Studying while I485 pending

kewlmarc

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,
I've filed I485 RD 09/30/2002 and ND 10/22/2002 and am currently waiting for EAD approval.
In the meantime I'm applying to B-schools and hopefully if my application is accepted then I've plans to do my MBA next year.
Most of the schools I'm applying to start their session late July/August ,2003.
Q1) My question to the forum what is the best approach I should follow if my 485 does'nt get approved by August,2003(which considering the current rate of approvals is quite possible)
Q2)If my I485 does'nt get approved by July,2003 then Can I join B-school without affecting my Green Card status?
Q3) What are the options I have to save my Green Card status and at the same time join school
I also happen to have a H-1B from the sponsoring company valid till January 2005.
Any inputs will be highly appreciated..I've got wonderful inputs from people in this forum prior to filing I140 and I 485 and expect the same from the forum.
I would also love inputs from people who are in the same boat

Thank you all
and best of luck to each individual at whatever stage of their GC.

:) ;)

As long as your case does not get a local INS transfer or your employer writes to INS that you have jumped ship, or you dont get a Request for evidence for employment proof, you might be able to pursue the B school using EAD and later using GC.

However, you are legally bound to work for an employer after the approval of GC in the field and job described in LC/140.

Studying when 485 pending

Hi everyone, joined the group only today. As of date (11/7), 140 is approved and 485, EAD and AP for me and my wife to be filed later this month. Things are not too good with my company (geez, is that a surprise in this economy) and I just came on the bench. While I think I may be safe for the time being, I am exploring options. My questions for the gurus are -

The following questions may seem rambling, please excuse. The following questions apply for the following 2 scenarios -

a) What happens if I am laid off before six months have elapsed after filing 485 ?
b) Can I leave my employer 6 months after filing 485 and go to b-school ?

1) Assuming I am still in status, do I neccessarily have to look for a job or could I go to b-school ?

2) In the event I can go to b-school, would my 485 be still active (since I am not working, AC21 portability provisions may not apply) ?

3) Will my 485 be approved even when I am not working ?

4) Do I have to come back and work for my present sponsoring employer after I finish b-school ?

5) How does all of the above affect my wife as she is presently working ?

6) Finally, if I go to b-school, it will be in the TSC area whereas my petition is with NSC. Does this affect at all ?

Thanks everyone.