Straight forward case (but a couple questions)

DManPeterson

Registered Users (C)
So I asked my now fiance to marry me on October 25th (day after my birthday). Now we are in the process of figuring out all the immigration work to get her a green card so she can go visit home then return to go to school with me. She came here on a J-1 visa from Germany which expired on October 9th. She speaks English great, we have a lot in common, and she is less than one year younger than me. Really no problems there, from everything I read we have a very simple case.

Questions:

1. She ended up leaving the agency she worked for and began to work illegally. While filing the paper work and the interview I know NOT to lie, but she is afraid her previous employers will get in trouble (and me too considering my uncle is one of them). Does the USCIS connect the dots on this and get these people in trouble?

2. She never intended to stay in the U.S. or ever retuning in the future, thus she opted to not pay taxes while she was legally employed by the agency that represented her. I read back taxes are forgiven on marriages through green card, whats the best way to deal with that?

Thank you EVERYONE that responds!!!

1-Unauthorized work is forgiven to spouses of US citizens so she will be fine on that level.
2- I don't know about that, but Im guessing eventually she would have to pay taxes, someone more knowledgeable can help you with this one. Good luck :)

i realize that unathorized work is forgiven, but what about the people that employed her. She doesn't want them to get in trouble

I don't think USCIS will go after them. If they went after everyone who employed unauthorized workers, almost all companies would go bankrupt!

i realize that unathorized work is forgiven, but what about the people that employed her. She doesn't want them to get in trouble

She isn't working for them anymore, so it's very unlikely the authorities will go after them if she is the only person they hired illegally.

However, the fact that she was able to work for them with a J1 shows that the employers weren't checking papers properly, which means it's likely they hired others illegally. But if they hired others illegally, ICE may go after them with or without the knowledge of her employment with them.

She came here on a J-1 visa from Germany which expired on October 9th.
Does that J-1 have a 2-year home country residence requirement?

2. She never intended to stay in the U.S. or ever retuning in the future, thus she opted to not pay taxes while she was legally employed by the agency that represented her. I read back taxes are forgiven on marriages through green card, whats the best way to deal with that?
USCIS may ignore the back taxes and grant the green card, but the IRS will not forgive them! She ultimately will need to file tax returns and pay those back taxes plus interest and penalties, unless her income for those years was so low that she wasn't required to file. If they cannot be paid in a lump sum, she can work out a payment plan with the IRS after filing the tax returns.

The longer she waits to deal with this, the more the penalties and interest will grow. And unpaid overdue taxes are a barrier to obtaining US citizenship; either the back taxes must be paid in full, or there must be a payment plan for which she is making payments according to the terms that were agreed to with the IRS, otherwise citizenship will not be granted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow thank you everyone for your help and information. I figured it would be best to contact the IRS and see what she has to pay. I know she didn't make much money during that time so it HOPEFULLY is very little. As for the J-1 having a 2-year home country residence requirement, I have no idea. If it does how would that affect us?

Again thank you everyone for your help, this place is amazing!

In her case, GERMANY is not on the J-1 Skills List so, she id not subject to the 2 year requirement of INA 212(e), therefore, may adjust under INA 245(a). As for the employer's problem, that is an issue for ICE, not USCIS and anyway, the situation does not appear to even be a LOW priority for ICE.

For others who may be interested:

INA 212

(e) No person admitted under section 101(a)(15)(J) or acquiring such status after admission (i) whose participation in the program for which he came to the United States was financed in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, by an agency of the Government of the United States or by the government of the country of his nationality or his last residence, (ii) who at the time of admission or acquisition of status under section 101(a)(15)(J) was a national or resident of a country which the Director of the United States Information Agency pursuant to regulations prescribed by him, had designated as clearly requiring the services of persons engaged in the field of specialized knowledge or skill in which the alien was engaged, or (iii) who came to the United States or acquired such status in order to receive graduate medical education or training, shall be eligible to apply for an immigrant visa, or for permanent residence, or for a nonimmigrant visa under section 101(a)(15)(H) or section 101(a)(15)(L) until it is established that such person has resided and been physically present in the country of his nationality or his last residence for an aggregate of a least two years following departure from the United States: Provided, That upon the favorable recommendation of the Director, pursuant to the request of an interested United States Government agency (or, in the case of an alien described in clause (iii), pursuant to the request of a State Department of Public Health, or its equivalent), or of the Commissioner of Immigration and Naturalization after he has determined that departure from the United States would impose exceptional hardship upon the alien's spouse or child (if such spouse or child is a citizen of the United States or a lawfully resident alien), or that the alien cannot return to the country of his nationality or last residence because he would be subject to persecution on account of race, religion, or political opinion, the Attorney General may waive the requirement of such two-year foreign residence abroad in the case of any alien whose admission to the United States is found by the Attorney General to be in the public interest except that in the case of a waiver requested by a State Department of Public Health, or its equivalent, or in the case of a waiver requested by an interested United States government agency on behalf of an alien described in clause (iii), the waiver shall be subject to the requirements of section 214(l): And provided further, That, except in the case of an alien described in clause (iii), the Attorney General may, upon the favorable recommendation of the Director, waive such two-year foreign residence requirement in any case in which the foreign country of the alien's nationality or last residence has furnished the Director a statement in writing that it has no objection to such waiver in the case of such alien.

