Steps to Expedite RTD Processing

wantmygcnow

Volunteer Moderator
My sister who is a PR(as an asylee) tried to get a German Visa(on NP) but was declined since she went on a RTD before. Since she was going for a wedding on the 1st of July, We tried to expedite her RTD application and today she got the RTD. Here is what she did:

1)Filed I-131 RTD with Nebraska Service Center..
2)Attached a Wedding Invitation and also a letter stating the importance of the wedding(her cousin)
3)Included a pre-paid self-addressed envelope.
4)Sent it to the I-131 address with the heading ATTENTION:EXPEDITED SERVICE REQUESTED
5)Sent a letter to Senator Allen & Warner of Virginia(where she resides) including a waiver form that they can pursue her application.

Once she got a receipt number, she faxed the same thing again to the following fax number:

Nebraska Service Center
Expedited Processing
1-402-219-6171

Hope this helps. If you have a medical emergency, a "CERTIFICATE OF MEDICAL ILLNESS" will get you a RTD in 2 business days according to the senator's office.

wantmygcnow said:
My sister who is a PR(as an asylee) tried to get a German Visa(on NP) but was declined since she went on a RTD before. Since she was going for a wedding on the 1st of July, We tried to expedite her RTD application and today she got the RTD. Here is what she did:

2)Attached a Wedding Invitation and also a letter stating the importance of the wedding(her cousin)
4)Sent it to the I-131 address with the heading ATTENTION:EXPEDITED SERVICE REQUESTED
5)Sent a letter to Senator Allen & Warner of Virginia(where she resides) including a waiver form that they can pursue her application.

Once she got a receipt number, she faxed the same thing again to the following fax number:

Nebraska Service Center
Expedited Processing
1-402-219-6171

Hope this helps. If you have a medical emergency, a "CERTIFICATE OF MEDICAL ILLNESS" will get you a RTD in 2 business days according to the senator's office.

Thanks want! This piece of info is very helpful..

I am glad that they are actually opening the "expedite request". I thought such words don't ever exist in their dictionary.

windywd said:
I am glad that they are actually opening the "expedite request". I thought such words don't ever exist in their dictionary.

Up untill a couple of years ago, you could actually fly to Lincoln and go to their office. I did it back around 2001. They actually have a reception where you can talk to someone and give them your docs. I remember that they were located next to a post office where I went to get th emoney order. They asked me to come back in the afternoon, and my document was ready!

Need a help please

I am an Asylee since 2005 , I came to this country on 2003 with a fake passport . Today I want to travel out side the US not to my cop, but just to see my sister in a 3rd country .
My question is: after having a RTD and leave the country, upon my return do u think I will be denied the admession to US because, originally I entred with a fake passport?
I red in a lot of legal web sites and it say the IO at the airport goes through all your immigartion history.

Please any body there in simmilar situation who traveled out side the US? thank you .

king27 said:
I am an Asylee since 2005 , I came to this country on 2003 with a fake passport . Today I want to travel out side the US not to my cop, but just to see my sister in a 3rd country .
My question is: after having a RTD and leave the country, upon my return do u think I will be denied the admession to US because, originally I entred with a fake passport?
I red in a lot of legal web sites and it say the IO at the airport goes through all your immigartion history.

Please any body there in simmilar situation who traveled out side the US? thank you .

Didn't the INS know about this before granting you asylum? I do not think you will have any problme, after all you fled your COP w/fake passport b/c you could not get out any other way right?

bringslite said:
Didn't the INS know about this before granting you asylum? I do not think you will have any problme, after all you fled your COP w/fake passport b/c you could not get out any other way right?

YES YOU ARE RIGHT, BUT REMEMBER I WENT TO THE COURT AND INS TRIED TO KICK ME OUT OF THE COUNTRY .SO INS WAS NOT HAPPY THAT THE IJ GRANTED ME THE ASYLUM. INS TRIED TO DO THEIR BEST TO SHOW THAT I DIDN`T DESERVE THE ASYLUM .THEY EVEN LIED TO THE IJ.

PS: WHEN I SAY INS I MEAN THE TRIAL ATTORNEY

Last edited by a moderator:
cover letter sample for expedited RTD

I am GC holder based on asylum. We have to visit Australia in early April,2007. I applied for a RTD because I don't want to use my NP. Now, I learned from this forum that we can apply for an expedited RTD.

