SSN query

svsip

Registered Users (C)
Hi folks,

I got my passport stamped on march 31, 2005.

My social security card has "Valid for work only with INS authorization" on it.

Same is the case with my wife's social security card.

Do both of us have to reapply for social security? What does the new card say?

Appreciate your help. thanks

svsip said:
Do both of us have to reapply for social security? What does the new card say?

You don't have to, but it'll probably make life simpler down the road. Just go to the SSA office with your stamped passports, fill out the SS-5 again and submit it. It'll take 8-12 weeks for SSA to verify your new status and provide the new cards, that look just like a citizen's.

Had my passport stamped 03/21/05, applied for new SS card (without work authorization restriction) on 03/30/05, my new SS card (with the same old number) arrived today. Unrestricted card works better for your credit approvals, mortgage loans etc.

never knew that...my ssc still says "not valid for employent" ... I came as a student several years ago...have been getting a paycheck for atleast 11 years ... go figure

Should I apply for new SSC?

I received a SSC when I was a student in New York (card was supposed to say "Not Valid for Employment" but mine didn't. Never used it anyway. Now 10 years later I have been approved for GC - should I use this old SSC or apply for a new one?

BCIS stamped our passport on 05/17/05 and applied SS card on 05/17. They told us we will received SS Card with in 10 days.