Step by step instructions on filling up N400, name, employer location, traffic ticket and more

jefkorn

Registered Users (C)
A very useful link for filling up the N-400 form and it has line by line instructions:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/filling-out-uscis-form-n-400.html

I would love to hear your thoughts on few questions that I have in mind. Thanks

For the sake of this post, assume my name is John Al Smith

Part 1. Your Name
Question B. Your name just as it appears on your Permanent Resident Card.

On my green card my full name appears as John A Smith. USCIS has chosen to use A insteald of Al. On the I-485 approval notice, the name appears as John A. Smith (notice the dot(.) after A indicating that it's been abbreviated. But on the physical green card , it's without the dot and simply appears as A.

The question (Part 1: Question B) asks for full middle name as it appears on green card so I would guess I have to enter A and not Al or A.?

Question C. If you have ever used other names, you will have a chance to enter them below.

In the beginning of my immigration journey, trying to make sure that my name appears as it should, I have some times used "John Al" in the first name (given name) fields on some older H1 applications and Smith as the last name. In other cases, I may have used "Al Smith" as the last name and "John" as the first name. But in the end if you were to provide full name it would always end up being "John Al Smith". I don't think I have ever provided this variation in names in my I-485 or more recent immigration filings.

Should it be brought up now on N-400 form or just use what I have used in the older immigration forms as far as the other names used is concerned?

Part 6. Information About Your Residence and Employment
Question B: Where have you worked? (paraphrasing of course)

The applicant was employed by a consulting company and was working at a client site while the AOS (adjustment of status) was approved. The applicant still works at the same client but is now employed by the client as full time employee. The consulting firm is located in a different state.

Should I break up the duration by employment relationship and address? For example:

Employer Name | Location | From/To Dates | Occupation

Consulting Company Inc | 10 Fake St., NY | 12/01/2001 - 12/01/2005 | Software Engineer
Current Employer Inc | 20 Second St., CA | 12/01/2005 - To Date | Software Engineer

Part 10. Additional Questions
Question 16: Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer...?

I have two traffic tickets, both under $100. I paid both and there was no DUI or arrest. How should I fill up the details if I answered Yes to any of the questions 15 through 21?

I'm looking for sample wording. Should it be "traffic ticket paid" and then attach the proof of payment obtained through driving history? For one of the tickets, I went to court and as far as I remember I may have plead guily and simply paid the court processing fee. I can get the court doc for the payment as well.

1B) Exactly as it is on the green card, even if it's entirely incorrect like "Mickey D Mouse".
C) If in doubt about any other name(s), write the other name(s) there. Any name you don't list can cause a delay if USCIS discovers it later.
6b) write the consulting company's address for the time you were employed as a consultant.

I'm looking for sample wording. Should it be "traffic ticket paid" and then attach the proof of payment obtained through driving history?
Yes, but don't attach proof of payment or court paperwork, bring it to the interview. Since they were under $500 with no arrest or DUI, the proof probably won't be requested.

Thanks for your response. I feel like saying how does it feel to be a newly minted USC. Good wishes for anything down the road.

Yeah what you say makes sense about name on the GC..as they may use that to match and pull records out of the their GC database.

On the names, I was wondering more on the lines of " I haven't provided them as part of the AOS application process and in any other immigration forms where it asks about "other names used" so was wondering if this could raise a red flag that why on N-400 application now and not in any other previous immig. or other records?

At the back of my mind, also thinking that will trigger multiple name checks (the dreaded phase, I was delayed and had to file WOM - Writ of Mandamus to get USCIS to adjudicate my AOS application, see this post for my active participation back then). Frankly I don't mind giving them few variations of the names that may have gotten into their system throughout the years.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the spirit of sharing useful information on how to go about filling up the N400 form, here are some resources that you will find very useful:

CIS Adjudicator's Field Manual, Chapter 74. This chapter is informative in that it provides instructions from the CIS to its adjudicators as to how to question applicants concerning each section of form N-400.

Link: http://imminfo.com/Library/citizenship/nats-step-by-step.html

Important Issues Regarding Naturlization Process

Link:http://www.imminfo.com/Library/citizenship/naturalization.html

Citizenship for Us: A Handbook on Naturalization & Citizenship 6th Edition

Link: http://cliniclegal.org/resources/citizenship-us-handbook

CHAPTER FOUR: Filling out the N-400 from Citizenship for Us: A Handbook on Naturalization & Citizenship 6th Edition

Link: http://cliniclegal.org/sites/default/files/231718_CLINIC_04.pdf

About selective sevice registration, I was in a non-immigrant visa (H1B) status on entry to US and also until my 26th birthday which means I was not required to register for it.

