• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Starting Work after entry

Ausman21

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I am entering the US for the 1st time since my successful interview this weekend. Does anyone know if you can start working as soon as you get to the US on the visa that they put in your passport or you have to wait for the card in the mail??

Hi All,

I am entering the US for the 1st time since my successful interview this weekend. Does anyone know if you can start working as soon as you get to the US on the visa that they put in your passport or you have to wait for the card in the mail??

Are you already employed in the US? I think this question can be asnwered by those who are already in the US. But what I know is that without the SSN you cannot start any work in the US.

The card does not matter. Find the nearest SSA office, and apply for your SSN. You can begin work once you have a SSN. Now finding work is a different question.

All cases are different, but it took me about 10 days to get my SSN, but that gives you time to send out your resume, and go for interviews, if you don't have a job yet. Good Luck.

The SSN takes a few days to arrive. In the meantime you can apply/start looking for jobs. Tell your potential employer that you are a Legal Resident.

Hi All,

You can apply for a job without the SSN card yet in the mail but you have to show it when hired...since unemployment is so high and not going down yet (maybe some inflated numbers will come out due to seasonal employees being hired in Dec. which are now without job again), you might want to start sooner than later and if you have great papers to show you might be able to get a job :)
Apply asap for the SSN, when we came here before 9/11 they gave the # right away but the card came later, maybe that has changed just like almost everything after 9/11...

You can apply for a job without the SSN card yet in the mail but you have to show it when hired...since unemployment is so high and not going down yet (maybe some inflated numbers will come out due to seasonal employees being hired in Dec. which are now without job again), you might want to start sooner than later and if you have great papers to show you might be able to get a job :)
Apply asap for the SSN, when we came here before 9/11 they gave the # right away but the card came later, maybe that has changed just like almost everything after 9/11...

Is it really that hard to find a job? I mean If I'm still at college or studying,can't I find jobs at a dinner or anything that pays the minimum wage ? sorry I went off topic,But I was just curious

Is it really that hard to find a job? I mean If I'm still at college or studying,can't I find jobs at a dinner or anything that pays the minimum wage ? sorry I went off topic,But I was just curious

Not necessarily Rockstarw. It used to be like that when the economy was okay, but since it went belly up, your regular professional is now competing with college kids for those minimum wage jobs. Even though the economy is on the recovery (and they say that because less jobs are being cut than projected !!) its getting harder to find any kid of job. Speaking of which, a colleague of mine just got cut today - an engineer. But its not all gloom. He'll most likely find a job by the end of next week.

But back to the original question, it all depends. Some employers will look consider your temporary green card permit while your actual green card is being processed. Others will reject it. The most important thing, as has been mentioned, is to apply for your SSN asap and start looking for work immediately. Your SSN & GC could be quickly processed. Mine arrived in 2 weeks.

Oh, and welcome to America.