The waiver application is found at: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/info/info_1296.html and can ONLY be done online.

The following FROM: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1267.html

Two-Year Home-Country Physical Presence (Foreign Residence) Requirement
When you agree to participate in an Exchange Visitor Program and your program falls under the conditions explained below, you will be subject to the two-year home-country physical presence (foreign residence) requirement. This means you will be required to return to your home country for two years at the end of your exchange visitor program. This requirement under immigration law is based on Section 212(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, as amended, and Title 22 Part 40 and Part 41 in the Code of Federal Regulations.

Two-year Home-Country Physical Presence Requirement Conditions - An exchange visitor is subject to the two-year home country physical presence requirement if the following conditions exist:

Government funded exchange program - The program in which the exchange visitor was participating was financed in whole or in part directly or indirectly by the U.S. government or the government of the exchange visitor's nationality or last residence;
Graduate medical education or training - The exchange visitor entered the U.S. to receive graduate medical education or training;
Specialized knowledge or skill: Skills List - The exchange visitor is a national or permanent resident of a country which has deemed the field of specialized knowledge or skill necessary to the development of the country, as shown on the Exchange Visitor Skills List. Review the Exchange Visitor Skills List 2009.
Change of Status and Waivers of Requirement - If the exchange visitor is subject to the two-year home-country physical presence (foreign residence) requirement, he or she cannot change his/her status to that of H, L, K, or immigrant lawful permanent resident (LPR) until he or she has returned to his/her home country for at least two-years or received a waiver of that requirement. Such waivers may be requested and if approved, obtained under these five separate bases:

No Objection Statement;
Exceptional Hardship;
Persecution;
Conrad Program, or
Interested Government Agency
For information about waivers, eligibility and process, see Waiver of the J Visa Two-Year Foreign Residence Requirement 212(e).

The longer she waits to deal with this, the more the penalties and interest will grow.

I seem to recall there a ceiling on the fine which is 25% of the total tax due plus penalty fees. I doubt it grows every year, decade after decade.

I seem to recall there a ceiling on the fine which is 25% of the total tax due plus penalty fees. I doubt it grows every year, decade after decade.

Part of it is capped at 25%, part can grow without limits.

http://taxes.about.com/od/backtaxes/qt/irs_tax_penalty.htm

Failure to File Penalty
The failure-to-file penalty is calculated based on the time from the deadline of your tax return (including extensions) to the date you actually filed your tax return. The penalty is 5% for each month the tax return is late, up to a total maximum penalty of 25%. The percentage is of the tax due as shown on the tax return. If your tax return is more than five months late, simply multiply your balance due by 25% to calculate your failure to file penalty.

Failure to Pay Penalty
The failure-to-pay penalty is calculated based on the amount of tax you owe. The penalty is 0.5% for each month the tax is not paid in full. There is no maximum limit to the failure-to-pay penalty. The penalty is calculated from the original payment deadline (the original April 15th filing deadline) until the balance due is paid in full.

Interest
Interest is calculated based on how much tax you owe. Interest rates change every three months. Currently, the IRS interest rate for underpayment of tax is 4% per year. The interest is calculated for each day your balance due is not paid in full.

As for the J-1 having a 2-year home country residence requirement, I have no idea. If it does how would that affect us?

Look at her visa and associated paperwork. It should have a notation saying if she is subject to that requirement or not. If she is, it means she would have to live 2 years in her home country before being eligible for a green card or most work visas, unless she gets a waiver.

Ok, so her visa doesn't have the 2-year requirement on it. The only thing to situate before we get married is the tax situation I guess.

Thank you everyone, this helped so much, Now I just have to read a bunch, and get prepared to file.

Go Giants!