Stimulus Payment-only for residents/citizens!

BMORE HOPEFUL

Registered Users (C)
Well this is the message I got after visiting the IRS where is my stimulus check link today:

"You did not qualify for the Stimulus payment because you filed a Form 1040NR, Form 1040PR, or Form 1040SS. These returns are normally filed by Nonresident Aliens, residents of Puerto Rico and residents of the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. Residents of U.S. possessions will be receiving their payments directly from the possessions."

I got my tax return just fine but no stimulus check for me :eek::(......just thought I would share.

Are you non-resident? Are you residing out of US?
I'm on H1, my wife on EAD and we got $1200 today ;-)

That's because you are legal residents and both have SSN's (TIN's won't cut it) and you probably filed a regular 1040.

For anyone that still has a TIN but will have a SSN but the time they file next year, you can still get the stimulus, it will just be later than the rest of us. And everyone that is on your tax return must have a SSN to be counted. Even kids need to have a SSN.

Are they giving out the Stimulus payments again next year? I thought these were just a once off payment....?

Dryheat, when you checked your account and saw that they deposited the money, What does show on the description of transaction, refund or stimulus payment, thanks

Dryheat, when you checked your account and saw that they deposited the money, What does show on the description of transaction, refund or stimulus payment, thanks

Yes Dry heat- what did it say- stimulus or refund- bacause as i said i recieved my Tax returns just fine but no stimulus.

NOW: there is a part somewhere in your taxes which asks your legal status- i.e citizen, PR, ETC......when the tax person reached it they automatically just selected CITIZEN...I luckily saw it before she moved on- interjected- and that lead to a host of other information being needed.
But needless to say lying - or pleeding ignorance -will no doubt catch up with you since as we know our taxes are scrutinised for the AOS process.

I was not aware that illegal residents file for tax return :D

Yah, yah, yah... so I worded it wrong! :D In reality, there are many illegals that file taxes believe it or not. Some that come over and get real SSN's but overstay and work illegally but still pay taxes. But that's for another discussion...

"A one off" - Yes and No. Yes it's a one off thing, but it's an advance on your 2008 return that you do in 2009. They are giving the payment now based on your 2007 return information and if things change when you file your 2008 return the following can happen:

1) You didn't qualify based on 2007 return but you do with 2008 -> You will get it as part of your tax return next year.

2) You qualified based on 2007 but not based on 2008 -> you get it now and they WILL NOT try to get it back - it's like a bonus!

3) You qualify for x dollars now, but when you file 2008 you qualify for more - > you will get the rest of what you qualify for with your 2008 return.

4) You qualify for x dollars now, but when you file for 2008 you qualify for less - > you get to keep it and WILL NOT have to pay it back - it's like a bonus!

NOW: there is a part somewhere in your taxes which asks your legal status- i.e citizen, PR, ETC......

Not on the 1040 form - maybe on the 1040NR. And if you are a legal resident (even if you're on a TN or H1B) you can file the 1040.

From the IRS website:
You won’t get a stimulus payment in 2008, if any of the following apply to you:

You don’t file a 2007 tax return.
Your net income tax liability is zero and your qualifying income is less than $3,000. To determine your qualifying income, add together your wages, net self-employment income, nontaxable combat pay, Social Security benefits, certain Railroad Retirement benefits and certain veterans’ payments.
You can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return (whether or not you actually are claimed as a dependent on someone else's return). For example, this would include a child or student who can be claimed on a parent’s return. [Updated 4/15/08]
You do not have a valid Social Security Number.
You are a nonresident alien.
You file Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ, Form 1040PR or Form 1040SS for 2007.

Again - you MUST have a valid SSN too!

did you file 1040NR?

Not on the 1040 form - maybe on the 1040NR. And if you are a legal resident (even if you're on a TN or H1B) you can file the 1040.

From the IRS website:

Again - you MUST have a valid SSN too![/QUOTE

Tnguy i am confused abit- I am not a permenant resident nor a citizen- so i had to do a 1040NR - i.e a 1040 for NonResidents- I had work authorization to work and a valid soial but at the end of the day I am what I am.........:confused:

Which form do you guys all use?

From the IRS website:

Again - you MUST have a valid SSN too![/QUOTE

Tnguy i am confused abit- I am not a permenant resident nor a citizen- so i had to do a 1040NR - i.e a 1040 for NonResidents- I had work authorization to work and a valid soial but at the end of the day I am what I am.........:confused:

If you have lived in the States for 5 years or more, you could file 1040 instead of 1040NR. I have filed 1040 for the last 3 or 4 years, and I just got my Stimulus payment:)

If you are a legal resident - whether permanent or not, you can file a 1040. I filed a 1040 right from the first year I was in the US.

From the 1040NR instructions:
Generally, you are considered a resident alien if you meet either the green card test or the substantial presence test for 2007

GREEN CARD TEST: You are a resident for tax purposes if you were a lawful permanent resident (immigrant) of the United States at any time during 2007.
I did not qualify for this test.

SUBSTANTIAL PRESENCE TEST: You qualify if you meet you physically present in the US for 1) 31 days in 2007 AND 2) 183 days in 2007, 2006 and 2005 where 2006 days are counted as 1/3 days and 2005 days are counted as 1/6 days.
This means that if you were physically present in the US for at least half the year, you can be considered a resident and can file 1040. Providing you were not considered to have a tax home in a foreign country in 2007 and some other conditions.

General speaking, if you were here for more than half the year in 2007 and you were not taxed in another country as if you were still a resident of that country, then you qualify for 1040. When I came from Canada, I filed in Canada to be considered a Non-Resident of Canada and since I was here for more than 183 days I became a resident of the US - even though by definition of the work visa I was only a temporary resident.

Does that clear it up?

If you are a legal resident - whether permanent or not, you can file a 1040. I filed a 1040 right from the first year I was in the US.

From the 1040NR instructions:

I did not qualify for this test.

This means that if you were physically present in the US for at least half the year, you can be considered a resident and can file 1040. Providing you were not considered to have a tax home in a foreign country in 2007 and some other conditions.

General speaking, if you were here for more than half the year in 2007 and you were not taxed in another country as if you were still a resident of that country, then you qualify for 1040. When I came from Canada, I filed in Canada to be considered a Non-Resident of Canada and since I was here for more than 183 days I became a resident of the US - even though by definition of the work visa I was only a temporary resident.

Does that clear it up?

Yes sir- now i understand :)