Does someone has a format of the cover letter to write to the USCIS to make a request for expedited processing? Your reply will be greatly appreciated. :rolleyes:

Expediting RTD

I applied to my RTD in October and am traveling on feb 8 so in the beginning of January i sent a letter to USCIS asking them to expedite my RTD. My advice is that, if you already applied, you should WAIT a little longer if your trip to Australia is in April. As "wantmygcnow" mentioned on a thread here, Australia requires a visa and "...are the nicest people and they treat RTD like royality. THe Visa's
are issued in 1 week. No health insurance needed but sufficient proof of funds needed."

So you should inquire about your RTD by the end of February. Schedule an Info Pass to speak with an Immigration Officer, bring all your travel plans like tickets, hotel reservation, etc. Go on the Australian Consulate's website and print a page that states that RTDs need a visa, or ask them the question by email and have it answered then take the email.

The IO will probably ask you to mail all of that to NSC to "Expedited Service", but it's good if he sends a message from your local office too. I did this, waited and hwen I perceived that I could not get my RTD on time to get a visa and travel, I sent them my stuff and requested expedite. Got the RTD in 2 weeks. However, I think that if you request expedite svc too much in advance of your trip, they may not consider.

Help

I received my RP a year ago and had mistake in my birthday. Can I ask about expedited Service now because I want to return it? (It still has 1 year of validity)
What's the exact address for Expedited Service?
I appreciate any help.

Nebraska Service Center
Expedited Processing
1-402-219-6171

dear want :
i need to go to japan aug 1 , an emergency trip, my RP will expire nov 2007,

to get japanese visa, my RP should be valid 6 months fro the date you apply for visa,

i need to apply for new one immediately, my question is step 5, how to get waiver form,

thank you

dear want :
i need to go to japan aug 1 , an emergency trip, my RP will expire nov 2007,

to get japanese visa, my RP should be valid 6 months fro the date you apply for visa,

i need to apply for new one immediately, my question is step 5, how to get waiver form,

thank you

Go to the your senator's web page and look for it there. It is usually a part of the assistance request form.

what are the reasons one can give for travelling on RTD? I have someone who is sick on and off am afraid he might die without me seeing her ever.another is i have missed my relations so badly two of them have passed away since we lastly met,i want to visit them,this is not in my country of persecution anyways,any good travel reasons ??please that will be greatly appreciated.I just have a confused mind with so many reasons dont know which one weighs more.thanks

Just an update to my previous year's post about travelling to Nebraska. Apparently they no longer do that. I just learned this the hatd way after travelling there last week. The lobby security, however, handed me a paper that has instructions on what to do to request a face-to-face meeting at the Nebraska center (needs to be done in advanced, and if approved they would send you a letter with the appointment time).

I called the 800 # and spoke w/an IO, who logged my request for an Expedited TD. Said I should know in 5 days if they consider my case to be an emergency. I also went ahead and mailed the NSC copies of my receipt, plane ticket, and other docs to show my emergency along with a return, stamped, self-addressed express mail envelope.

Will keep you posted as to the outcome.

Please pray for me:)

Clarifications

Hi Wantmygreencard, and anyone with 411,

I am in the process of applying for my first (re-entry permit, I will be attending my sister's wedding in Europe. I have a couple of clarifications from your sticky- btw, thats a great sticky.

2)Attached a Wedding Invitation and also a letter stating the importance of the wedding(her cousin) Did you attach a copy of the wedding card? or just an invitation letter?
3)Included a pre-paid self-addressed envelope. Was the prepay for the return of the Travel document for your sister?

Approximately how long did processing take place? My sister gets married end of June, but i figured that because I have to get fingerprinted, it would be ok to request expedite the first week of May, what are your thoughts? I will also be sending a note to my Senator to followup.

Anyone know if Paris, Luxembourg and Denmark need Visa? in addition to travel document? Thanks guys!

So you should inquire about your RTD by the end of February. Schedule an Info Pass to speak with an Immigration Officer, bring all your travel plans like tickets, hotel reservation, etc. Go on the Australian Consulate's website and print a page that states that RTDs need a visa, or ask them the question by email and have it answered then take the email.