Student Loan

eddie_240 said:
Any idea where should a Asylee go for a student loan.

There is no procedure unique to your asylee status, to apply for student loan. Go to the the dept of education, and apply for a pin..then... It is actually very easy to get student loan.

bornTwice said:
There is no procedure unique to your asylee status, to apply for student loan. Go to the the dept of education, and apply for a pin..then... It is actually very easy to get student loan.

Your first step is to file your FAFSA. You can do so online.

be ready

As others already said here, there is no special procedure. Just be ready to read everything ANY student does to apply for financial aid. Fill out the forms or apply for it online (faster if you do it online). Depending how much money you make, you may qualify for some "free moneys" if you are low income.

Good luck! Education is indeed one of the best things this country has to offer.

eddie_240 said:
Any idea where should a Asylee go for a student loan.

That's right. Submit online FAFSA form and wait for some time. It shouldn't take long. I was granted asylum in May and in August I was admitted to the university. It's fairly easy to do.

BTW be ready to pass TOEFL soon.

Guys, I have a question regarding FASFA. I have got my PIN from the Department of Education but didn't apply for FASFA. I am planing to apply for graduate study this fall. So my question is : Is there any specific deadline to apply for FASFA or I should wait to get admitted to the university? Can apply now for FASFA and the to university? Thanks or your response.

I got admitted in the University and have financial aid. I need some extra money as financial aid doesn't complete the cost of my tution. So probably I will have to go to a bank and apply for a student loan.

eddie_240 said:
I got admitted in the University and have financial aid. I need some extra money as financial aid doesn't complete the cost of my tution. So probably I will have to go to a bank and apply for a student loan.

I guess almost every bank has a student loans program. All depends on how much u gonna borrow, your credit history,employment and if u have a co-signer.As far as I know many credit unions require at least 2 year credit history with high score and 2 years of full time employment. If u meet those requirement u can borrow up to $30,000 per year even without a co-signer.

Hhemc! FAFSA dealine is July 30 for this coming fall of 2005. Make sure you file well in advance of this date (preferably 2 weeks in advance)

Spoke to some of the banks today and they told me that I am not eligible for a student loan as I am not a permanent resident and don't have a green card. Even if I had a green card I would need a co-signer which again I don't have.

I already have financial aid but it doesn't cover the whole tuition.

Any sugesstions.

Isn't this the same thing as financial aid. If it is I am already approved for it. This is what my told from my financial aid advisor that I am approved for.

Pell Grant 400/ Per Year
Stafford subsidized 2625/Per Year
Stafford unsubsidized 4000/Per Year

My tution cost is 14,500 per year and with the aid given I will need 7500 extra every year.

So where do I go to get this extra 7500 I can't go to a bank because they need a green card and a cosigner which I don't have.

Any Suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the way FAFSA work is that they provide full cost. The schools give them estimate and FAFSA usually covers full tuition and costs. Government do not want to see you hanging in the air with half loan. I don't know how this happened to you.

Having obtained FAFSA is a clear indication that US Gov. considers you a resident otherwise they do not issue loans. Use this fact in your favor while talking to banks. Also open the phone directory and start calling banks. Someone WILL give you loan.

good luck,

I berlieve you need to provide with your A number in the application. they check it with immigration to see if you are eligible. I believe when i took a loan I put down permanent resident along with my A# (there is a section for all this)

I believe you need to provide them with your A number in the application. they check it with immigration to see if you are eligible. I believe when I took out a student loan I put down permanent resident along with my A# (there is a section for all this)

Lazerthegreat said:
Well the way FAFSA work is that they provide full cost. The schools give them estimate and FAFSA usually covers full tuition and costs. Government do not want to see you hanging in the air with half loan. I don't know how this happened to you.

Having obtained FAFSA is a clear indication that US Gov. considers you a resident otherwise they do not issue loans. Use this fact in your favor while talking to banks. Also open the phone directory and start calling banks. Someone WILL give you loan.

good luck,

But I heard that u can't get more than some fixed amount from Financial Aid. For Stafford loan it's $28,000 total or something like that. However, I may be wrong.As for me, I was granted 2 federal grands and one state + one scholarship, which covered all my tuition and fees for the coming academic year ( that's how chip my university is :) ). I would recommend Eddie to consider other credit unions and banks. I constantly receive adds from them. And I think he can just say that he is in legal status and can borrow money in stead of explaining what asylum really means. We are equal to permanent residents in our rights to borrow, aren't we?

I do have a A number and I did put it in my application when I filed for FAFSA and this is how I got approved for half of the loan.

With the bank when you file an application you need to give a copy of your green card then only they consider you a permanent resident.

When I called sallie mae,chase and citibank I told them I am looking for a student loan they asked me if I am a permanent resident I said yes.

I asked them what paper work do you need to get the loan they said a copy of the green card,w-2 and employment history.

When I told them I still haven't received my green card they said they can't do anything with out that.