State residency requirement for N400

formerf1

Registered Users (C)
to all

In the naturalization guide: It is mentioned that one needs to be a resident of a state for at least 30 days for the DO to adjudicate n400. It also mentions that a student can apply where s/he goes to school or where his/her parents live. Can someone please clarify this to me?

1- does this mean a student need not be resident of the state (meaning getting DL license etc...) long as s/he attends school there ?

please reply urgently !

thanks in advance

The guide states 3 months district residency requirement, not 30 days.
Student have the choice of applying where they go to school, or from their parents place if they are financially dependent, provided they have resided at least 3 months in the area (school campus or parents).

thanks Bobsmyth!!!

I meant to say 3 months. so I guess a school tanscript should be fine as a proof of residency at the time of interview right ?

Also have u any idea about the New Orleans DO timeline ?

New Orleans has historically been a pretty bad district office in terms of processing times (at least as reported by USCIS, I don't have any practical experience). It might be better now. The reported official time is July 2008, but San Jose reports the same and I understand the current (in practice) processing time is much better. What is your other choice for district office?

You can check processing times here: https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/ptimes.jsp

Still undecided btw NY and NO DO....And the lack of NO timelines in the forum is not helping!

The timelines change without notice, past timelines are no indication of future timelines.
If you are a student in one DO, and your parents live in the other DO, I suggest you apply where it is easy for you to complete the process. Convenient to travel for finger printing, interview, oath, etc.