Student Visa Question

Abhay

Registered Users (C)
Hi All

I have a question regarding student visa.

Can we convert from Visitor Visa (In US for past 10 months) to student visa if we get admission in University?

And if we can, what is the procedure? Do we need to file I-539 (Change of status) along with I-20?

Originally posted by Abhay
Can we convert from Visitor Visa (In US for past 10 months) to student visa if we get admission in University? And if we can, what is the procedure? Do we need to file I-539 (Change of status) along with I-20?

You'll need to file the I-539 along with the I-20, I believe. You CANNOT attend class until the I-539 is approved.

Why are you asking this on the I-485 board? Is there any Green Card proceeding we should know about? That can make a HUGE difference on your chances of success.

Re: Re: Student Visa Question

Thanks for ur reply.

It's not for me, but for my relative. She is in US and wants to join PhD.
And I didn't understand ur question abt ->
Originally posted by TheRealCanadian
Is there any Green Card proceeding we should know about? That can make a HUGE difference on your chances of success.

I don't think one can convert from a visitor visa to F1 visa, UNLESS they told the immigration officer at Port of Entry that they intend to do so.
Search this web site or Murthy's web site on more detail discussion about this issue.

It used be the case earlier.

I remember this. It used to be case earlier (prior to 9/11). (Remember some of the 9/11 hijackers were approved student visas well past 9/11). I am not sure if this practise continues in the post 9/11 scenario. Even if you get approval, you may have to visit your home country to have the VISA stamped.

The law is clear on this. If a person came in on a visitor visa she/he would have to state their intent to convert to a F-1 status at the port of entry. Ohterwise the person would have to exit the country and obtain the F-1 status.

Read this:
http://travel.state.gov/foreign_student_visas_handout.html

In particular:
"A student who wants to an earlier entry in the U.S. (more than 30 days prior to the course start date), must qualify for, and obtain a visitor visa. A prospective student notation will be shown on his/her visitor visa and the traveler will need to make the intent to study clear to the U.S. immigration inspector at port of entry. Before beginning any studies, he or she must obtain a change of classification, filing Form I-506, Application for Change of Nonimmigrant Status, and also submit the required Form I-20 to the Department of Homeland Security office where the application is made. Please be aware that there is an additional fee of $140 for this process, and that one may not begin studies until the change of classification is approved."

COnvrting B2 to H1B VISA

Do you know the implications of this if one enters into the country on B2 and then converts to H1b and goes back to Embassy in India to get it stamped after one year, will Embassy look at him with negative attidue? what do you think?