Successful H1B stamping at Toronto

Also..

Try to pay the fees by cash in US$. I believe if you pay by a US check then the deposit time could be 5-10 minutes more. I thought no harm in carrying cash & thus saving on time, just to be sure that I reach the consulate in time.

titu

How long?

Titu,

Can you please tell us how long did it take for you to finally get your passport back with the visa. How long was your trip Toronto.
Did they keep your passport after the interview? e.t.c

Any information would be really helpful.

Thanks
Jack

:-

Is anyone have the latest Toronto visa stamping experience on PR card.

And what documents they required exactly,

I came here 4 months before,

did they require current job status,

right now no proper jobs in canada ("kuch nahi hai").

i am doing here some temporary jobs.

Plz help me out.
Rajesh

H1b stamping in Toronto

Hi

I got my visa stamped last week in Toronto. This forum was helpful and it is great to help each other out.

To give my details

F1 visa -> opt -> H1B (first time) (Indian passport holder)

The consulate is located in downtown Toronto. I flew to Buffalo, rented the car to Toronto (102 miles). Was well prepared. One set of documents - essential ones (like your I-129, I-797, Employer letter) and other one non essential documents (I-20's, pay stubs, etc. etc)

I was asked for the following

a) I-129, I-797, previous passports to US (your lawyer gives you that once your petition is approved), my degree certificate (had a good look at it - it is from US univ, Masters computer science)

b) What I did did in US so far, what you do, what company does

My suggestions
a) Be confident, be polite (no gidgao stuff)
b) Be well prepared ( I had even documents from school saying I was in status all the time I was in school, had all I-20's, company brochures, social security statements, my tax returns, and what not, you guess it (letter from employer that his job may require travel abroad), my business card, any documents that show that you did not do any wrong and you were never out of status)
c) take plenty of cash (I would say atleast USD300)

Within 2 mins of these questions, I was asked to pay reciprocity fees ($75), then another officer asked me few questions and thats it, said that he is approving and you can pick up your passport between 3 and 4 pm next day

There is atleast 30/40 mins wait to pick up the passport (got my Passport bock with I-797 approval notice)

Since I had not submitted my I-94 (since canadian officer did not take it) so when driving back, I did not have to go through their immigration office. The guy at checkpoint said since you already have I-94 you can go straight up. (I had to get canadian visa too ahead of time though before I headed up to Toronto, which is very simple, and got it in mail in about 20 days, applied at washington, dc). There is Scotia bank close to Consular office
(I paid the $100 application fee the day before) USD are accepted everywhere in Canada though, even indian restaurants, which are plenty). You can get your photo taken inside the embassy. It is cheaper at $5 Canadian. Make sure that you have $5 CDN bill because it does not take any other bills)- and read the instructions before putting the money in)

I do not think the appointment time means anything. I had to wait for about 1.5 hrs. Poeple before me were still waiting. Meaning if you get in late, that is ok I guess.

That is pretty much it. Feel free to ask me anything if you have questions.

I feel going to Canada is better then going to your home country straight away. Worse comes to worse, they can send you to India. Though I did feel, that I should have taken an indian appoinment as well - was making me nervous, what if they send me to India). There is a month waiting time for web appointment in India last time I checked.

I would say that it was an experience, but it is a relief once you get it.

Good luck to you all

Anil

H1B Stamping in Canada

Hi everybody,
I also just came from canada after my successful H1B stamping(f1->opt->h1b). This site has been of profound help to me. My special thanks to Anil and Titu, whose detailed postings without any flaw was very helpful. I pretty much had the same experience as Anil and i have nothing new to include in the posting. But i would be glad to help anyone who has any questions regarding it.
I have one question to Anil though. Mr.Anil, u said since your I-94 was not taken by canada immigration officer, u re-entered into US without getting a new I-94. Thats what exactly happened to me. I also drove to canada, and the canada immigration officer didnot take my I-94(which is my F1, I-94), so while re-entering, the US immigration office saw my old I-94 and lemme in. Could you please tell me, whether my old I-94 would be valid or is there anything I have to do to get a new I-94.
FYI : I didnot get a new I-94 with my H1B approval notice.
Please lemme know if you know anything abt it.
Thank you,
Priya

