Stuck in Name Check??? Let's track it

buzzhd said:
regarding Q3, I believe FBI stop sending reply to email inquiry about NC

My bad, that might be true.... I know they stopped in the mid 2005, but then started answering them - it would not suprise me if they stopped again.... You got to love it - such a great customer service!

I have not heard of they sending for information to home country. CIA is supposed to do that. If I understand the Adjudicators manual correctly then even the CIA is not involved. I asked the lady who interviewed me and she said they do not send anything to the home consulate.

Didn't Congressman at least help you to find out when USCIS
sent NC request to FBI, when FBI actually initiated the process,...
and so on ?

tangohi said:
Hi buzzhd,
Thanks for your suggestion . Sorry I disagree.
Yes I am anxious as I do not intend to become a statistic like others. If I wait and wait it will be two and three years and who knows what will happen later on. They may tomorrow decide to impose a PD on spouses. Who knows . This delay may well stretch in eternity and by July it will be one year of NC pending which I think is more than enough time. Those who have been waiting for three or four year have an option of filing a writ of mandamus and if they chose not to that is their decision. Moreover this is not a first in first out process. If you read the forum some people have gotten their NC cleared in one year whole others have been waiting for three years. My filing a writ is not harming anyone. I am seeking a benefit for myself. Those who are waiting are not going to be affected and they are not going to tell me that others have been waiting for three years. If you read other posts you will realize that this is an administrative problem/ red tape in other words and the NC division is a mess. Writ is a way make them act do their job. I thinks those who have been waiting for three four years should take legal action.

The sooner I get a decision the better in my opinion. I can then move on with my life whatever the outcome in that case.

Numerous trips to local office yields nothing. they show me a sheet that NC is pending. As far as lawyer I surely do have one but he has no idea of what to do. Senators and congressman are useless. I have tried them. I am looking for suggestions as to what is a reasonable time of waiting and reasonable effort in my scenario.

compass said:
Oh my God... too bad.... I think marriage based all have 'current' PD.... and actually, I even thought for some reason that they are processed faster than employment-based.... so this is sad information for us...

My case is also marriage-based, and my NC request was sent to FBI 12/03. i guess once stuck in FBI NC everyone is in the same deep sh!@#$%^&*, isn't it? :p

ALL,
Please voice your opinions at the thread
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/s...php?t=77&page=2

I have started the thread to involve folks of the immigration voice.com to acknowledge the Name check as hot issue. There has been very luke warm response from the moderator The forum memebers are not even knowing the issue with the namecheck process. I tried my level best to raise the issue.

The moderator says we may have to contact the number 281-576-7185 to add the "name check" to the list of demands for the immigration reforms . Please voice your concerns on the above thread and call the number and request them to add it to the issues .
That includes you "OK_LA". Please voice your opinion.

Nothing to loose by turning yet another stone....

Last edited by a moderator:
Helo with writ of mandamus

Dear all, I need help, pls help. I have been stuck in FBI name check for over 3 years. I got interviewed for I-485 over an year ago (my US citizen wife sponsored me), but no approval due to name check. Tried everything (senators, writing to USCIS, FBI nothing helped.

Problem is I may need to move for work to another state. Would this further delay my case. CAN I MOVE YET FILE THE WRITE OF MANDAMUS LAW SUIT IN MY PREVIOUS STATE (the state where I initially filed)???

Since the delay is well over 3 yrs and the processing schedule for the state I am in is only a little over 1 year, I think I should file for the writ of Mandamus.

Please advice. THANKS!

I am kind of looking at same answer... I already moved to another state, but still keep previous address and family is still there. If approval will not happen until June, I will have to change the address with INS, I think then they will move files and this will delay the case. Even worse, my spouse may find a job in different state, and my daughter will graduate in June and may end up in another different state! I really do not know what to do in this case, to change address to 3 different addresses??? or pick mine, and hope they just mail all cards there when NC is over...? and I am not sure from where should I file writ of mandamus then...I plan to file it in fall, after we all move somewhere...

Hi Guys,

Does the USCIS initiate the name check after 485 filing or or after Finger Printing or after doing Biometric ?

