Stay out of USA

Peachtree

My dependent father who is 74 years old went to India for a period of more then six months but less then one year, is applying for US citizenship. My question is:

1) How will this absence be treated for eligibility purpose.
2) What kind of explanation/documentation should be sent along with Form N-400

He is not earning and does not file any tax returns, I am responsible for all is board and lodging as such he does not pay any rent or mortgage.
Any help will be appreciated.:)

My dependent father who is 74 years old went to India for a period of more then six months but less then one year, is applying for US citizenship. My question is:

1) How will this absence be treated for eligibility purpose.
2) What kind of explanation/documentation should be sent along with Form N-400

He is not earning and does not file any tax returns, I am responsible for all is board and lodging as such he does not pay any rent or mortgage.
Any help will be appreciated.:)

There is no need to include any tax return with application. As he is dependent , he is included in your tax returns. This question will arise only during the interview. Give copies of your tax return for last 5 years to your father and let him be conversant about it and reply if IO questions. When the IO asks whether he is filing tax return, he should say he earns nothing and tax return is filed by son and he has copies to show. The IO would promptly go to next question.

For the absence more than 6 months, he should able to give reason if questioned. If it is only one trip exceeding 6 months it may be overlooked. Depends on IO/DO and your father's luck.