• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

submitting AOS paperwork before visa number is current

vk96

Registered Users (C)
I read in few places that sometimes people submit their AOS paperwork, do fingerprinting, etc. before visa number becomes available.

I also read that a person has to sumbit their AOS paperwork ONLY when their number becomes current and if they sumbit when it is not current they get rejected.

And I read that some states allow submission of documents before number becomes current because they know that everything can take a long time.

May be somebody knows what states allow early submission? May be bacause know everybody has to submit to Chicago lockbox, they are rejecting everybody whose number is not current?

aos

I am planning to subbmit my papers for AOS now before my number becomes current, I was told that you can do that. What other papers did you submit?

Hi,

I didnt submit anything yet. When I made an InfoPass appointment, immigration officer told me that I can not submit anything before October 1st.
I read some posts that people get rejected if they submit too early, some other posts said that people submit early and they are ok. So I am confused myself.

Make ABSOLUTELY sure that you are allowed to submit AOS paperwork before you do it, because otherwise it will be rejected.

My lawyer told me that you can submit for AOS up to 90 days earlyer. I went to an infopass and I got the same answer but they also told me that if my file is not processed in time I can try again for another lottery next year so ...

My lawyer told me exactly the same. He called KCC to make sure about some forms and they told him that AOS can be sumbitted 90 days in advance.
But I am reading all other posts and everybody says that you can submit AOS documents only when your number becomes current.

When you look at previous bulletins, when your number should become current?

This is all to confusing and to be honest I kinda lost any hope of getting those papers. But on the other hand how many cases out of how many have those problems with papers. I'm gonna submit my papers anyway early before the fiscal year 2006 beggins. One question, what are the responsibilities of the sponsor, I have hard times finding one. Do you know?

I am not sure, but this is what I found on the internet. Also may be somebody who already did this could help us?

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1328.html

Should diversity (DV) or returning resident (SB) applicants use the I-864 or the I-134?
They should use the I-134. The I-864 can only be used in the specified categories (most family-based and certain employment-based cases). All other applicants must use the I-134 if an affidavit of support is needed.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/files/i-134.pdf

5. That I am willing and able to receive, maintain and support the person(s) named in item 3. That I am ready and willing to
deposit a bond, if necessary, to guarantee that such person(s) will not become a public charge during his or her stay in the
United States, or to guarantee that the above named person(s) will maintain his or her nonimmigrant status, if admitted
temporarily and will depart prior to the expiration of his or her authorized stay in the United States.
6. That I understand this affidavit will be binding upon me for a period of three (3) years after entry of the person(s) named in
item 3 and that the information and documentation provided by me may be made available to the Secretary of Health and
Human Services and the Secretary of Agriculture, who may make it available to a public assistance agency.

Last edited by a moderator:
vk96 said:
I read in few places that sometimes people submit their AOS paperwork, do fingerprinting, etc. before visa number becomes available.

I also read that a person has to sumbit their AOS paperwork ONLY when their number becomes current and if they sumbit when it is not current they get rejected.

And I read that some states allow submission of documents before number becomes current because they know that everything can take a long time.

May be somebody knows what states allow early submission? May be bacause know everybody has to submit to Chicago lockbox, they are rejecting everybody whose number is not current?
Yoy will waste time and money. Your case will be rejected.

ekriv said:
Yoy will waste time and money. Your case will be rejected.

To EKRIV:

And why my case will be rejected?

I am just asking people if they know anything about submitting paperwork before visa number becomes available.

vk96 said:
To EKRIV:

And why my case will be rejected?

I am just asking people if they know anything about submitting paperwork before visa number becomes available.
You can file your case when your number will be current in visa bulletin.
By example:
Visa bulletin published in July has Cut-off # for August and September.
If your number will be current in September, earliest filing date is August 1.
Open http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_2573.html
and read first paragraph.

A. STATUTORY NUMBERS
1. This bulletin summarizes the availability of immigrant numbers during August. Consular officers are required to report to the Department of State documentarily qualified applicants for numerically limited visas; the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services in the Department of Homeland Security reports applicants for adjustment of status.

don't do it

I saw another lawyer today and he told me not to send the papers before my number becomes current. I gues the first lawyer knows crap. At the infopass appointment they told me the same thing so i am going to wait until it becomes current, and send the papers one month ahead. Do you have to have a sponsor? each lawyer has his story about this

jacobson00 said:
i think the safe thing is wait
The safe way - read carefully visa bulletin. See my message above.
If you will file your petition before your number will be current YOUR PETITION WILL BE DENIED BY THE LAW!!!

so for those whose numbers are current for september 05 only have a month to send their aos candidature and interview in that month???//

OH MY

jacobson00 said:
so for those whose numbers are current for september 05 only have a month to send their aos candidature and interview in that month???//
OH MY
If you will file your petition on October 1 during a month you will receive I-797.
After it you will call customer service and ask about date of your fingerprints.
Depend of your location you will wait for fingerprints between 2 and 6 weeks.
Then Name check, then interview and GC approval.

ekriv said:
If you will file your petition on October 1 during a month you will receive I-797.
After it you will call customer service and ask about date of your fingerprints.
Depend of your location you will wait for fingerprints between 2 and 6 weeks.
Then Name check, then interview and GC approval.

i thought u had to hve your gc by the 30th

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_2573.html

Registrants living legally in the United States who wish to apply for adjustment of their status must contact the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services for information on the requirements and procedures. Once the total *50,000 visa numbers have been used, the program for fiscal year 2006 will end. Selected applicants who do not receive visas by September 30, 2006 will derive no further benefit from their DV-2006 registration. Similarly, spouses and children accompanying or following to join DV-2006 principal applicants are only entitled to derivative diversity visa status until September 30, 2006.