Should I still get a online status report and attach it to the N400 and take it to the eventual interview?

https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfVerification.aspx

Thanks

About selective sevice registration, I was in a non-immigrant visa (H1B) status on entry to US and also until my 26th birthday which means I was not required to register for it.

Should I still get a online status report and attach it to the N400 and take it to the eventual interview?

No.

In addition to having H1B status until age 26, you presumably are at least 31 years old now which means they'll probably skip over the Selective Service question in the interview.

Thank you very kind sir, so looks like I don't need to provide anything or take anything for failure to register as I wasn't subject to registration. I assume the immigration status (non-immigrant - H1B during the eligible age bracket) should be in the A file or other immigration records available to interviewing/adjudicating officer.

Regarding other names used section, I looked at my older H1B docs and in the filing documents (I think it was I129 ... can't remember the form name), I see following variations:

Full Name: John Al Smith
Employer 1
First Name: John Al
Middle Name:
Last Name: Smith

Employer 2
First Name: John
Middle Name:
Last Name: Al Smith

Employer 3
First Name: John
Middle Name:Al
Last Name: Smith

In the I-485 there's no section about "Other Names Used" but there's one on G -325A (Biographic info) and I entered N/A.

If I provide all the name variations on N-400 now, it will be the first time providing the variations, is that ok? What do you think?

Looking at I-485 form that I filed, I didn't answer yes to the question "Have you ever been cited, arrested..." I did have traffic tickets before filing for AOS but didn't know (not even the slightest idea that I COULD answer YES to that).

Now when preparing the N400, planning to say YES to question # 15 (Have you ever been cited, arrested...), hopefully it won't be a problem that I didn't disclose it at the time of applying for AOS.

The traffic tickets were under $100, non-DUI, no arrest, motor vehicle department records available to prove that tickets paid.

follow-up question on name

For the sake of this question, let's assume my name is John Albert Smith.

I have a pre-2010 green card. The first line of my green card says
NAME SMITH, JOHN A

The last line of the green card (part of the machine readable code) reads
SMITH<<JOHN<ALBERT<<<<

So, is my name exactly as it appears on the green card 'SMITH JOHN A' or 'SMITH JOHN ALBERT'?

I checked my birth certificate and my passport, neither list my middle name, so I have not listed my middle name in Part 1.A. of the N-400 (current legal name)

So do I.

1. list my name as it appears on the green card as 'SMITH JOHN A' in part 1.B. and list 'other' names as 'SMITH JOHN ALBERT' in part 1.C

OR

2. list 'SMITH JOHN ALBERT' in part 1.B and nothing in part 1.C?

Sorry for hijacking your thread jefkorn, but hopefully this'll help other readers as well.

Thank you.

Hey no worries. You are right. My GC also reads the same way. So the upper part has the abbreviated middle name and the part with the weird >>>> characters at the bottom of the GC has the full middle name. Looks like some sort of algorithm they use to embed the complete middle name in the machien redable part >>>> but on the human readable part, it's the one letter middle name (abbreviate form).

"Name as displayed on the green card" refers to the part that is meant for human reading, not the machine-readable section.

If I provide all the name variations on N-400 now, it will be the first time providing the variations, is that ok? What do you think?
If they decide to dig into your history to the extent of looking at name variations on your H1Bs, they'll find those name variations anyway. And if you don't list them on your N-400, but USCIS finds them in your file, you'll have more problems than if you do list them.

Looking at I-485 form that I filed, I didn't answer yes to the question "Have you ever been cited, arrested..." I did have traffic tickets before filing for AOS but didn't know (not even the slightest idea that I COULD answer YES to that).
That I-485 question specifically says "excluding traffic violations", but the N-400 question doesn't have that exclusion. So if your only offenses were traffic violations, it would be correct to answer NO on the I-485 but YES on the N-400.

Thanks for your response. You have been very helpful. I hope this thread will clarify few confusing areas for others too. That's why I will keep sharing my findings on helpful resources whev I find them and also share my questions or tips on filling up the N400 form.

If they decide to dig into your history to the extent of looking at name variations on your H1Bs, they'll find those name variations anyway. And if you don't list them on your N-400, but USCIS finds them in your file, you'll have more problems than if you do list them.

Listing them seems to be the thing to do then.

That I-485 question specifically says "excluding traffic violations", but the N-400 question doesn't have that exclusion. So if your only offenses were traffic violations, it would be correct to answer NO on the I-485 but YES on the N-400.

You are right. I didn't catch that. So I answered that right at the time if filing I-485.

Now couldn't they provide a little screenshot :) In my dealing with non-IT people at work, I provide all kinds of annotated screenshots to avoid any misunderstandings. Thanks for your input.

