Steps involved?

asafbu

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I am a US citizen and trying to find out what is process of bringing a foreign spouse to US. I was told apply for K3 visa. Can someone please provide some details on:

- what are the different forms that I have to file in (in sequence)
- How long does it take in each step - looking for ball park estimate

My wife to be is going to be applying from Islamabad, Pakistan.

Thanks
Asad

Assuming you have an I-130 already in the works, you file an I-129F to get the K-3 started. You are looking at 6 to 8 months.

- what are the different forms that I have to file in (in sequence)
- How long does it take in each step - looking for ball park estimate

So, the main difference in K3 and CR1/IR1 is that in K3 it takes less time but you dont land in POE as an immigrant?

Here's the step by step guide for filing a K3
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=k3guide

However, the K3 is no longer seen as the best route to bring a spouse over to the US due to its expense and lack of benefits compared to its alternative visa......the CR1/IR1.

Here's the CR1/IR1 step by step guide.....this is by far the better visa.
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=i130guide1

No, I havent yet started the process. So, I-130 comes first or can one apply for I-129F while I-130 is in process? how long does that take? Also, are there ways to bring in your spouse for a visit visa while the K3 processing is going on?

Thank you!

Assuming you have an I-130 already in the works, you file an I-129F to get the K-3 started. You are looking at 6 to 8 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
K3 has been 'historically' quicker than CR1/IR1, though recently, there really hasnt been that much difference between the 2.

The main difference between the 2 is the cost and the time it takes to become a GC holder. K3 costs more money than CR/IR1 when AOS to GC holder is factored into it, and obviously, you then have the approx 8 month wait/more paper work to deal with to get the GC. For less paperwork, less money, and a quicker GC, I personally think the CR1/IR1 is the way to go. (yes, one becomes a permanent resident at POE when entering on a CR1/IR1).

Also, are there ways to bring in your spouse for a visit visa while the K3 processing is going on?

Thank you!

Of course you can 'apply' for a B1/2 (I forget the difference) visitors visa, though the likelihood that she would get it would be incredibly slim.......B1/2 visitor applicants have to prove that they have no immigrant intent, though this goes straight out of the window once a spousal visa is in process as this clearly shows future immigrant intent. Some people HAVE applied for tourist visas and been approved, though just prepare yourself for the possibility of denial should you decide to apply.

Does the spouse already have a multiple entry B-2 visa? If so, a visit may be attempted. Just bear in mind that entry may be refused at the POE. I visited my fiancee' while my K-1 was in process and even after my K-1 was issued (without using the K-1 visa). However I had the luxury of being a Canadian citizen.

Also, are there ways to bring in your spouse for a visit visa while the K3 processing is going on?