Suggest me.........

damahka1301

Registered Users (C)
Im on j1visa for 18months...2months over..and 16months left...so what is d best time to apply for waiver...and any documents which i should start preparing now...plz in detail if u have time....thanx

Im on j1visa for 18months...2months over..and 16months left...so what is d best time to apply for waiver...and any documents which i should start preparing now...plz in detail if u have time....thanx

Apply for waiver any time after you can secure an employer to sponsor you H or green card. Without that, the waiver has no meaning and will not allow you to extend, transfer or get any other J via forever. It is not when you can apply, it is what after application.

Oooops! Then once you've been on a J1 visa and applied and got a waiver you can never be granted another J visa? (probably doesn't make much sense, anyway, but it is good to know).
I knew that during the process of getting the waiver you can not extend or transfer your J1.
Thank you all and specially the moderator-mmed for the amazing task of patiently answering our crazy questions ;)

Oooops! Then once you've been on a J1 visa and applied and got a waiver you can never be granted another J visa? (probably doesn't make much sense

J visa is non immigrant visa, by applying for waiver you showed your intention to immigrate which contradicts the mission of J. If you apply and the waiver gets approved, denied or stuck pending for years, any route for further J is closed forever.

hi

ok so if i have secured a sponser for H1 visa..just after 2months of my J1 visa..so should i apply for waiver...?

J visa is non immigrant visa, by applying for waiver you showed your intention to immigrate which contradicts the mission of J. If you apply and the waiver gets approved, denied or stuck pending for years, any route for further J is closed forever.

Hi mmed, in connection to this, can someone apply for a J-1 waiver (NOS) even if s/he doesn't have an H1B sponsor yet? :)

Can I tell the USCIS that I want the 2 yr residency requirement waived because I intend to apply for a, say tourist Visa in the future?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi mmed, in connection to this, can someone apply for a J-1 waiver (NOS) even if s/he doesn't have an H1B sponsor yet? :)

Can I tell the USCIS that I want the 2 yr residency requirement waived because I intend to apply for a, say tourist Visa in the future?

Thanks.

Yes you can apply for J without any H offer. The point is if the waiver granted, you can not extend, transfer or get new J forever.
You have to write reason why you want to be waived from the 2 year country, not just because I have H offer or I want to apply for tourist visa (without waiver you still can apply and get tourist visa). There should be a convincing legitimate reason behind your request. Search this forum for samples