If one wanted to be nit picky, the machine readable part is also "displayed" on the card. If you don't mind asking me, have you read this somewhere that it's the non-machine readable part? Not arguing on this but trying to see if you are using common sense or some sort of official position from USCIS?

"Name as displayed on the green card" refers to the part that is meant for human reading, not the machine-readable section.

If one wanted to be nit picky, the machine readable part is also "displayed" on the card. If you don't mind asking me, have you read this somewhere that it's the non-machine readable part? Not arguing on this but trying to see if you are using common sense or some sort of official position from USCIS?

I can't remember exactly where I read it. It might have been in the Adjudicator's online manual.

It's also common sense. Note that the newer green cards (starting in 2010, I think) have the machine-readable section on the back of the card. It would be really strange if they expected you to list the name that was on the back of the card embedded in the machine-readable gibberish instead of the more visible name on the front.

Another related question to the name of the consulting company (call it A Co). I was employed by consulting company A which was later acquired or you could say merged into a new consulting company (call it B Co).

My H1 was initiated by A Co. of course B Co. assumed all responsibilities including employees and their H1 and continued the green card process as Co B. It were actually same individuals who decided that they needed a new business entity so I didn't reallly switch from A Co to B Co but I did receive paychecks from A Co until they became B Co.

Hope that makes sense.

When I received my GC I was employed under Co B.

What should I write in the empployer name and address? Should I break down into two entries Co A and Co B?

My start of employment with B Co. goes beyond 5 years, should I put in the cut off at 5 years back for Co B? Since form only asks for who I worked for last five years. My orig. start date say 02/03/2004 but should I calculate 5 years from today and use that as the start date (Use 08/25/2008 instead).

1B)
6b) write the consulting company's address for the time you were employed as a consultant.

Part 10: B: Affiliations

I was memeber of IEEE (Institure of electrical and electronic engineers), should I mentioned simply IEEE or the whole expanded name? I gave a list of affiliations as part of I485 and it was all simply abbreviated forms, IEEE, AAA etc. There was a place I think on I485 that asked what kind of organizations were they and other membership details (duration of membership etc) but N400 dimply asks for names.

Trying to come up with the wording for disclosing traffic tickets. Is it "Traffic ticket" and then in the outcome column "$30 Fine paid, no arrest and no DUI"?

My start of employment with B Co. goes beyond 5 years, should I put in the cut off at 5 years back for Co B? Since form only asks for who I worked for last five years. My orig. start date say 02/03/2004 but should I calculate 5 years from today and use that as the start date (Use 08/25/2008 instead).

It doesn't matter. Just don't write company A, since your employment with A was more than 5 years ago.

I was memeber of IEEE (Institure of electrical and electronic engineers), should I mentioned simply IEEE or the whole expanded name? I gave a list of affiliations as part of I485 and it was all simply abbreviated forms, IEEE, AAA etc.

Abbreviations are usually OK, but that creates the small risk that they'll ask for the full name if they don't recognize the abbreviation, which would delay your case if that request is after the interview. So list the full names to be safe.

I think that might have caused some confusion. so here it's again. Company X was my employer at the time of getting my GC. I was employed with that same employer under name "Employer X" long before I got my GC. The From Date of employment for the purpose of N400, should it be start of the when I got GC because that was five years ago or should it be actual start of employment way back which is more than five years ago...I'm sorry if it's confusing.. I will try to clarify again if it's not clear.

It doesn't matter. Just don't write company A, since your employment with A was more than 5 years ago.

Some of the organizations are faith based and I didn't use the full name even at the time of I485. I however did mention what they are about. If you think it's being paranoid, read this latest article:

http://www.cyrusmehta.com/news.aspx?SubIdx=ocyrus201382671627

I can't believe this was/is happening all along behind the scenes!

Abbreviations are usually OK, but that creates the small risk that they'll ask for the full name if they don't recognize the abbreviation, which would delay your case if that request is after the interview. So list the full names to be safe.

What do you think about the wording on the traffic tickets and should I attach separate sheet at all to explain..the tikets are nothing serious and more than 10 years old. I was thinking simply put the dates and then something to the effect of "paid, fine $30" See payment receipt? I guess no need to attach the payment receipt, save it for interview in case I get asked.

I think that might have caused some confusion. so here it's again. Company X was my employer at the time of getting my GC. I was employed with that same employer under name "Employer X" long before I got my GC. The From Date of employment for the purpose of N400, should it be start of the when I got GC because that was five years ago or should it be actual start of employment way back which is more than five years ago...I'm sorry if it's confusing.. I will try to clarify again if it's not clear.
It doesn't matter. Write 5 years ago or write the date you started. Nobody gets into problems with either, and neither interpretation is lying.