1. How would I know when was the name check initiated ?
2. Does Name Check report expires ?
3. Do they initiate another Name Check if the name check expired ?

Here is my case:
PD: EB3 India March 2001
485 - Filed in July 2003
FP - Sept 2003
FP2 + Biometric - Dec 15, 2005
AOS Interview: Jan 2006

Interesting case

Hello Everybody!! I had my fingerprinting, code 3, taken on October 2005. I called FBI and they said to me that everything were already sent back to USCIS..They didn't explained to me very well. So, What is the mistery now in not calling me for the interview?? Since my fingerprinting was taken, nothing was changed in my online case. SOme thoughts??

Check this out...... I girl had her AOS interview on January, 2006. She applied 8 months ago and never she received a letter to take her fingerprinting. So, she walked in and got her fingerprinting 1 week before the interview. COnclusion: she was I-485 approved and got stamp in her passport. Question: how works the FBI?? They checked everything in one week? SOme similar case?? I really don't understand... It is very confusion but I don't wan't to be waiting for many years...

Please, in my case what I should do?? I want to be sure if my name was already cleared. How to do it?? I heard about that they are not accepting email anymore..

Thank you very much for the attention and help

Cases in 2005

Some experiences about approved interview and waiting name cleared for applicants in 2005???

My friend applied on Oct 2005 and they just sent a letter to have her Biometric taken for the EAD card. She never received a fingerprinting notification. She will have her AOS interview on April 2006. Faster than me ..sniff...sniff.. She is thinking that she will not having to take the fingerprinting (I don't believe so), because she had 6 months ago when she applied for a professional school. She will got her EAD fingerprinting at the end of Febuary. If she has her fingerprinting for i-485 less than two months of the Interview, do you think she will get the stamp in the passport??

Thank you for helping me

Need help too!!!

adobeaxcess said:
Dear all, I need help, pls help. I have been stuck in FBI name check for over 3 years. I got interviewed for I-485 over an year ago (my US citizen wife sponsored me), but no approval due to name check. Tried everything (senators, writing to USCIS, FBI nothing helped.

Problem is I may need to move for work to another state. Would this further delay my case. CAN I MOVE YET FILE THE WRITE OF MANDAMUS LAW SUIT IN MY PREVIOUS STATE (the state where I initially filed)???

Since the delay is well over 3 yrs and the processing schedule for the state I am in is only a little over 1 year, I think I should file for the writ of Mandamus.

Please advice. THANKS!

I am new to this forum. I am a bit relieved to see that many people share the same grief as I do for the last 4 years. My case is similar to Adobeaxcess (I guess). I married to a USC in 2001 and submitted I-130/I-485 application in Dec. 2001, got interview in 3/2004, pending on name check ever since. I went to USCIS office in Chicago many times and I renewed my EAD and AP every year. They always told me in a sympathtic way that there are many people are stuck in the similar situation. Do you guys think over 4 years a bit too long or is it still normal? My friend applied in Jan, 2001 and got GC in 6/2002.

Need advice from you guys.
Thanks

k1_visa said:
Hello everybody,

Just a Quick Question... If you have a unique First Name and Second Name ( There's nobody in this Planet having your name), you came from a so called " Western country" (.. :confused: ) , and your Name check is not cleared in half a year.

Can you be 100% sure that you are stuck?

Thanks and i wish you a fast approval for everyone! :)

I would really apreciatte if someone could answer and sorry if it 's a dumb question/ Again, all the best for everyone and thanks.

Name Check Cleared. Green Card received in the mail

Hello everyone. Finally I got my green Card in the mail.
For last several months I am a regular reader of this thread and I learnt a lot from this forum,therefore wish to share my experience for the benefit of others.
I and my spouse were interviewed in June 05 and were told that the stamp 551 could not be issued as the FBI clearance was pending. Thereafter we wrote several letters to USCIS and FBI which resulted in NO RESPONSE. After a wait for 4 months we contacted the local congessman who contacted USCIS and he received a prompt reply from USCIS saying that the case was pending for the Name Check and will be completed as soon as it is done.