Re: H1B Stamping in Canada

Glad it worked for you & Anil. Enjoy!!!!

titu

Originally posted by Priya_Suri
Hi everybody,
I also just came from canada after my successful H1B stamping(f1->opt->h1b). This site has been of profound help to me. My special thanks to Anil and Titu, whose detailed postings without any flaw was very helpful. I pretty much had the same experience as Anil and i have nothing new to include in the posting. But i would be glad to help anyone who has any questions regarding it.
I have one question to Anil though. Mr.Anil, u said since your I-94 was not taken by canada immigration officer, u re-entered into US without getting a new I-94. Thats what exactly happened to me. I also drove to canada, and the canada immigration officer didnot take my I-94(which is my F1, I-94), so while re-entering, the US immigration office saw my old I-94 and lemme in. Could you please tell me, whether my old I-94 would be valid or is there anything I have to do to get a new I-94.
FYI : I didnot get a new I-94 with my H1B approval notice.
Please lemme know if you know anything abt it.
Thank you,
Priya

Priya_Suri:

“so while re-entering, the US immigration office saw my old I-94 and let me in. Could you please tell me, whether my old I-94 would be valid or is there anything I have to do to get a new I-94.
FYI : I didnot get a new I-94 with my H1B approval notice”
--------------- I hope you and US immigration officer did a mistake when you entered US, you should have informed the Immigration officer at border post that your I-94 is based on F-1 and you need new I-94 based on H1B visa stamp and with H1 status and he would have given you new I-94 based on your H1B visa and your I-94 should be with H1b status on it. Discuss your option with your lawyer, your status is NOT H1B according to I-94, if you stay near to Canada or Mexico border just exit and enter with new I-94 with H1b status

Hi Priya

It is not possible that you did not get your new I-94 when you got H1B.

I-94 is the right hand bottom portion of your I-797 approval notice. (it is part of the same page)

Thanks

Anil

Priya Did not get I-94 with H1B read the above post she/he has still has I-94 based on F-1, He/she needs I-94 with H1B status

L1 to H1

Hi,

I am trying to get the stamping for my L1 to H1B visa. My attorney is suggesting that I go to toronto for this.

From what I have read here, I think it is easy if I have a US diploma, which I dont have. My masters is from a UK univeristy. But I have worked in US for the last 5 years with my L1. Will it be a problem since I do not have a US degree. Can any one share their experiences in toronto with a non US degree.

Thanks.

When did you schedule your interview and how much time did it take to get your interview date?

I mean on what date did you schedule your interview date and when was your interview held.

As I understand, the actual interview and visa revalidation happened on the same day for you.

Thanks

Hello-

There is no problem if you are having degree from UK instead of US. Secondly I always advise to go for Ottawa for visa re-validation. I think due to less people applying from Ottawa compared to Toronto the staff at Ottawa seems to be very freindly due to less load of work I beleive.
It is matter of 5 hrs drive one way from Toronto but save you a extra day in Passport return. You get the passport return same day while from Toronto you get your passports return next day after visa stamping.

Thanks for the feedback

Hi Sali,

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will still go to Toronto since I will be driving from NY. With two kids I would like the driving not to be streched to Otaawa, but thanks for the input.

I am planning to get it done in the middle of Oct. Will post the feedback. This forum has been very helpful for me.

Thanks everybody.

degree

From what I see in other posts, there are more or less preferred consulates in Canada if one has not a US degree. Besides Ottawa, do you guys have any experiences with Montreal - approval rate and # of days to wait ?

What if I have a degree from Central Europe and 4 years + experience in US ? Is UK degree preferable because this is where Canada has its roots ?

I guess, the general rule of thumb is the consulate official should be able to evaluate the credentials of the applicant. I believe, if one has a Bachelors degree from a developing country, the toronto officials typically take the stand of "we dont know if you are capable of doing the job specified in the H1B application" irrespective of whether you have been doing the same job for years or not.