505, De Maisonneuve Blvd). One way is CDN$13 and two way is CDN$23. Once you reach central station, there is complimentary shuttle to any hotel you want in downtown for free - french people don't give much tip I assume so US$1 was big help to him i guess

TAXI:
Flat rate of $35 from YUL to montreal downtown

US EMBASSY:
Consulate General Montréal
1155 rue St-Alexandre
Montréal, Québec
H3B 1Z1
(for courier deliveries)
Phone
(514) 398-9695
(514) 981-5059 emergency-after hours
(514) 398-0702 fax

(French keywods to note: Rue = street, sortie = exit)

Places to enjoy and visit:
OLD Montreal and montreal centerville are nice places to visit with lot of street life and restaurants. you can just walk in streets with your camera to enjoy street photography OR rent a bicycle just like NYC or chicago and enjoy montreal port. most restaurant menus are in french with english subtitles including couple of indian restaurant i found - kashmir and gandhi.

PORT of entry:
I relased after but port of entry to us is at montreal airport itself. I guess due to the fact that they r friendly country. you get your i-94 right in YUL. and officers do not ask questions other than what do you do or what is your title. from the 3 or 4 other h1 guys i talked with.

If you think i helped you I hope you do share your experience in detail to help others and do not take it easy not to post.

Let me know if you have any other question.

Last edited by a moderator:
All Canadian airports with flights scheduled for the US have a US POE. The primary reason is not because the US and Canada enjoy friendly relations, but this practice allows travellers from Canada to fly into small US airports that do not have CBP presence. For example, one can fly from Toronto to Providence, RI.

vij1026 said:
PORT of entry:
I relased after but port of entry to us is at montreal airport itself. I guess due to the fact that they r friendly country.

vij1026 said:
Here is my experience for stamping in Montreal, Canada (Feb 8th 2007).

Booked appointments through nvars.com and changed dates 2 times.

TIP: if you want Montreal, refresh nvars.com every 10 min and you will get it. I saw in the forum murthy.com that one person got H4 to H1 stamping fro Montreal, this is the reason why I have chosen Montreal.

Went to Washington DC for Canada VISA. All they asked for was appointment letter, I-797 passport, TRV form and photo (they have different specification of 35 X 45). got single entry valid for 6 months.

If you think i helped you I hope you do share your experience in detail to help others and not be a selfish prick or take it easy not to post.
Let me know if you have any other question.

Hi Vij1026,
I very much appreciate you for posting such detailed experience in getting VISA stamped in Montréal, Canada. We are thinking of going to Montreal to get VISA stamped (H1 for me and H4 for my wife). I have started to look into the documents requirement and your list is going to help me tremendously.

I appreciate your sentiments about helping other and I support that fully, I have myself helped several of people both known and unknown with all the knowledge that I have. I promise to continue that (to continue to pass it forward).

My background….
I am on my 8th year extension and wife is on H4 at 8th year too. My I-140 got cleared last October and filled for 3 years H1 & H4 extension, which got approved (good till November 2009). VISA on my and my wife’s passport expired in 2004 (I was working with IBM, changed jobs in 2004)

I have few questions …

TRV form and photo
1. What is a TRV form? Would the regular passport picture (taken in WalMart or post office, or AAA) work for Canada VISA?
2. When going for Canadian VISA, do they ask for how long we want to stay or how many weeks/month VISA we would require? Or do they give the VISA per their wish?
3. I understand, from you posting, that I need to start with nvar.com website and then schedule and appointment first. Correct?
4. A friend mentioned to me yesterday that rules have changed for getting VISA stamped in Canada, that is, if my previous VISA stamped on passport expired more then a year (which expired in 2004) then I cannot get my VISA stamped in Canada and I have to go to India (Country of Origin) …Do you know if this is true?

Once again, thank you very for all the support and help.

Regards,

GCCovet.

TRV form and photo
1. What is a TRV form? Would the regular passport picture (taken in WalMart or post office, or AAA) work for Canada VISA?

--- This is the form you need to fill for canada Visa. You need to take photo according their specifications

2. When going for Canadian VISA, do they ask for how long we want to stay or how many weeks/month VISA we would require? Or do they give the VISA per their wish?

--- They do not ask me any questions. They took my appointment letter, I797, Passport, Employment letter, Bank statement and gave me the stamped passport.

3. I understand, from you posting, that I need to start with nvar.com website and then schedule and appointment first. Correct?
--- Thats correct

4. A friend mentioned to me yesterday that rules have changed for getting VISA stamped in Canada, that is, if my previous VISA stamped on passport expired more then a year (which expired in 2004) then I cannot get my VISA stamped in Canada and I have to go to India (Country of Origin) …Do you know if this is true?

--- I do not know about this scenario. Better check/research in the forum. I used to check immigratoinportal.com and murthy.com forums.

I hope these answers helps you. Good luck for your stamping process.

-Vij

GCCovet said:
Hi Vij1026,
I have few questions …

TRV form and photo

Once again, thank you very for all the support and help.

Regards,

GCCovet.

vij1026 said:
TRV form and photo

--- This is the form you need to fill for canada Visa. You need to take photo according their specifications

--- They do not ask me any questions. They took my appointment letter, I797, Passport, Employment letter, Bank statement and gave me the stamped passport.

--- Thats correct

--- I do not know about this scenario. Better check/research in the forum. I used to check immigratoinportal.com and murthy.com forums.

I hope these answers helps you. Good luck for your stamping process.

-Vij

VIj1026,
Thank you very much.

Regards.

-GCCovet

Hi VIJ, Urgent question

Hi,
I got my appointment for mid of March for Montreal. Once again, thanks to you for boosting my confidence to go to Montreal.

I have a question though.
You did not mention if your fingerprints were taken, or did I miss it!
I would very much appreciate if you could shed some light on that as well.

Thank you.

Regards.

-GCCovet

Yes they have taken finger prints. Good Luck.

GCCovet said:
Hi,
I got my appointment for mid of March for Montreal. Once again, thanks to you for boosting my confidence to go to Montreal.

I have a question though.
You did not mention if your fingerprints were taken, or did I miss it!
I would very much appreciate if you could shed some light on that as well.

Thank you.

Regards.

-GCCovet