Waited for 2 more months...called USCIS 1000 times to hear the same irritating answer that the case is in local office and they did not know anything about that.
Approached congessman again and urged his staff to write to congressional office in FBI. To our surpize FBI sent the written response to congressman within a week saying that the case was cleared, and the results were forwarded to USCIS. This was no coincidence. I am pretty sure that they cleared it after the congressman's query.
Thereafter a month passed and nothing happened. We again approached the congressman and asked him to push the USCIS local office. He did, and then we received the Welcome notice in the mail followed by the Green Card.
It is a shame that in this so called hi tech and advanced country , people have to undergo such an agony and pain in waiting for months and years for the name check clearance.
The only advise I can share with the forum is that the congressman is your best source to push your case. If you case is pending beyond a certain time ( say 6 months) I would say that someone is sitting on it and you must agressively follow it up with the congressman. At each step they need congresman's push. ( they do not respond to the applicant at all). The senators do not seem to be interested in immigration matters and therefore congressman is the best bet.
It is said that most of the times the hit received in the name check database is so stupid that it can be resolved within no time. The only problem is no one wants to look at it unless pushed by the congressman.

Last edited by a moderator:
congrats!

Is it an employment based immigration or family based? How long had you been waiting for NC to be cleared? How long had you been waiting for the approval after you approached FBI and CIS?

helponline1 said:
For last several months I am a regular reader of this thread and I learnt a lot from this forum,therefore wish to share my experience for the benefit of others.
Congratulations! And thank you for sharing your experience!

I am also stuck in name check process now. I applied through my USC husband. We had AOS interview in Nov but my case is still pending. Now it has been more than 6 months since USCIS sumit their request to FBI in Aug 2005.

I just found this forum and spend couple of hours everyday to investigate what should I do. Here are things in my mind:
1) send fax to FBI to inquire name check status.
2) ask my friend who works in FBI to call them.
3)I am thinking to write letters to senator, but you said congressman is better. How can I find congressman in my area? And in your letter, what did you say to check my status at FBI? If you could share a sample, that will be the best!
4)If all of above fail, I will try writ of Mandamus, althought I have no idea on this procedure. Anyone could share me a link on how to do writ of mandamus?

Well, that is all I can do. I cannot imagine some of you waited one or two years on name check clearance, I would be insane then :mad: :mad:

miumiu1977 said:
Davidcase123 said:
I am new to this forum.
Geez, I am impatient. I would go crazy in your case. But what can we do? Let's try our best to get the system work!

BTW, all my friends got their GC based on marriage within 8 months. So your case is abnormal!

Congratulations!

I also just got the approval letter from my local office, finally a happy ending of long long dark years!

My question is that how long it takes for you to receive the plastic cards after you received your approval letter?

I just try to gauge the time frame, and see if I need to get the stamps first.

Thanks a lot!

helponline1 said:
I and my spouse were interviewed in June 05 and were told that the stamp 551 could not be issued as the FBI clearance was pending. Thereafter we wrote several letters to USCIS and FBI which resulted in NO RESPONSE. After a wait for 4 months we contacted the local congessman who contacted USCIS and he received a prompt reply from USCIS saying that the case was pending for the Name Check and will be completed as soon as it is done.

Waited for 2 more months...called USCIS 1000 times to hear the same irritating answer that the case is in local office and they did not know anything about that.
Approached congessman again and urged his staff to write to congressional office in FBI. To our surpize FBI sent the written response to congressman within a week saying that the case was cleared, and the results were forwarded to USCIS. This was no coincidence. I am pretty sure that they cleared it after the congressman's query.
Thereafter a month passed and nothing happened. We again approached the congressman and asked him to push the USCIS local office. He did, and then we received the Welcome notice in the mail followed by the Green Card.
It is a shame that in this so called hi tech and advanced country , people have to undergo such an agony and pain in waiting for months and years for the name check clearance.
The only advise I can share with the forum is that the congressman is your best source to push your case. If you case is pending beyond a certain time ( say 6 months) I would say that someone is sitting on it and you must agressively follow it up with the congressman. At each step they need congresman's push. ( they do not respond to the applicant at all). The senators do not seem to be interested in immigration matters and therefore congressman is the best bet.
It is said that most of the times the hit received in the name check database is so stupid that it can be resolved within no time. The only problem is no one wants to look at it unless pushed by the congressman.